Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

4 hours ago, dan cake said:

We’ll find out if/when he’s picked for the next squad, simples 🤷‍♂️ 

I don't like speculation at all but it's not so simple it seems, it's a weird one as Anderson is saying his international future isn't decided yet. That sounds to me like his injury was very convenient. Maybe the Southgate quote did turn his head a bit. We might never know but one things for Sure he won't make any future Scotland squad unless he is 100% committed . Sadly that might not happen for a couple of years when he still hasn't had a sniff for them. 

Many on here will say fck him but as he is a grandparent qualifying player I'd still happily except him then if he is a mark up on what we have.

Chances of him being in/ committed for our Spain squad are next to nil I reckon.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I don't like speculation at all but it's not so simple it seems, it's a weird one as Anderson is saying his international future isn't decided yet. That sounds to me like his injury was very convenient. Maybe the Southgate quote did turn his head a bit. We might never know but one things for Sure he won't make any future Scotland squad unless he is 100% committed . Sadly that might not happen for a couple of years when he still hasn't had a sniff for them. 

Many on here will say fck him but as he is a grandparent qualifying player I'd still happily except him then if he is a mark up on what we have.

Chances of him being in/ committed for our Spain squad are next to nil I reckon.

All speculation and internet bollocks, Clarke makes the decisions and he’ll know what’s going on. Message boards won’t be deciding Scotland squad selection 

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Michael Owen made his debut at 18 for England, he turned 19 later that year.  Owen was a first choice player at Liverpool when he made his debut for England. 

What players have Spain picked that haven't started a first team game yet?

I'd love Doak to be in the squad. can see why he might not be for a wee while yet though. 

Let's stick to facts. 

Agreed. 

No need to rush him into the full team. 

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Strange interview considering he supposedly told Clarke he wanted to play for us but it reads like he’s not decided and is therefore open to playing for England. 

Wouldn’t be calling him up again unless he’s absolutely sure. 

It sounds like he's reverted back to his position of a few months ago, which was he hadn't made his mind up about his international future and was just concentrating on his club career. Which, at the time, I thought was fair enough.

What's not clear to me though is who made the first move that resulted in his call-up this month. Did Clarke get in touch with him and say "so, have you made your mind up yet, Elliot?"; or did Anderson get in touch with him to say he had, before very quickly changing it back again?

If it is the former then I can understand why he might have felt "bounced" into making a decision he wasn't ready to make but if that's the case then why not just say so? If it's the latter though then that's less forgivable because it's messing people around. 

14 hours ago, dan cake said:

All speculation and internet bollocks, Clarke makes the decisions and he’ll know what’s going on. Message boards won’t be deciding Scotland squad selection 

Doesn't mean we're not allowed to have an opinion on it. Stuff like this, for me, risks devaluing the jersey. 

53 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It sounds like he's reverted back to his position of a few months ago, which was he hadn't made his mind up about his international future and was just concentrating on his club career. Which, at the time, I thought was fair enough.

What's not clear to me though is who made the first move that resulted in his call-up this month. Did Clarke get in touch with him and say "so, have you made your mind up yet, Elliot?"; or did Anderson get in touch with him to say he had, before very quickly changing it back again?

If it is the former then I can understand why he might have felt "bounced" into making a decision he wasn't ready to make but if that's the case then why not just say so? If it's the latter though then that's less forgivable because it's messing people around. 

I don’t think it sounds good either way, he is 20 not 12. If he hadn’t got as far as turning up at the training camp it wouldn’t look so bad.
I wouldn’t be losing any sleep over him. 

16 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Doesn't mean we're not allowed to have an opinion on it. Stuff like this, for me, risks devaluing the jersey. 

I started writing this to say his action/inaction doesn’t devalue the jersey but it absolutely does!

the squirming indecision of a lad who clearly wants England but doubts he’ll make it. Don’t worry son, keep pissing about hoping for Gareth to choose you always mindful that we’ll give you a shot in a few years.

He’s doing the right thing for him (as he clearly has no concept of what international football should be about), but the wrong thing for us & international football as a whole. As Tyder says, turning up and then bailing …… and playing for his club on the Saturday is not a good look.

……but all that has all been said many times before…… even about players I now hypocritically cheer 

3 hours ago, ger intae them said:

I started writing this to say his action/inaction doesn’t devalue the jersey but it absolutely does!

the squirming indecision of a lad who clearly wants England but doubts he’ll make it. Don’t worry son, keep pissing about hoping for Gareth to choose you always mindful that we’ll give you a shot in a few years.

He’s doing the right thing for him (as he clearly has no concept of what international football should be about), but the wrong thing for us & international football as a whole. As Tyder says, turning up and then bailing …… and playing for his club on the Saturday is not a good look.

……but all that has all been said many times before…… even about players I now hypocritically cheer 

Yep, couldn't agree more. 

On 9/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

I hope he has it, the highlights look brilliant but not sure he’s ready for the full team. Sure call him up just to get him involved but he seems pretty raw, as you’d expect at 17 with so little first team experience. 

No need to rush it, he’ll get a game when he’s ready. 

His final ball has been pish anytime I've seen him. Needs to learn to get his head up and make a pass instead of hogging it at times too. Undoubtedly has talent but definitely needs a bit of refinement 

On 9/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

As has Spain who selected a 16-year-old. As had England when selecting Michael Owen. As have several other countries around the world.

A 16 year old who is playing for Barcelona every week 😂 and is miles ahead of doak in quality. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If I were Clarke I would not make it easy for him. Name him in the next squad and if England do the same he then has made his choice if/when he pulls out of Scotland squad.

I wouldn’t. I’d leave him to wither in the international wilderness. He’ll never play for England and watch him come crawling back when he realises that. 

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If I were Clarke I would not make it easy for him. Name him in the next squad and if England do the same he then has made his choice if/when he pulls out of Scotland squad.

There’s no point naming somebody in a squad if they don’t want to be in it. You’d just make yourself look silly, or desperate.  

I’d ask him if he was interested, but I doubt he’d say yes. 

I said at the start I didn't want him we were obviously the easy option. Loads of folk thought it was great he was choosing us 🤷‍♂️ he's English get him to fuck and don't give him another chance when he doesn't get picked for them 

On 9/18/2023 at 10:01 PM, dan cake said:

Yes exactly this. Close thread until the next squad is out. In the meantime keep your head out of the Sun and Daily Record