Back of the envelope - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Back of the envelope

biffer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF we can win tonight and beat Cyprus away, qualification is almost certain as Norway would have to beat Spain AND Georgia at home to catch us which further damages both of them. 

I wouldnt be giving up on points in any of the other games though. 

There is always the chance we could throw in a stinker at some point and spoil our chances. But equally, where we are just now, we should be targetting topping the group.

Effectively if we win tonight, we only need 5 points from our remaining games 5 games, and that is relying on Norway and Georgia beating Spain.

I would say win tonight and its as good as 1 foot in the finals (even better if Cyprus can take something off Norway), and probably a win in Cyprus will clinch it (with Spain seeing off Georgia that night)

40 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Effectively if we win tonight, we only need 5 points from our remaining games 5 games, and that is relying on Norway and Georgia beating Spain.

Judging by previous performances we could still mess things up but the group seems to have more resilience and hopefully we've learnt from past mistakes. 

I haven't looked at what it would take to qualify, I am hoping and I do believe this team could finish with a record points tally in qualifying. this will create the winning mentality needed to get out of the group stages in Germany. 

The mentality required is that every single match you pull on that Scotland jersey means something even if you have qualified. If we win the next two matches, why not look to win the group?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the earliest we can mathematically qualify is the 11th September games (we don't play that night).

(WIN) Scotland vs Georgia

Norway vs Cyprus (WIN/DRAW)

Cyprus vs Scotland (WIN)

(WIN) Spain vs Georgia

(WIN/DRAW) Norway vs Georgia

(WIN/DRAW) Spain vs Cyprus

Some of the results can be flipped around a bit but essentially if we win the next two and Spain beat Georgia, we just need the Norway vs Georgia and possibly the Spain vs Cyprus game to go the way we want.

If Norway were to win tonight a draw for them vs Georgia would see us qualify too.

Unlikely but not impossible.

Going into the last round of fixtures purely for argument sake

Spain   18 points (shit themselves so basically beat everyone since losing to us with Georgia left tp play)

Scotland 13 points (wheels come off only beating Cyprus and drawing h to Georgia with Norway at home to go)

Georgia 11 points (4 points from Scotland but still need to beat Spain and hope Scotland can't beat Norway)

Norway 10 points (need to beat us for 2nd) 

We've put ourselves in a great position and that's all it is at the moment- no point pulling a cracker only to spunk your pants at her front door.

However it makes a nice change having to calculate methodologies of potentially fucking it up rather than qualifying 😆 

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Going into the last round of fixtures purely for argument sake

Spain   18 points (shit themselves so basically beat everyone since losing to us with Georgia left tp play)

Scotland 13 points (wheels come off only beating Cyprus and drawing h to Georgia with Norway at home to go)

Georgia 11 points (4 points from Scotland but still need to beat Spain and hope Scotland can't beat Norway)

Norway 10 points (need to beat us for 2nd) 

We've put ourselves in a great position and that's all it is at the moment- no point pulling a cracker only to spunk your pants at her front door.

However it makes a nice change having to calculate methodologies of potentially fucking it up rather than qualifying 😆 

🤣

Spot on

Read a report that seedlings for the Group Stage next summer are based on points gained in the qualifiers so we have a really good opportunity to get as high as possible. 

Also, I was listening to a podcast last night and they had a Norwegian journalist on who said there's a bit of tension in the Norwegian dressing room about how many games Haaland has missed. I think we might see him miss a few more now that qualification is looking less likely. Hopefully something else that will play into our hands as couldn't cope needing a result in the final game against them at Hampden.

1 minute ago, JandC said:

Read a report that seedlings for the Group Stage next summer are based on points gained in the qualifiers so we have a really good opportunity to get as high as possible. 

Also, I was listening to a podcast last night and they had a Norwegian journalist on who said there's a bit of tension in the Norwegian dressing room about how many games Haaland has missed. I think we might see him miss a few more now that qualification is looking less likely. Hopefully something else that will play into our hands as couldn't cope needing a result in the final game against them at Hampden.

24 caps 22-23 but given played 5 years does seem Giggs level patchy.

Could be done with them keeping Spain honest and getting points off Georgia maybe.

Wouldn't fancy needing a win v them last game with Haaland on the shoulder of last man either though!

12 minutes ago, JandC said:

Well it is not out of the question that Norway will be out by the time they come to Hampden. I cannot see Haaland playing if that is the case with Man City matches coming thick and fast domestically and in Europe.

37 minutes ago, JandC said:

We are currently 3rd in the overall qualifying rankings behind England and France who have played a game more than us. We could go second tonight but we’d need to win by 3 goals which seems a stretch.

Not that it really matters where we are at the moment in that table but the more points we earn and the more goals we score the better. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

24 caps 22-23 but given played 5 years does seem Giggs level patchy.

Could be done with them keeping Spain honest and getting points off Georgia maybe.

Wouldn't fancy needing a win v them last game with Haaland on the shoulder of last man either though!

To be fair, its not really that bad, across 2001 and 2002, as he played in all but 2 of Norway's 10 games on each of those years (and he did play in occasional friendlies, including one against Luxembourg), so does not really add up, unless he has a ego behind the scenes that upsets the others players.

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

To be fair, its not really that bad, across 2001 and 2002, as he played in all but 2 of Norway's 10 games on each of those years (and he did play in occasional friendlies, including one against Luxembourg), so does not really add up, unless he has a ego behind the scenes that upsets the others players.

To be honest I'd have some sympathy for him too - it's like the footballing equivalent of Red Rum being asked to plough fields if they're unlikely to qualify.  

McGinn turning up all the time is a massive catalyst in our improvement but Haaland seems a different beast with different priorities.

I've only seen staged interviews but he does same quite a strange character.  

According to the Tartan Scarf on Twitter, if we beat Cyprus away and then Norway and Georgia draw 4 days later then we've qualified.  I've not looked in to the maths to confirm it's correct but  I like the sound of it.  Especially as we'll be at home to England that night so would be a packed Hampden!

*Edit - Above is correct assuming Spain beat Georgia when we're playing Cyprus.

Edited by Fairbairn

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

According to the Tartan Scarf on Twitter, if we beat Cyprus away and then Norway and Georgia draw 4 days later then we've qualified.  I've not looked in to the maths to confirm it's correct but  I like the sound of it.  Especially as we'll be at home to England that night so would be a packed Hampden!

What if Georgia beat Spain?

Just now, Orraloon said:

What if Georgia beat Spain?

If Georgia beat Spain then I think they can both still catch us (assuming we don't pick up any more points...).  We'd be on 15 points, Georgia on 7 with 4 games left and Spain on 6 with 4 games left.

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

If Georgia beat Spain then I think they can both still catch us (assuming we don't pick up any more points...).  We'd be on 15 points, Georgia on 7 with 4 games left and Spain on 6 with 4 games left.

What about a draw?

38 minutes ago, immcinto said:

How do we get into Pot 1? From previous Euros it looks like you need 20 points to make top 5.
- you also need to win your group though. Croatia had fewer points than a lot of teams but still got in the top 10.

UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Overall_ranking

Beating everyone but Spain would do it.