Team for Norway - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Norway

er yir macaroon

On 5/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, runningtings said:

I have to laugh at some of the experts on here, McGregor is number one pick for Scotland.

------------------ Gunn

--------- Porto -- Hendry -- Tierney ----

Hickey --------------------------------- Robbo

----------- McTominay --- McGregor

--- Christie ----------------------- McGinn

------------------ Dykes

Be surprised if this isn't the team. Only doubt is whether he'll swap Porteous and Hendry around in the back 3.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It would and McTominay would be real threat in the opposition box.

For Norway at least, the best way to stop Haaland will be to simply keep the ball away from his teammates.

So a possession based approach makes a lot of sense. Gilmour and McGregor are very good at retaining possession. Especially with McGinn and McTominay in front of them to pick up the ball further up, and overlapping fullbacks to feed.

Agreed on Gilmour, we have to get an early foothold in the middle and limit supply to you know who. Another thing is any idea how we are going to keep the players match fit given the game is still over 2 weeks away, Gilmour is one that def needs more minutes aswell.

17 minutes ago, JECK said:

Agreed on Gilmour, we have to get an early foothold in the middle and limit supply to you know who. Another thing is any idea how we are going to keep the players match fit given the game is still over 2 weeks away, Gilmour is one that def needs more minutes aswell.

I think that is the main purpose of this Spain camp, and why the squad was announced pretty early. Obviously a fair few players have already finished their season, so it gives them incentive not to go into holiday mode too soon.

The sharpest player will unfortunately be Haaland...

17 hours ago, JECK said:

I’m not too worried about Gilmour’s fitness. I’m fairly certain at Brighton he’s been asked to put everything into the first two thirds of a match on the understanding he’ll be subbed (for a world class player). The energy he puts into pressing is considerable. He’ll last 90 mins no problem.

Guessing someone must be struggling Leon King has been called up from the U21s.

Clarke confirmed they enquired about Jason Steele from Brighton.

He also spoke that about Doak and Rory wilson looking like they will soon be in.

Also seen Liverpool,Newcastle and Arsenal are some of the sides enquiring about Hayden Hackney.

32 minutes ago, syecosse said:

He also spoke that about Doak and Rory wilson looking like they will soon be in.

Also seen Liverpool,Newcastle and Arsenal are some of the sides enquiring about Hayden Hackney.

Much prefer drafting in a King to a 30/30+ year old standby player. 

Jason Steele is an excellent keeper, hadn’t seen that report but that’s interesting 

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

I think this is the same as what Strachan did when he brought along some u21s to a training camp. Don't think he's actually been added to the squad for Norway.

Hopefully King isn't the only one that gets brought along. If I were Clarke, I'd get Doak, Mebude, Hackney and Morrison in as well. It's hard to know where to draw the line. So many promising players in the u21s at the moment.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think this is the same as what Strachan did when he brought along some u21s to a training camp. Don't think he's actually been added to the squad for Norway.

Hopefully King isn't the only one that gets brought along. If I were Clarke, I'd get Doak, Mebude, Hackney and Morrison in as well. It's hard to know where to draw the line. So many promising players in the u21s at the moment.

Seems to be getting reported he’s been added to the squad anyway 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Seems to be getting reported he’s been added to the squad anyway 

Oh really? We already have Porteous, Hyam, Hendry, Souttar, Cooper and Tierney in the squad. 6 CBs which doesn't even include Hanley or McKenna.

We're pretty stacked in that department these days. Can't imagine why Clarke would call up King unless it's specifically to have a closer look at him for the future. 

Unless of course there is an imminent pull out of any of the above mentioned.

Edited by Tartan blood

10 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Oh really? We already have Porteous, Hyam, Hendry, Souttar, Cooper and Tierney in the squad. 6 CBs which doesn't even include Hanley or McKenna.

We're pretty stacked in that department these days. Can't imagine why Clarke would call up King unless it's specifically to have a closer look at him for the future. 

Unless of course there is an imminent pull out of any of the above mentioned.

Yeah we are well stocked there still though. 

Totally agree on Doak, Mebude etc too so hopefully won’t be long till we see more of them promoted early doors. Best batch of 21s for a long time when you consider Gilmour, Patterson, Hickey probably all still qualify for under 21s too!?

29 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah we are well stocked there still though. 

Totally agree on Doak, Mebude etc too so hopefully won’t be long till we see more of them promoted early doors. Best batch of 21s for a long time when you consider Gilmour, Patterson, Hickey probably all still qualify for under 21s too!?

I'd love to know the normal percentage of players in an under 21s squad that go on to get full caps. It can't be more than 2 or 3 per squad. 

Where as the current u21s age range already have the 3 players you mentioned as important senior players. Plus Ramsay and Doig, who have already been involved in the seniors.

Doak is inevitable. And I'd suggest there are at least 4 or 5 more in there that will get a call up at some stage. E.g Hackney, Morrison, Mebude, Slicker, Johnston)

On 6/1/2023 at 8:55 PM, Tartan blood said:

I think that is the main purpose of this Spain camp, and why the squad was announced pretty early. Obviously a fair few players have already finished their season, so it gives them incentive not to go into holiday mode too soon.

The sharpest player will unfortunately be Haaland...

He will also be the most knackered player. He could also be still suffering from a hangover if Man City win the CL.

OK so I’m clutching at straws here but I’m not particularly concerned about our players being match fit. It won’t be that long between their last club games and the Norway game. 

9 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

There was always a plan to have some of the u21s train with the full squad, hard to say if this is that or something else:

image.png.2a1a53604805b99c0bc4f44d0bd0ff7a.png

Oooh that's interesting. Hopefully we'll here about a few more heading out to Spain soon then.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He will also be the most knackered player. He could also be still suffering from a hangover if Man City win the CL.

OK so I’m clutching at straws here but I’m not particularly concerned about our players being match fit. It won’t be that long between their last club games and the Norway game. 

You might be right. Didn't Andy Robertson really struggle in the following games for us directly after being in the CL final? Can't remember if it was after winning or losing it. Which would probably make a difference.

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Oooh that's interesting. Hopefully we'll here about a few more heading out to Spain soon then.

You might be right. Didn't Andy Robertson really struggle in the following games for us directly after being in the CL final? Can't remember if it was after winning or losing it. Which would probably make a difference.

King, Conway & Fiorini are the 3 U21s who've joined the training camp

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I'm not too concerned about Haaland. Man utd were able to starve him and keep him quiet, problem for Man utd is Man City also have immense quality all over the park, Norway don't have the same quality. Starve Haaland and control the midfield and I believe Scotland win this match

On 6/5/2023 at 9:16 AM, Tartan blood said:

I'd love to know the normal percentage of players in an under 21s squad that go on to get full caps. It can't be more than 2 or 3 per squad. 

Curiosity got the better of me so I had a look back at our U21s who have done well at the Euros... 

1996 (4th place): Christian Dailly, Steven Pressley, Jackie McNamara, Charlie Miller, Stevie Crawford, Simon Donnelly. 

1992 (semis): Alan McLaren, Brian O'Neil, Stephen Wright, Paul Lambert, Phil O'Donnell, Paul Bernard, Eoin Jess, Duncan Ferguson. 

1988 (QF): Derek Whyte, David Robertson, Ian Durrant, Derek Ferguson, Peter Grant, John Collins, Stuart McCall, Ian Ferguson, Kevin Gallacher, Robert Fleck. 

1984 (QF): Bryan Gunn, Richard Gough, Maurice Malpas, Steve Nicol, Steve Clarke, Neil Simpson, Paul McStay, Mo Johnston, Brian McClair, Charlie Nicholas. 

1982 (SF): Jim Leighton, Steve Nicol, Gary Gillespie, Jim Bett, Neil Simpson, Robert Connor, Frank McAvennie, Graeme Sharp, Paul Sturrock, Alan Brazil. 

1980 (QF): Billy Thomson, Ally Dawson, Alex McLeish, Gary Gillespie, Ray Stewart, Roy Aitken, Eamonn Bannon, John Wark, Alan Brazil, Steve Archibald, Mark McGhee. 

Edited by Toepoke