Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/13/2023 at 11:07 AM, TDYER63 said:

😆 The Daily Mail. with a 37% truth rate. Its no like them to be controversial is it.

Cmon Scotlad you are better than that 😉

I wouldn't trust anything in that rag. Particularly one which seems to run Scotland down at every possible opportunity. It's between Anderson and Clarke. Until it's proven otherwise I'll go along with the original story that he withdrew because of injury. 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Think we should just move on from this. An unwelcome and unnecessary distraction. 

Unfortunately might have the same next international break with Barnes. 😠

If it turns out to be the case, I hope it'll put Clarke off going down the same path with Barnes.

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Think we should just move on from this. An unwelcome and unnecessary distraction. 

Unfortunately might have the same next international break with Barnes. 😠

Barnes is in a bit of different position though. Unlike Anderson, at 25 he doesn't have the option of playing in the U21s for a while to see how it goes, it's the senior team or nothing, and clearly England aren't interested in selecting him.

That said, if someone like Anderson, who has represented Scotland from the U16s up to the U21s, can be so fickle about a call-up to the senior side  - if the reports are true - then it makes you wonder how someone who has seemingly shown no inclination towards playing for Scotland until very recently might behave.

Still suspect the media are just milking this.....

Almost all the articles I have read have a "didn't enjoy" quote in the headline, and then make ZERO reference to it in the body of the article, and just speculate that Southgate will have a crack at him because he is still eligible.

If Tuesday showed anything, its is that England will have no need for him much longer than he thinks.  

If there is any story to it, my gut feeling is Anderson got cold feet with the thought of the England game, but think simple story is he picked up a knock, and Newcastle did not want him going on a 4 hour flight across Europe just a day later.

Until either Clarke or Anderson make a statement, it's just all speculation.

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Barnes is in a bit of different position though. Unlike Anderson, at 25 he doesn't have the option of playing in the U21s for a while to see how it goes, it's the senior team or nothing, and clearly England aren't interested in selecting him.

That said, if someone like Anderson, who has represented Scotland from the U16s up to the U21s, can be so fickle about a call-up to the senior side  - if the reports are true - then it makes you wonder how someone who has seemingly shown no inclination towards playing for Scotland until very recently might behave.

I’d never heard of the guy until a few weeks ago, but he’s apparently been non-commital even with the u21’s - so no surprise to see him do a u-turn.  

Heart clearly isn’t in it, but trying to work out what’s best for his career, balanced with his main hope to play for England. 

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Still suspect the media are just milking this.....

Almost all the articles I have read have a "didn't enjoy" quote in the headline, and then make ZERO reference to it in the body of the article, and just speculate that Southgate will have a crack at him because he is still eligible.

If Tuesday showed anything, its is that England will have no need for him much longer than he thinks.  

If there is any story to it, my gut feeling is Anderson got cold feet with the thought of the England game, but think simple story is he picked up a knock, and Newcastle did not want him going on a 4 hour flight across Europe just a day later.

Until either Clarke or Anderson make a statement, it's just all speculation.

I didn't hear Clarke say "He's committed to Scotland." I think this is more than idle speculation.

Somebody needs to close this thread,  until we actually know the facts what's the point in speculating!

I used to live for the transfer rumours when I was a kid , now I'm nearly 60 i would rather live in the real world! Don't read any rag like the Sun or Record for the simple already stated obvious reason they aren't to be trusted.

They might be right occasionally but more often than not they aren't & never apologize, on this occasion I'd rather wait & see. No statements from Clarke or Anderson makes me rather concerned but until I hear something official I'm not going to speculate.

Now Barnes is getting in the ear, a guy that apparently dreams to play for England. There are no genuine sources yet that he is considering switching & until there is let's also give him a rest.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Liverpool have 2 Europa League games and a league cup game between now and then. So he may have gained significant game time by then.  So, I think you're right. 

That would be a fantastic pick me up after the last few days.

Definitely, can't wait for him to be called up 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think Doak will be in the squad next month, 

Doesn’t seem likely from what Clarke has said in the last couple of days although the papers are suggesting that may be the case because Clarke praised his performance against Spain. He also said your need to let these players “grow a bit” which would suggest to me he’s not planning on picking him yet.

I hope you’re right though.  

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Doesn’t seem likely from what Clarke has said in the last couple of days although the papers are suggesting that may be the case because Clarke praised his performance against Spain. He also said your need to let these players “grow a bit” which would suggest to me he’s not planning on picking him yet.

Off the top of my head, Clarke has called up 4 teenagers already - Gilmour, Patterson, Hickey and Ramsay. 

Doig and Anderson were only 20 when they were called up, albeit they didn't get a cap. Turnbull was only 21.

I reckon Clarke is just being diplomatic, as he has shown he has absolutely no aversion to calling up players when they are still very young.

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Off the top of my head, Clarke has called up 4 teenagers already - Gilmour, Patterson, Hickey and Ramsay. 

Doig and Anderson were only 20 when they were called up, albeit they didn't get a cap. Turnbull was only 21.

I reckon Clarke is just being diplomatic, as he has shown he has absolutely no aversion to calling up players when they are still very young.

I don’t think any of those guys were 17 though were they?

I have no doubt Clarke will call Doak up when he is still a teenager but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it was next month. 

I think if he gets the game time in europa and the cups that has been suggested then he’ll get the call up. At the moment, though, he hasn’t really played too many meaningful minutes. Either way, it’s probably just a matter of time and if we qualify in the next round of games it gives Clarke a great opportunity to hone the squad and look at new options well in advance of the euros.

3 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

I think if he gets the game time in europa and the cups that has been suggested then he’ll get the call up. At the moment, though, he hasn’t really played too many meaningful minutes. Either way, it’s probably just a matter of time and if we qualify in the next round of games it gives Clarke a great opportunity to hone the squad and look at new options well in advance of the euros.

If we do qualify next month our last 2 games would still be very important in terms of our seeding at the finals so o I doubt Clarke would be using them to try anything new. That doesn’t mean Doak won’t be in the squad of course but it would probably limit his involvement to a couple of late sub appearances. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think any of those guys were 17 though were they?

I have no doubt Clarke will call Doak up when he is still a teenager but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it was next month. 

If you are old enough you are good enough. Spain pitched a 16-year-old into their side against Georgia and he scored.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think he will be in & will get some minutes vs France 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If you are old enough you are good enough. Spain pitched a 16-year-old into their side against Georgia and he scored.

I didn’t say otherwise. I just stated what I thought Clarke would do. 

Young players who are “good enough” do tend to play more regularly for their clubs than Doak is at the moment though.

There’s no doubt that Doak will be a huge player for us in future but that doesn’t mean Clarke will promote him to the senior squad next month or even in November. He may well do but I’m not convinced.