pay per view - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

pay per view

tartan davie

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Do you need to sign up for several months?

15 pounds a month is a rip off for getting to occasionally watch scotland games. I would consider 5/6 pound a month to be reasonable and even then i would expect there to be some other good content that would interest me. 

It should be on normal telly or if it is on viaplay or sky it should be available to buy on pay per view at a reasonable price like 4 or 5 quid.

£15 gets you a month and you can cancel it so in this case £7.50 per Scotland Game. In a world where most premium sport is behind a paywall I don't think that is bad value. NOW TV (Sky) used to have £10 for 24 hours but not sure what that is now.

As I said before, I have no real issue when it's these sort of prices. I have much more issue with the pricing of the new shirt (and lack of incentive for Travel Club Members)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm no agreement reached does not sound promising to me. But perhaps I am expecting too much on.a first meeting however you'd think BBC, STV or such-like should be chping at the bit to make offers to get live Scotland games on. It would be something of a coup.

I think it’s promising in the sense that talks are happening and all parties have agreed to further discussions so there’s a good chance of something being agreed.

The viaplay offer getting two games for £15 was as good as it gets. 
watching our national team under uk rule is never going to be about Scotland. 
Scotland is a resource for England and Britain. Not a nation . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

I wonder if this is another Setanta Sports moment?

The guy that owns Viaplay (Micheal O’Rourke) used to own Setanta Sports and we all remember what happened with them.

O'Rourke owned Premier Sports which he sold to Viaplay did he not rather than owning Viaplay?

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/viaplay-may-withdraw-spfl-broadcaster-27343079

Thinking about this further - I would be surprised if they handed back the rights to Scotland's games though especially given the teams current upsurge and bright prospects going forward. It’s the league cup & Scottish cup that could be in proper bother here for the SPFL.

9 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/viaplay-may-withdraw-spfl-broadcaster-27343079

Thinking about this further - I would be surprised if they handed back the rights to Scotland's games though especially given the teams current upsurge and bright prospects going forward. It’s the league cup & Scottish cup that could be in proper bother here for the SPFL.

I must admit I like the Viaplay coverage of Scotland games.  Good pundits, brilliant commentary from Rory Hamilton (his commentary for our winner against Norway is iconic and will live with me forever) Even Michael Stewart is decent with his emotional reactions.  Also the match atmosphere is great without that crowd noise 'dampening' bs that Sky were implementing, just in case some poor soul heard a rude word or offensive song!

9 hours ago, todd said:

I must admit I like the Viaplay coverage of Scotland games.  Good pundits, brilliant commentary from Rory Hamilton (his commentary for our winner against Norway is iconic and will live with me forever) Even Michael Stewart is decent with his emotional reactions.  Also the match atmosphere is great without that crowd noise 'dampening' bs that Sky were implementing, just in case some poor soul heard a rude word or offensive song!

Yep it’s coverage is head and shoulders above Sky’s but I can’t help but feel I’ve been duped by the £59 year offer I took last month going by the recent news 🙁

Confirmed, pulling out of USA and UK markets, and will focus only on Nordic markets.

Also laid off 25% of their staff.

Does not appear to be a collapse of the company, just pulling out the UK market (imagine failing to get the England games, the majority of their UK sales have been to people in Scotland alone)

Edited by wanderer

38 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Confirmed, pulling out of USA and UK markets, and will focus only on Nordic markets.

Also laid off 25% of their staff.

Does not appear to be a collapse of the company, just pulling out the UK market (imagine failing to get the England games, the majority of their UK sales have been to people in Scotland alone)

😂😂 ffs! Ah well, £59 for 2 Scotland games. At least they were decent wins, was anyone else fucked over by this deal?  I took it as the missus is a Rangers fan so would have also benefited from the odd few cup games for her on top of the Scotland games for me.

2 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

😂😂 ffs! Ah well, £59 for 2 Scotland games. At least they were decent wins, was anyone else fucked over by this deal?  I took it as the missus is a Rangers fan so would have also benefited from the odd few cup games for her on top of the Scotland games for me.

Glad I took it out on a monthly basis so the March and June ones were about 30 quid all in. 

9 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

TNT or DAZN will probably buy the UK arm of Viaplay, and your subscription will most likely roll over on to that.

12 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

I was too, got an email with the offer of £59 for the year so I took it. I am guessing the SFA and SPFL will go cap in hand to sky now

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

TNT or DAZN will probably buy the UK arm of Viaplay, and your subscription will most likely roll over on to that.

That’s what I’m hoping so fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I was too, got an email with the offer of £59 for the year so I took it. I am guessing the SFA and SPFL will go cap in hand to sky now

Aye I’m just waiting for that news to break eventually. Just recently renewed Sky but I did away with the sports channels as with the Scotland games gone there was absolutely no point in me having it (told the wife she could pay for Now tv passes if she wanted to watch any Rangers games 😂)

Fingers crossed TNT get in there quickly as we get that free through the wife’s work 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Looks like our media have seen this, hit the panic button and made this out to be Setanta 2.....

Its all the non-sports stuff they are scrapping (ie tv series, documentaries, movies etc.... stuff I did not even know they screened) but the sports arm of the company is remaining as it was.

46 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looks like our media have seen this, hit the panic button and made this out to be Setanta 2.....

Its all the non-sports stuff they are scrapping (ie tv series, documentaries, movies etc.... stuff I did not even know they screened) but the sports arm of the company is remaining as it was.

Where did you see this?

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Where did you see this?

Bit in the statement from the CEO that says they are scaling back on "non-sports showing".... while its not their main selling point, Viaplay did have a screen service that showed stuff more in line with what you get on the likes of Prime and Apple tv (Nordic Noir tv series, documentaries, movies etc....) and this is what they are referring to more than anything.

Football will still be on Viaplay Select, just need to wait and see if thats still going to be a dedicated tv channel, or a streaming service.

BBC effectively saying in short term nothing much is going to change.

Was looking at their non-sports out put, and apart from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, nothing really stuck out to me unless you are in to your Stellan Skarsgård and Mads Mikkelsen Nordic-Noir movies, and documentaries on A-Ha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/66256891?at_medium=social&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Scotland_News&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_id=5C6EE74C-26E5-11EE-BDE2-A1FD5B3BE886&fbclid=IwAR0W84_fklH14vY772ZPyMLl8jhq-eM7b6XVWJzW1DJyimQYXxt73AcyKCw

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

There should be hell to pay if BBC Scotland don’t pick up the rights.

They won’t of course, but they’ve no excuse now.