Euro24 Squad Make-Up - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro24 Squad Make-Up

Caledonian Craig

Well we are going to Germany. I'd imagine it will be 26 man squads being named for it.

For us we have a very settled squad just now and I cannot see a heck of a lot changing for the Euro24 squad. Steve Clarke knows who he can rely/depend on and I reckon our squad will look something like this:-

GOALKEEPERS

Zander Clark

Craig Gordon

Angus Gunn

DEFENDERS

Grant Hanley

Jack Hendry

Aaron Hickey

Scott McKenna

Nathan Patterson

Ryan Porteous

Andy Robertson

Kieran Tierney

John Souttar

MIDFIELDERS

Stuart Armstrong

Lewis Ferguson

Billy Gilmour

Ryan Jack

John McGinn

Callum McGregor

Kenny McLean

Scott McTominay

STRIKERS

Che Adams

Ben Doak

Lyndon Dykes

Ryan Christie

Kevin Nisbet

Lawrence Shankland

Of course there is time for others to force themselves into the reckoning such as Ross Stewart, Tommy Conway, David Turnbull, Ryan Fraser, Josh Doig and no doubt a few others. The basic make-up of the squad will look something very close to this though barring the odd injury here and there.

Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t see must chance of Fraser coming back into the picture.

Agree with most of the defence, Hickey, Patterson, Robbo, Tierney, Porteous, Hendry & McKenna nailed on, might be 2 from 3 from Hanley, Souttar & Cooper.

Not sure if Jack will still feature.

Would love to see Doak make it as we can be short of ideas up front, he’d give us something different.

Not sure if there’s room for Nisbet & Shankland?

Obviously, we’ll be praying for no injuries.

Just now, The Black Bra said:

Agree with most of the defence, Hickey, Patterson, Robbo, Tierney, Porteous, Hendry & McKenna nailed on, might be 2 from 3 from Hanley, Souttar & Cooper.

Would love to see Doak make it as we can be short of ideas up front, he’d give us something different.

Yes the squad I listed is probably a player too heavy on the striker front and one light in midfield or defence. Agreed Jack may not be in the squad by then but who'd he be removed for?

Great incentive for some players not currently on the radar. Adding to your list CG, both McCrories, Ramsey at Liverpool, Lowry, Gauld and is there a way back for players like Forrest and Fraser? Also build in "eligibles" like Barnes and Anderson who might want to be included now. Intriguing couple of months coming up.

4 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Great incentive for some players not currently on the radar. Adding to your list CG, both McCrories, Ramsey at Liverpool, Lowry, Gauld and is there a way back for players like Forrest and Fraser? Also build in "eligibles" like Barnes and Anderson who might want to be included now. Intriguing couple of months coming up.

I cannot see Ramsey featuring as he has not featured on loan for Preston (injured?). Lowry is an outside shout but Forrest's days have long past and he cannot even get a run in the Celtic side. Fraser may have burnt his bridges for the last time but who knows if he finds a rich vein of form. Barnes and Anderson now very doubtful I reckon.

58 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

A lot will depend on what happens with the new manager at Ibrox. If he likes Jack and plays him regularly and if (it’s a big if in all honesty) he can stay fit then there’s no reason he won’t still be in the squad.

Clarke picks Jack just now when he’s not playing that much for Rangers so unless some other midfielders stake a claim then Jack has every chance. 

Agree that the forward area has at least 1 too many forwards. Reckon he will take 4 strikers who will be Adams, Dykes and 2 others.

If Doak goes which he will if he gets sufficient game time at Liverpool then he goes as an attacking midfielder. Reckon Jack gets picked unless a defensivie mid makes a push and Jack is either injured or out the picture at Rangers.

My wild card is Max Johnstone. Would be risky going into a tournament with only 2 RBs, especially when 1 is also cover for LB. 

I’d love to see Craig Gordon make a tournament as he was unbelievable for us, you’d think it may be a struggle for him to make it back into the reckoning though. 

You could also argue the experience would be better given to Robby McCrorie but he needs to get his arse in gear and leave Rangers.

On that list Ryan Jack would be lucky to make it. Squad places for guys like Ryan Jack & Kevin Nisbet may be taken by the likes of Elliot Anderson or Harvey Barnes. Both will now be keener than they were last week funnily enough..!

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

I’d love to see Craig Gordon make a tournament as he was unbelievable for us, you’d think it may be a struggle for him to make it back into the reckoning though. 

You could also argue the experience would be better given to Robby McCrorie but he needs to get his arse in gear and leave Rangers.

On that list Ryan Jack would be lucky to make it. Squad places for guys like Ryan Jack & Kevin Nisbet may be taken by the likes of Elliot Anderson or Harvey Barnes. Both will now be keener than they were last week funnily enough..!

Well fans aren't keen on Zander Clark being in Scotland squad so don't see where this thought (from some) that Craig Gordon won't get back in the Hearts side. If he does that then I see no reason why he won't get back in our squad given the alternatives too. On Ryan Jack I do feel he is at the crossroads now and could end up like John Fleck for us from the last Euros as in - on his way out. However, if Clement integrates him back into the first team then he will probably keep his place in our squad. Nisbet too is borderline but at present he is a squad regular so its up to others to remove him from the squad. Anderson or Barnes I won't comment on for obvious reasons.

Outsiders

Keepers,

MCcrorie

Defenders,

Johnstone

Bowat

Binks

Hyam 

Doig

Mid,

Holsgrove

Gauld

Barnes

Irving

Doak

Anderson

Striker,

Conway

On current form these guys may be surprise considerations but still time for others especially if injurys happen who knows. Maybe a few moves in Jan may help get some further progress. 

11 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Outsiders

Keepers,

MCcrorie

Defenders,

Johnstone

Bowat

Binks

Hyam 

Doig

Mid,

Holsgrove

Gauld

Barnes

Irving

Doak

Anderson

Striker,

Conway

On current form these guys may be surprise considerations but still time for others especially if injurys happen who knows. Maybe a few moves in Jan may help get some further progress. 

Just thinking how many slots are up for grabs I wonder? I have no doubt about two thirds of the squad are guaranteed a spot in the squad those being Gunn, Hanley, Hendry, Hickey, Patterson, Porteous, Robertson, Tierney, Armstrong, Ferguson, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Adams, Christie and Dykes. That leaves maybe eight places up in the air.

6 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Outsiders

Keepers,

MCcrorie

Defenders,

Johnstone

Bowat

Binks

Hyam 

Doig

Mid,

Holsgrove

Gauld

Barnes

Irving

Doak

Anderson

Striker,

Conway

I hope a few of the above list push on & give Clarke some food for thought. The ones I particularly like in are

Doak ( 100% we nearly all agree)

Anderson & Barnes( quality players who would improve us but we all know the reasons they may not make it)

I'd also like a couple of youngsters to be integrated into the squad even if they don't play. 

The likes of Conway, Binks , Johnston & even Calvin Ramsey ( when he is finally fit) would be the ones most likely I reckon .

I'd also still like Clarke to have a closer look at Ryan Gauld especially if Anderson finally knocks us back.

From our current squad even though the spirit is fantastic Clarke has to start to freshen it up, we don't want to end up like the end of the Craig Brown era when our squad needed a total overall due to its age.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just thinking how many slots are up for grabs I wonder? I have no doubt about two thirds of the squad are guaranteed a spot in the squad those being Gunn, Hanley, Hendry, Hickey, Patterson, Porteous, Robertson, Tierney, Armstrong, Ferguson, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Adams, Christie and Dykes. That leaves maybe eight places up in the air.

That list of guarantees looks about right though maybe Hanley isn't so sure if his place, the guys getting on & had his fair share of injuries. Even though he is club captain at Norwich let's see if he is a automatic pick for them when he is fit again.

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

From our current squad even though the spirit is fantastic Clarke has to start to freshen it up, we don't want to end up like the end of the Craig Brown era when our squad needed a total overall due to its age.

Fair point but the international football scene has changed a lot since then. Back in Craig Brown's era there were numerous friendlies offering ideal opportunities to experiment and give youngsters a chance. Now those chances are few and far between as we now have the Nations League as well as Euro and World Cup Qualifiers saturating the fixture list. All matches results are important now so chances to experiment and blood youngsters are few and far between.

14 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Craig Gordon will be 41 in December so I can't see him even becoming a regular for Hearts again. I doubt Jack will be in and I'd wager it will be Shankland OR Nesbit.

He'd easily be our 2nd choice keeper if fit. I think he'll be Hearts number 1 by time Euros come round.

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

McKenna and Porteous will be picked I’m fairly certain.

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well we are going to Germany. I'd imagine it will be 26 man squads being named for it.

For us we have a very settled squad just now and I cannot see a heck of a lot changing for the Euro24 squad. Steve Clarke knows who he can rely/depend on and I reckon our squad will look something like this:-

GOALKEEPERS

Zander Clark

Craig Gordon

Angus Gunn

DEFENDERS

Grant Hanley

Jack Hendry

Aaron Hickey

Scott McKenna

Nathan Patterson

Ryan Porteous

Andy Robertson

Kieran Tierney

John Souttar

MIDFIELDERS

Stuart Armstrong

Lewis Ferguson

Billy Gilmour

Ryan Jack

John McGinn

Callum McGregor

Kenny McLean

Scott McTominay

STRIKERS

Che Adams

Ben Doak

Lyndon Dykes

Ryan Christie

Kevin Nisbet

Lawrence Shankland

Of course there is time for others to force themselves into the reckoning such as Ross Stewart, Tommy Conway, David Turnbull, Ryan Fraser, Josh Doig and no doubt a few others. The basic make-up of the squad will look something very close to this though barring the odd injury here and there.

Thoughts?

Pretty much nailed it with that list. Can't see it being much different. 

Just wether ben doak makes the cut.

I think the OP squad is more or less correct, with Doak replacing Jacob Brown from the current set up.

I would like to see Gauld given a chance, certainly over Anderson. I’m very confident Gauld would have controlled and scored from that through ball McGinn played to Christie versus Spain. The thing with Gauld is he’s physically much stronger than when he was last in Scotland. His stats are off the charts in the MLS. He might have a chance if he moves to Europe in January.

I would imagine Max Johnston will also be in with a shout.

Edited by er yir macaroon

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Outsiders

Keepers,

MCcrorie

Defenders,

Johnstone

Bowat

Binks

Hyam 

Doig

Mid,

Holsgrove

Gauld

Barnes

Irving

Doak

Anderson

Striker,

Conway

You missed out McBurnie or do you think he is an automatic pick😉