pay per view - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

pay per view

tartan davie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, tartan davie said:

someone sayed pay per view did not get as many viewers as they thought they would  i hope the sfa take the hint and go back to tv everyone can watch like england games on channel 4🤔🤔 🤔

Said. Not ‘sayed’.

Wotched the Cyprus and Spain matches at a friend who’s got a monthly with viaplay! 
or whoever Premier are identifying as now. Loads of other games were on too. 
£15 a month

bit shit our coverage. Not that the sfa give a fuck

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be fair to the SFA it is sod all to do with them. UEFA own the matches as it is their tournament so the SFA have no say in the matter. UEFA give the broadcasting rights to whoever bids the most and in this case it was ViaPlay.

It’s amazing how many people don’t realise this. The SFA selling the rights to our qualifiers would be comparable to Aberdeen selling the rights to their premiership games. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s amazing how many people don’t realise this. The SFA selling the rights to our qualifiers would be comparable to Aberdeen selling the rights to their premiership games. 

I would've liked to see the SfA speak up about this. 

The viaplay coverage isn't bad if the channel works. I tried it but the channel on the sky platform kept losing signal. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I would've liked to see the SfA speak up about this. 

The viaplay coverage isn't bad if the channel works. I tried it but the channel on the sky platform kept losing signal. 

It’s probably against the rules to speak out against the overlords in Nyon. 

You would hope they were involved in discussions behind the scenes with Sky/Viaplay to have some of our games free to air but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t care in the slightest as long as they get their cheque from UEFA. 

It is UEFA that is in control of the whole process, they decide which bid is accepted to broadcast each nation's games, nations are guaranteed a set fee irrespective of who is successful in securing the rights. I'm assuming it's dependent on which deal is the best one for UEFA.

This 'conversation' has a LONG way to run before we get anywhere with it, there is active desire tho, watch this space.  

On 4/1/2023 at 8:45 PM, tartan davie said:

someone sayed pay per view did not get as many viewers as they thought they would  i hope the sfa take the hint and go back to tv everyone can watch like england games on channel 4🤔🤔 🤔

Apparently the Scotland v Spain got got just short of 300k views, which for a Scotland game is not all that bad (I believe the Israel play-off semi game was the peak viewing figure of recent years at 450k)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 1:10 PM, Texas Pete said:

Aye - I still don't understand why terrestrial can afford to bid for England and Wales games for normal tv but not Scotland ones though. 

Are we just too in demand these days?😄

18 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Aye - I still don't understand why terrestrial can afford to bid for England and Wales games for normal tv but not Scotland ones though. 

ITV initially spend a absolute fortune to get the England rights (with the FA Cup rights added in as a sweetener, which they then leased out to BT Sports for a few years),  and Channel 4 paid top whack for the England games, but only for two years, so they will have to renegotiate with UEFA next year (while everyone else is locked in until 2026 I belie).

Wales is not as straight forward as you make out.....

ViaPlay hold the rights to the games, but there is nothing in the deal which says they can not lease them out (so when you say "Are we just too in demand these days", you are kind of correct, as rights for Wales games will be worth a lot less than for Scotland games).

S4C lease the rights to games from ViaPlay, but on the condition its broadcast in Welsh (so its not a direct competitor)... S4C get a ridiculous amount of money thrown at them from BBC (BBC use their studios in Cardiff for a lot of production.... Dr Who is filmed and produced in Cardiff) and grants the Welsh and Westminster Government.

Apart from football, their viewing figures during the week are literally one man and his dog... but when they show the football, they outmatch ITV and BBC in Wales.

Ian Maxwell said there would be three Scotland games shown on free-to-air (similar to the Ukraine Nations League game last autumn that was shown on ITV4)... My money is on the Georgia and Norway games being on ITV4, as the Cyprus game kicked off at a bad time to interest ITV (had it been a prime time slot, ITV might have picked it up) and ViaPlay were never going to give away the Spain game.

26 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Terrestrial channels such as ITV, BBC, Channel 4 etc see England games worth paying for with a potential English audience of 70 million people plus a bit of personal bias there. As for S4C or BBC Wales they probably feel there is now good cause given they have begun qualifying for tournaments now. There is most probably not that same appetite from BBC Scotland and STV and perhaps their budgets too are dictated to by the bigger brother down south who.plough the majority of their sports funds into England matches.

44 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Terrestrial channels such as ITV, BBC, Channel 4 etc see England games worth paying for with a potential English audience of 70 million people plus a bit of personal bias there. As for S4C or BBC Wales they probably feel there is now good cause given they have begun qualifying for tournaments now. There is most probably not that same appetite from BBC Scotland and STV and perhaps their budgets too are dictated to by the bigger brother down south who.plough the majority of their sports funds into England matches.

STV its simply down to being unable to afford it..... They lost a load of money in the 2000's when they tried to fight against ITV to be more independent (STV wanted to be more like Ulster TV... but even Ulster TV ended up being fully sucked in to ITV in 2016), and then the failed "STV local" stations ended up bleeding them dry.... STV then pumped what money they had left in to the STVPlayer, which has actually seen them generate money in recent years, but 2021 was the first year in many that they posted a healthy profit, and that was on the back of the Euros (the Croatia game at Hampden is apparently the biggest STV audience ever, or one of them).

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You might find that more people in Scotland would watch an England game that a Scotland one. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You might find that more people in Scotland would watch an England game that a Scotland one. 

Severely doubt it. 

Go to a pub in Scotland when Scotland are playing and it'll be busy. Go to a pub when the morris dancers are on and most folk there aren't arsed unless it's a major tournament. Not watched many Scotland games in a pub right enough as i'm usually there but any away game i can't make and i go to the pub it's busy. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Severely doubt it. 

Go to a pub in Scotland when Scotland are playing and it'll be busy. Go to a pub when the morris dancers are on and most folk there aren't arsed unless it's a major tournament. Not watched many Scotland games in a pub right enough as i'm usually there but any away game i can't make and i go to the pub it's busy. 

There's only one pub up here that shows the games and ther's usualy more people playing darts than watching it.

Honestly I have been to the pub and been the only person there that isn't usually in simply to watch a game. It's been a while as have been at all the home games in recent years and usually just short term subscribe to watch the away games but with the Norway game being a stand alone away game on a saturday I will see if the pub situation has improved.

As for English fans not going to the pub to watch the games, why bother when you can stay at home and watch it on TV.

Why would many England fans go to a pub to watch it when it's free to watch at home?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats a bold statement, anything to back that up?

Scottish club footbal is dead on it's feet. Wall to wall coverage of the EPL has made the top English players house hold names. I would bet if you asked 100 people in Scotland to name as many international players in the EPL as they could in 60 seconds more English players would be named than Scottish ones.

To keep the quiz show analogy going you would be on for a pointless answer for everyone bar McTominay and McGinn.

People want to watch football, patriotism has little to do with it anymore.

Having said that the pubs are busy when the Rugby is on.

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scottish club footbal is dead on it's feet. Wall to wall coverage of the EPL has made the top English players house hold names. I would bet if you asked 100 people in Scotland to name as many international players in the EPL as they could in 60 seconds more English players would be named than Scottish ones.

To keep the quiz show analogy going you would be on for a pointless answer for everyone bar McTominay and McGinn.

I get more people watch the EPL because it does have wall to wall coverage but I don't believe for a second there are more people in Scotland watching England internationals compared to Scotland internationals 

22 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

21 hours ago, wanderer said:

STV its simply down to being unable to afford it..... They lost a load of money in the 2000's when they tried to fight against ITV to be more independent (STV wanted to be more like Ulster TV... but even Ulster TV ended up being fully sucked in to ITV in 2016), and then the failed "STV local" stations ended up bleeding them dry.... STV then pumped what money they had left in to the STVPlayer, which has actually seen them generate money in recent years, but 2021 was the first year in many that they posted a healthy profit, and that was on the back of the Euros (the Croatia game at Hampden is apparently the biggest STV audience ever, or one of them).

So am I right in saying the BBC/(I)STV/Channel4 are to blame here?  They should be investing in this from my point of view.

If they can do it for England and Wales, see no reason why they shouldn't be for us.

Seemed to be a perception it's an invalid moan this.  But it seems clear cut to me.  They should be paying for these games.  If they're willing to pay for some nations, they should pay for all of them.  

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't recognise this at all.  Attendances have been on the rise across Scottish football and youth support is clearly up. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-premiership/attendances/2013-2014

Tynecastle, Easter Road, Pittodrie all get significantly bigger crowds than say 10 years ago.

There was a League 1 game with nearly 10k at it only last month.

The Scottish cup has provided shocks and community engagement which is invaluable.  Thousands going to "junior" teams giving their place a name and a chance to progress. 

I think most people now don't compare Scottish football and English football directly in the way they did years ago.  They get they're different and have their own unique qualities. The comparison and its attitudes is old hat, in my opinion.  The Execs have started to get it too and recognise there's a value to Scottish football's barmy nature.  

17 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I get more people watch the EPL because it does have wall to wall coverage but I don't believe for a second there are more people in Scotland watching England internationals compared to Scotland internationals 

It doesn't even need saying.  Aye, after that Spain game all anyone across Scotland were talking about was the England game against... I couldn't even tell you..Clearly a wind up 😄

Edited by PapofGlencoe