SNP leadership election - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

31 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Your last sentence may well be correct but I don't think it's the perception. I think a lot of that is due to the Scottish media which gives any SNP minister a hard time and personalises issues in a way that is quite different to how things are reported in England. Contrast with Jeremy Hunt who was an absolute disaster as Health Minister but didn't get the same level of criticism from a compliant press, who bizarrely is regarded as 'a safe pair of hands' and despite his incompetence with Health was rewarded with a promotion to Chancellor of the Exchequer!

While I have to say that I find the current list of announced and likely candidates to be pretty underwhelming for all sorts of different reasons, I’d point out Humza Yousaf is by far the candidate with the most government experience and has led the biggest department during the most difficult period in its history - following on from Jeanne Freeman (who btw, I think would’ve been excellent as an FM if she hadn’t - understandably - retired).  I’d also say that I suspect the electorate - in this particular election - but also amongst the wider voter base do not blame him for the current state of the NHS and can see past the propaganda. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/628746

Grant a Section 30 Order to enable a Scottish Independence Referendum

The UK Government should grant without delay a Section 30 Order under the Scotland Act to enable an independence referendum to take place in Scotland, to allow the Scottish people, who elected a Scottish Parliament with a clear majority on holding such, to express their democratic will.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Humza getting an unnerving amount of suoport. 

Genuinely don't think I could vote SNP if that balloon was leader. I'd rather not vote.

Agreed - and i would resign my membership

14 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Go for the opposite of aaid, that’s what I would suggest,, humza would be a fucking disaster in any election. 

I haven’t decided who I’m voting for yet, however with the current two candidates who’ve announced I’d have to say I’d go for Humza everyday of the week. 

Humza Yousless vs Ash Regan. 

It's all about gender. Yousless wants to work with the flat earth science denying green party.

He wants to steralise autistic kids and carve them up for pharmaceutical profit for playing with barbie. While letting male rapists in female spaces. That polling shows Scotland doesn't want. 

And independence cancelled. 

Ash Regan, or Kate Forbes says big Eck. 

There can be only one. I'll vote for the obvious candidate that knows what a woman is. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

He doesn't seem to like white people either. 96 per cent of people in Scotland ya f*ckin bellend. 

Let's not put king herrod in charge of the baby farm... 

He'd probably try and sue the nursery instead of standing up for the rights of women and girls, like good natured men should do. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

5 minutes ago, Tartan_Tonna said:

He doesn't seem to like white people either. 96 per cent of people in Scotland ya f*ckin bellend. 

Let's not put king herrod in charge of the baby farm... 

He'd probably try and sue the nursery. 

I thought you said you were done posting? 

Keith Brown dropping out now as well.  I like Keith Brown but I don’t see him as a leader.  Let’s hope we get some decent candidates standing soon.   If - if - he stands it looks like it will be a shoe-in for Angus Robertson.   Before anyone accuses me of being an Angus Robertson fanboy, I voted for Chris McEleny ahead of him in the depute Leader election in 2016. 

The SNP should have opened up the contest to any MSP and MP on this occasion IMO

If Kate Forbes doesnt run, which is looking more likely by the day, then it does not augur well for Humza v Angus

An absolute disaster

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SNP should have opened up the contest to any MSP and MP on this occasion IMO

If Kate Forbes doesnt run, which is looking more likely by the day, then it does not augur well for Humza v Angus

An absolute disaster

I don't think you need to be an MSP to stand for party leader. Unless they have changed the rules without telling me?

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I haven’t decided who I’m voting for yet, however with the current two candidates who’ve announced I’d have to say I’d go for Humza everyday of the week. 

Of course you would. 

You're unable to think for yourself. With a colonial mindset. 

Of course you're voting for Humza. He doesn't know what a woman is either.

Ash Regan is backing Independence. 50 plus 1.

Humza wants to tie Scotland down in a constitutional battle over self ID for years to come. 

People like yourself should buy biology text books.

No males in female spaces scumbag. 

Screenshot_20230219_133050_com.android.chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

You don’t but you can only be FM if you are an MSP.

That's correct.

Ally's post suggested to me that he thought it was the SNP who were stopping MPs from applying. The rule you are talking about is a Scottish Parliament rule, not an SNP rule.

We are currently going through the process of appointing a Leader of the SNP. That person doesn't need to be an MSP. The job of FM is a different post and that election won't happen until after NS resigns. As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't have to be the same person doing both jobs. 

Edited by Orraloon

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's correct.

Ally's post suggested to me that he thought it was the SNP who were stopping MPs from applying. The rule you are talking about is a Scottish Parliament rule, not an SNP rule.

We are currently going through the process of appointing a Leader of the SNP. That person doesn't need to be an MSP. The job of FM is a different post and that election won't happen until after NS resigns. As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't have to be the same person doing both jobs. 

You’re right, the SNP are blocking any member from standing.  There is nothing in the constitution which means the leader of the SNP has to be an MSP.  it is very hard to see a situation where the leader of the SNP was not also the FM (when the SNP are in government for any pendants).  It is a totally different scenario when in opposition as was the case when Salmond was the leader as MP and Sturgeon was the “leader of the opposition” in Holyrood.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm starting to think Angus Robertson might not stand. If Kate Forbes also declines, then this could be a great opportunity for Mairi McAllan. I'm thinking she might just have a sneaky we chance of beating the two who have put their names forward already.

She’s just announced she’s not standing. 

Edited by aaid