SNP leadership election - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye, favourite for the Union. 

Alba must be praying he wins as there would be a mahoosive defection i would think

Wisny that impressed by The Forbes on her BBC Scotland short interview

She will probably bin the defacto referendum idea and continue trying to get Westminster to agree to a referendum

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Alba must be praying he wins as there would be a mahoosive defection i would think

Wisny that impressed by The Forbes on her BBC Scotland short interview

She will probably bin the defacto referendum idea and continue trying to get Westminster to agree to a referendum

Yeah, I’m very interested to hear what her plan is.  There seems to be some form of growing acceptance that public support for independence needs to grow to justify going to the polls. The 60% bar that the SNP set a few years back was quickly forgotten by them as they pushed their mandates. The difference from 50/50 to 60/40 in public support is a considerably different landscape. On the other hand, we know that a referendum campaign increased support considerably, so quite why a justification is getting played out by polling company polls has always grated me. 

There’s simply too much up in the air just now to justify the original WM de facto plan IMO. 

I hope Forbes plans sound credible whatever they are. 

The snippets I saw of Hamza's talk on his plans seemed more like he was ruling out defacto referendum at WM election so maybe he is planning on doing so at next Scottish election? As he sounded like he had another plan.

As for Forbes well ruling out any defacto referendum and relying on WM granting one then we can say goodbye to another referendum for the next 20 years I'd say. WM will not grant one such is its undemocratic stance on this.

Pro-union media and Twitter are absolutely going after Forbes.  

They know she is the most capable and credible. I hope she stands up to it and that the SNP membership see through what’s happening.  

Judge the woman on her capability, policy and vision. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

7 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Pro-union media and Twitter are absolutely going after Forbes.  

They know she is the most capable and credible. I hope she stands up to it and that the SNP membership see through what’s happening.  

Judge the woman on her capability, policy and vision. 

TBF, coming out on day one saying you’re against equal marriage probably isn’t the smartest thing to do.

1 minute ago, AlfieMoon said:

If she’s asked the question, what do you want her to say? 

I’d want her to give the answer that Humza Yousaf gave which was - I’m paraphrasing - I don’t let my religious beliefs dictate how I vote. 

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’d want her to give the answer that Humza Yousaf gave which was - I’m paraphrasing - I don’t let my religious beliefs dictate how I vote. 

Is that what's she's done?

During her BBC interview Ms Forbes was asked whether a man should be able to marry another man.

She said: "Equal marriage is a legal right and therefore I would defend that legal commitment.

"Incidentally though I would hope that others can defend the rights of other minorities, including religious minorities that might take a different view."

The Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch MSP said there was a distinction to be made between personal morality and practice - and a person's political responsibilities as a lawmaker.

Ms Forbes added: "In terms of the morality of the issue I am a practising Christian and I practice the teachings of most mainstream religions - whether that is Islam, Judaism or Christianity - that marriage is between a man and a woman. But that's what I practice.

"As a servant of democracy in a country where there is law I would defend to the hilt your right and anybody else's right to live and to love without harassment or fear."

i got a boost today when i saw The Forbes was going to run

It didn't last long seeing how the upper echelons of the SNP are now joining in with the Unionists attacking her

The SNP are in real serious danger of becoming the 3rd or even 4th party in Scotland extremely quickly, not to mention Holyrood being dissolved and the Unionists taking control either on their own or through a coalition

8 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

During her BBC interview Ms Forbes was asked whether a man should be able to marry another man.

She said: "Equal marriage is a legal right and therefore I would defend that legal commitment.

"Incidentally though I would hope that others can defend the rights of other minorities, including religious minorities that might take a different view."

The Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch MSP said there was a distinction to be made between personal morality and practice - and a person's political responsibilities as a lawmaker.

Ms Forbes added: "In terms of the morality of the issue I am a practising Christian and I practice the teachings of most mainstream religions - whether that is Islam, Judaism or Christianity - that marriage is between a man and a woman. But that's what I practice.

"As a servant of democracy in a country where there is law I would defend to the hilt your right and anybody else's right to live and to love without harassment or fear."

If you want to see what was said.

13 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

It’s outwith those quotes. Where she has said that she would have voted against same-sex marriage. 

So… not just what she has has said - but more the fact that it confirms she won’t bow to her beliefs.  

I get that there was a political get out available - she could choose to reflect her constituents views, or those of wider public opinion or Parliament. On the other hand, it’s good to have someone honest and principled - with the knowledge that the parliamentary democracy and party conference policy development has the opportunity to guide/manage any outlier opinions. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

i got a boost today when i saw The Forbes was going to run

It didn't last long seeing how the upper echelons of the SNP are now joining in with the Unionists attacking her

The SNP are in real serious danger of becoming the 3rd or even 4th party in Scotland extremely quickly, not to mention Holyrood being dissolved and the Unionists taking control either on their own or through a coalition

there is a danger of implosion.  Humza is hopeless and would be a terrible choice but probably most closely aligned to current policy, but far less capable.   Forbes is very talented, a bit further to the centre, but seems to be being undermined.  Regan is possibly the most moderate and centerist but looks like due to lack of experience is not being viewed as likely.

my personal choice would be Regan then Forbes.  Given what I have seen from them I may consider voting snp.  If yusaf wins, I doubt I will be voting snp any time soon.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I don’t see a massive problem with this or why it should stop her being a contender.

The SNP membership will decide individually if they see it as a problem or not, and of what magnitude.

Then if she get's in the electorate will decide. At least she hasn't equivocated.