Team for Norway - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Norway

er yir macaroon

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am forever reading about the overriding fear of Norway players but lets not undersell ourselves at all. We have players Norwegians will be fearing plus we are going into this game having been im better form over the last two years than Norway. It is an important game but I would say even a defeat there is no cause to panic providing we beat Georgia.

Agreed. Norway are not one of the top teams where getting a result against them rarely happens. I would say we are quite similar in overall standard. It is very difficult to win away from home against most international teams though. 

If we lose tomorrow it won’t be the end of the world but it will be a mini set back. We will likely be looking for Spain to go to Norway and win and we would almost certainly need to win our final game to qualify unless Norway drop points elsewhere. 

The benefits of getting at least a point tomorrow could be huge though. Norway losing or even dropping 2 points at home after the start they have had would be a massive boot in the clacker bag for them. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Agreed. Norway are not one of the top teams where getting a result against them rarely happens. I would say we are quite similar in overall standard. It is very difficult to win away from home against most international teams though. 

If we lose tomorrow it won’t be the end of the world but it will be a mini set back. We will likely be looking for Spain to go to Norway and win and we would almost certainly need to win our final game to qualify unless Norway drop points elsewhere. 

The benefits of getting at least a point tomorrow could be huge though. Norway losing or even dropping 2 points at home after the start they have had would be a massive boot in the clacker bag for them. 

If Norway draw or lose then its almost over for them imo. 

I also severely doubt we will need to win our final match against norway even if norway beat us today.

As long as we pick up 3 points v georgia then we are well on track to a situation where we probably go into the last game needing a draw.

All if and buts tbf and with scotland everything can go down the drain pretty quickly but we are in a really great position. If we fuck up these two games then its going to gut wrenching.

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Can’t think of any time we’ve been in this position with qualifying. It’s exciting. We’re all talking about draws and defeats but what if we win over there today 🤩

Given our form over the last couple of years then i dont see why we cant go for a win.

Saying that i try not to get my expectations up with scotland. Better to expect the worst in my experience. That way you prepare yourself for the inevitable heartache and devastation.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Arguably Norway have already dropped points, when they drew in Georgia (a game where they should really have won, judging by the highlights).

Tuesday's game is a must-win for us. If we can get something today then great, but even a defeat wouldn't be a disaster, unless it was an absolute tanking.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Arguably Norway have already dropped points, when they drew in Georgia (a game where they should really have won, judging by the highlights).

Tuesday's game is a must-win for us. If we can get something today then great, but even a defeat wouldn't be a disaster, unless it was an absolute tanking.

And lets not forget Norway at home to Spain becomes another important match for Norway with the pressure on them to win. Any result will be good for us. Norway win then Spain are under big pressure themselves to qualify. A draw would suit us too and a Spain win would really put Norway in a real tough position.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:37 PM, Texas Pete said:

I’m not really sure where this story about us being shite in June comes from. 

Mainly from our abject failure to do anything at major tournaments, which tend to be in June.

I'd always thought that might've been down to the games coming at the end of a long season at a time when players were....ahem....not as professional when it came to looking after themselves. Hopefully less of an issue these days.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

If Norway draw or lose then its almost over for them imo. 

I also severely doubt we will need to win our final match against norway even if norway beat us today.

As long as we pick up 3 points v georgia then we are well on track to a situation where we probably go into the last game needing a draw.

All if and buts tbf and with scotland everything can go down the drain pretty quickly but we are in a really great position. If we fuck up these two games then its going to gut wrenching.

I agree with you if Norway lose today. If it’s a draw then they are not out of it. We still need to go to Spain and Georgia and they don’t. Don’t get me wrong we would still be in a much better position than Norway but we wouldn’t be in as good a position as the table might suggest. 

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Mainly from our abject failure to do anything at major tournaments, which tend to be in June.

I'd always thought that might've been down to the games coming at the end of a long season at a time when players were....ahem....not as professional when it came to looking after themselves. Hopefully less of an issue these days.

I think that may be major tournament syndrome rather than June syndrome but possibly a bit of both.