SNP leadership election - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye we could definitely start off as an Independent country with Ash Regan at the helm

Jesus

She's another who's high on ego and low on ability.

59 minutes ago, aaid said:

I see that Ashten Regan has come out top in the Wings self selecting poll.

The good news is that virtually no one who voted in that poll would have a vote in the actual election. 

She’s also Roddy Dunlop’s choice as well.

Says it all.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Has anyone actually declared an interest yet or are they all too feart to be the first yin to attack the wedding buffet?

Alexa Salmond is a 14 pinter I reckon 🤔

No one has declared yet. If they all know what HL knows then maybe nobody wants the job?

Big Alexa might have to come back and save the day?

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

No one has declared yet. If they all know what HL knows then maybe nobody wants the job?

Big Alexa might have to come back and save the day?

With the combination of that thought and that picture he’ll be needing to wipe off the screen.

There is nothing set in stone to say that the SNP Leader and the First Minister has to be the same person. Maybe it's worth considering if the the two jobs combined is too big for one person? I wouldn't be opposed to electing an SNP Leader (this doesn't have to be an MSP) whose main focus would be to try to progress the route towards independence. We then elect a First Minister focusing on the day to day running of the Scottish Government. They have hugely cut short the timescale for electing a new leader, so this is highly unlikely to happen, but I do think it would have been the perfect time to start thinking about things a wee bit differently. 

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

There is nothing set in stone to say that the SNP Leader and the First Minister has to be the same person. Maybe it's worth considering if the the two jobs combined is too big for one person? I wouldn't be opposed to electing an SNP Leader (this doesn't have to be an MSP) whose main focus would be to try to progress the route towards independence. We then elect a First Minister focusing on the day to day running of the Scottish Government. They have hugely cut short the timescale for electing a new leader, so this is highly unlikely to happen, but I do think it would have been the perfect time to start thinking about things a wee bit differently. 

I can see the logic behind that but I think it’s a bit of recipe for disaster and would be an open goal for opponents - “who is actually in charge?”.   

What I’d think about is the position of Depute Leader and getting them to be solely responsible for the independence campaign.   That’s no disrespect to Keith Brown, but he already has two jobs.   Even then it’s difficult, you can’t have the FM being asked questions about independence and answering “you need to speak to the Depute Leader about that”.

It doesn’t need to be a full time politician.   I’ve no idea who it could be though, and the party would need to pay for it.

To be fair to Humza, the way the potential industrial action in the NHS has been handled in Scotland has been far, far better than the shit show that is going on down south. It now looks like there will be no strikes before the end of March. Hopefully none at all? Which at least sees us through the worst of winter. I'm not sure how much direct involvement Humza has had in these negotiations but we should give credit to all those involved. NHS management, the unions and the workforce all deserve some praise for the way they have behaved throughout this difficult time.

I still don't want Humza as First Minister though.

I see Robin McAlpine, who lost the plot ages ago, has posted another rant about SNP corruption over the leadership election

If any cunt only wants Scottish Independence on his terms then it's that bawbag

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

To be fair to Humza, the way the potential industrial action in the NHS has been handled in Scotland has been far, far better than the shit show that is going on down south. It now looks like there will be no strikes before the end of March. Hopefully none at all? Which at least sees us through the worst of winter. I'm not sure how much direct involvement Humza has had in these negotiations but we should give credit to all those involved. NHS management, the unions and the workforce all deserve some praise for the way they have behaved throughout this difficult time.

I still don't want Humza as First Minister though.

Credit to him for that, but engaging with the trade unions is the bare minimum any responsible government minister should do. The fact that the Tories won't even entertain the idea just highlights how unsuitable they are to be in government.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I see Robin McAlpine, who lost the plot ages ago, has posted another rant about SNP corruption over the leadership election

If any cunt only wants Scottish Independence on his terms then it's that bawbag

I’ve seen this 4 1/2 months nonsense from a few people now, who all seem to have one thing in common, they are supporting Ashten Regan.  Call me cynical but it seems to be getting their excuses in for when she loses badly or neglects to stand - much in the same way that Joanna Cherry claims she was unfairly blocked from standing for Edinburgh Central.

I’ve just been checking the time line for the last two leadership elections triggered by the incumbent resigning.

When Salmond resigned, nominations opened on the 24th September, closed three weeks later on 15th October with one nomination, Nicola Sturgeon, so there was no need for an election.

When Swinney resigned in 2004, nominations were opened on 22 June - Salmond did not announce his candidacy until 15th July, voting opened on the 13th August and closed on 3rd September.

This time around we have a week for nominations to come in and then 5 weeks of voting.  

During the nomination process individual candidates can of course campaign, but they’re no “organised campaign” as not all candidates are known.  It shouldn’t take longer than a week for someone to decide whether they want to stand or not, have a discussion with their family and gain an understanding of what their likely support will be and whether or not it’s worth them standing.

Anyone saying that the programme, timetable or whatever is fixed is talking pish.

40 minutes ago, slasher said:

Humza is in.

So it begins…..

Certainly has given the Yoonatics with Rangers on their bio something to laugh at

Surely he has no chance

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Certainly has given the Yoonatics with Rangers on their bio something to laugh at

Surely he has no chance

He’s not leadership material for me.

However I don’t really get the vitriol directed towards him if I’m honest. He’s held two really difficult briefs reasonably well as far as I can see 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, slasher said:

However I don’t really get the vitriol directed towards him if I’m honest. He’s held two really difficult briefs reasonably well as far as I can see 🤷🏼‍♂️

Aye

As i said before the criteria for the next SNP leader is that you could see them being First Minister on the first day of Independence

And thats definitely not him

That Anne McGlaughlin is a zoomer as well - she was first in saying he was her choice

The problem with the SNP is that there are too many folk in it where Independence is not in their orbit

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye

As i said before the criteria for the next SNP leader is that you could see them being First Minister on the first day of Independence

And thats definitely not him

That Anne McGlaughlin is a zoomer as well - she was first in saying he was her choice

The problem with the SNP is that there are too many folk in it where Independence is not in their orbit

Above all, I think, we need a firebrand to instil some passion back into the whole thing. Emotion drives everything forward and it’s been sadly lacking for a while.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Your last sentence may well be correct but I don't think it's the perception. I think a lot of that is due to the Scottish media which gives any SNP minister a hard time and personalises issues in a way that is quite different to how things are reported in England. Contrast with Jeremy Hunt who was an absolute disaster as Health Minister but didn't get the same level of criticism from a compliant press, who bizarrely is regarded as 'a safe pair of hands' and despite his incompetence with Health was rewarded with a promotion to Chancellor of the Exchequer!