France WC 2023 - Page 6 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

France WC 2023

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

So even if Scotland do manage to win chances are they could be knocked out if Ireland earn a point for a narrow defeat, which is complete and utter nonsense rewarding a team for failing to win or draw a match. Before next week comes you can read this like a book

To be fair Scotland have had their chance to earn losing bonus point too against South Africa but didn't take it. Agreed though it is a daft policy rewarding failure.

If Scotland win and both teams get one bonus point then Scotland go through. Of course Ireland could get two bonus points, which would also knock us out. 

Can't see us beating Ireland anyway. They are just too good at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If Scotland win and both teams get one bonus point then Scotland go through. 

But in all likelihood if that happens Scotland, Ireland and South Africa will be tied on 15 points. So it will go to points difference in the group.

Assuming the Boks hammer Tonga today we'd need to beat Ireland by 13 points in that case.

Edited by Toepoke

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

But in all likelihood if that happens Scotland, Ireland and South Africa will be tied on 15 points. So it will go to points difference in the group.

Assuming the Boks hammer Tonga today we'd need to beat Ireland by 13 points in that case.

Oh aye, right enough. It's just not going to happen. 

28 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Oh aye, right enough. It's just not going to happen. 

As great a win as last night was, we could've done with a few more tries.

Still there's a target to go for, beat Ireland by 8 points. I'm getting Argentina 78 vibes....

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Still there's a target to go for, beat Ireland by 8 points. I'm getting Argentina 78 vibes....

I'm going for 20-12. 🤣

But then we've only got a week to recover before taking on France. 😉

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

So, let me get this right. If it's a low try count, and neither of us get 4 tries, we need to win by 8 points. But if it's a high scoring game, and both of us get 4 tries, we need to win by 13 points. Assuming SA get the bonus point off Tonga. Is that right?

I know the logic behind the bonus point system, but it does lead to some odd situations.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

So, let me get this right. If it's a low try count, and neither of us get 4 tries, we need to win by 8 points. But if it's a high scoring game, and both of us get 4 tries, we need to win by 13 points. Assuming SA get the bonus point off Tonga. Is that right?

I know the logic behind the bonus point system, but it does lead to some odd situations.

I misinterpreted the tie breaker rules so we might not be in as bad a situation.

If the three teams tie then points difference decides the winner. The head to head would then be used between the next two teams.

In that case South Africa beating Tonga by 36 would win them the group.

If we could then get a 4 try bonus and stop Ireland achieving it, a 1 point victory would be enough.

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I misinterpreted the tie breaker rules so we might not be in as bad a situation.

If the three teams tie then points difference decides the winner. The head to head would then be used between the next two teams.

In that case South Africa beating Tonga by 36 would win them the group.

If we could then get a 4 try bonus and stop Ireland achieving it, a 1 point victory would be enough.

I'm not sure SA will win by 36 points though? They will win, but Tonga aren't cannon fodder like Romania. Although, if we beat Ireland by 3 points then SA only need to win by 34 etc, etc. At least we will know the SA score before we play, which may be good or bad.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure SA will win by 36 points though? They will win, but Tonga aren't cannon fodder like Romania. Although, if we beat Ireland by 3 points then SA only need to win by 34 etc, etc. At least we will know the SA score before we play, which may be good or bad.

The flip side if Tonga do play a blinder and the Saffers fail to get a BP win today, us and Ireland could carve up a result that sees us both eliminate them.

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The flip side if Tonga do play a blinder and the Saffers fail to get a BP win today, us and Ireland could carve up a result that sees us both eliminate them.

Scotland would still need to win though. Can't see Ireland playing along with that game.

To access ITVX (previously ITV Hub) from abroad you will need to have a VPN on your device(s)

You can get a VPN for up to £10 a month - like Express VPN or Strong VPN

You install the VPN software on your device and load it up before opening your browser

Select one of the UK servers and then open your browser

Websites will recognise your IP address as in the UK and you can open ITVX and watch

There is an hour long show on "The Cult of Lebowski" on Radio 4 at 8pm

I'll be letting that distract me as there is nothing surer than Scotland being pumped again

These things come in 3s - Politics, Rugby and then Football later this week