Nations League 2024-2025 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League 2024-2025

Rich NATA

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

It may be too soon to know, but I'll ask regardless - What are the requirements to get a World Cup playoff spot via the Nations League? 

This is what I seen online:

World Cup qualifying starts in 2025, and the 12 European group winners will automatically qualify. 

Twelve runners-up will then enter play-offs, but there will be four other spots, which will be taken by the four best-ranked Nations League group winners who have not finished first or second in regular qualifying.

This means teams who are unlikely to finish top or second when qualifying starts can still make the World Cup via a good Nations League campaign.

7 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

This is what I seen online:

World Cup qualifying starts in 2025, and the 12 European group winners will automatically qualify. 

Twelve runners-up will then enter play-offs, but there will be four other spots, which will be taken by the four best-ranked Nations League group winners who have not finished first or second in regular qualifying.

This means teams who are unlikely to finish top or second when qualifying starts can still make the World Cup via a good Nations League campaign.

Key phrase here is "group winners", something to aim for. 

Edited by romanticscot

6 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Brilliant draw if you ask me. Glamour games against Portugal, good chance of not being relegated back down straight away!

You know, in our 150 year long history, we have never been relegated. England on the other hand.........

Just to remember fokes,they changed the rules of the nation league again, the top 2 go into a qualter final phase. 3rd gose into a relgation playoff with a 2nd place team in Group B and bottum gose straight down. So still a lot to play for to not finish last.

59 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Key phrase here is "group winners", something to aim for. 

This is the bit that doesnt make sence to me. You would think allnof the Group A league winners will finish in the top 2 of the actual qualifiers meaning the nations league playoff route will be group winners from groups B or even C.

Unless im reading it wrong.

You could easily have the 4 group winners in Group A and and at least 2 from group B (England almost a certainty) to finish in top 2 in actual qualifiers meaning 2 of the group C winners get a playoff place where teams like us dont even if we finished 2nd top in our nations league group.

Football wise not too worried.Fan wise not so good.With over 1 million Poles in the uk desperate to prove how Polish they are and on the look out for tickets i think we should do the same as Wales are doing for their euro play off(possibly against Poland) and restrict the public sale to those that have bought home tickets for their previous Euro qualifiers.

3 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Football wise not too worried.Fan wise not so good.With over 1 million Poles in the uk desperate to prove how Polish they are and on the look out for tickets i think we should do the same as Wales are doing for their euro play off(possibly against Poland) and restrict the public sale to those that have bought home tickets for their previous Euro qualifiers.

This. They were absolute Bobbys last time. 

Also they nicked my flag when we were in Warsaw. Fandans.

J

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

This is the bit that doesnt make sence to me. You would think allnof the Group A league winners will finish in the top 2 of the actual qualifiers meaning the nations league playoff route will be group winners from groups B or even C.

Unless im reading it wrong.

You could easily have the 4 group winners in Group A and and at least 2 from group B (England almost a certainty) to finish in top 2 in actual qualifiers meaning 2 of the group C winners get a playoff place where teams like us dont even if we finished 2nd top in our nations league group.

Thems the breaks. Remember we were Pot C when we got into Euro 2020. Plenty of better teams missed out. 

J

9 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Thems the breaks. Remember we were Pot C when we got into Euro 2020. Plenty of better teams missed out. 

J

Group winners in League C automatically go into the playoffs for the Euros and not at the expense of anyone else. Just like this years one, being the Path C winners who are in the playoffs (Greece, Georgia, Kazakhstan & Luxembourg).

The Nations League determining of who gets a play off spot for the Euros is different to how it operates for the World Cup edition as obviously lesser teams involved. We will need to wait and see closer to the time when the conclusion of those World Cup qualifying groups are concluded and what the picture is.

36 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Got a definate nasty element in their support.Should try and make it as hard as possible for them to get their hands on tickets.Minimum allocation and only sell to folk who purchased tickets for our euro qualifiers home games.Nasty edge to the 2-2 draw game at Hampden a few years back.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Got a definate nasty element in their support.Should try and make it as hard as possible for them to get their hands on tickets.Minimum allocation and only sell to folk who purchased tickets for our euro qualifiers home games.Nasty edge to the 2-2 draw game at Hampden a few years back.

Last time we played them at Hampden, got chatting to a bunch of Poland fans in the North Stand... all were SSC members from Stoke.. had joined to get tix when we had played them in qualifiers and we were struggling to fill Hampden 

Edited by GLOSTA
typos

1 hour ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

I was sat with DubTA in Murray's Bar on O'Connell Street the night of the 2-2 draw. It's like the UN in there on matchdays, with every Euro game on at least one of their hunners of tellys.

Sitting behind a table of Poles, I'll never forget the bawbag that turned round and gave me the finger when Poland scored their late equaliser

6 minutes ago, GLOSTA said:

Last time we played them at Hampden, got chatting to a bunch of Poland fans in the North Stand... all were SSC members from Stoke.. had joined to get tix when we had played them in qualifiers and we were struggling to fill Hampden 

Don't know if you can do anything about Poles who have joined the ssc.However that must be a small amount.More concerned about the public sale after the ssc member sale.That should be limited to supporters who bought tickets for our euro qualifiers.That's what the wales fa are doing for their euro play off games(which will probably be v Poland).

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I bet Ian Maxwells eyes lit up as soon as he saw we drew Portugal. I wonder how much he’ll charge per ticket to see the 🐐 

Messi plays for Argentina 

48 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don't know if you can do anything about Poles who have joined the ssc.However that must be a small amount.More concerned about the public sale after the ssc member sale.That should be limited to supporters who bought tickets for our euro qualifiers.That's what the wales fa are doing for their euro play off games(which will probably be v Poland).

I hope we do the same but knowing how the SFA operate, money is going to be at the forefront of their minds so won't be surprised if the public sale after the SSC one is a free for all.

Poland should be a realistic four points to avoid relegation which is the realistic aim.

Think likes of Modric and Perisic are retiring at Euro 2024 so while they'll still have a very good team inevitably they'll be a bit of transition.

This is a good group with some top away trips so can't ask any more than that.

Also seems a few in these nations groups then draw each other again in the qualifiers. Poland would be a very good top seed to get as they won't get near qualifying once Lewandowski retires and he might call it a day after the euros.