France WC 2023 - Page 4 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

France WC 2023

Big Ramy 1314

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think England could meet France, Ireland or the boks in the semi final

Ireland or France. I think England could possibly bore either of them into submission and beat them by getting loads of penalties. I am assuming that the boks will win our pool but you never know?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m watching a lot of the free to view , which is all of it. 
today has been cracking. The Georgia v Portugal was a rare draw with both teams missing kicks in the last few minutes to win outright. Wonderfully contested with a lot of supporters of especially Portugal enjoying it.

this South Africa v a United Ireland side is great . I think this Ireland side will win the tournament. Obvs , only if they win this

. Are there other international sports teams that include a sovereign nation state AND a bit of another sovereign nation state? Or is it like the football and we’re a bit special in the United Kingdom and Ireland! 

10 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Now we just beat Ireland in our last game 

We need more than that

We need the boks to not get a bonus point from tonga. Even If they don't they will have 14 points which means we need a bonus against Ireland 

Edited by vanderark14

Just looked at the table and I’m confused now.  I’m sure I’m missing something. 

Ireland on 14 points with only Scotland left to play. 

You’d expect/hope Scotland to get bonus point wins v Tonga and Romania, taking us to 10 points? 

Then if we beat Ireland we potentially go level on 14, or with BP win could go to 15? 

10 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Just looked at the table and I’m confused now.  I’m sure I’m missing something. 

Ireland on 14 points with only Scotland left to play. 

You’d expect/hope Scotland to get bonus point wins v Tonga and Romania, taking us to 10 points? 

Then if we beat Ireland we potentially go level on 14, or with BP win could go to 15? 

I think I've figured it out. We can get through with two bonus point wins v tonga and Romania but bonus points are an absolute must

If we neat Ireland we go level on points with them and therefore knock them out as we beat them in head to head.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I think I've figured it out. We can get through with two bonus point wins v tonga and Romania but bonus points are an absolute must

If we neat Ireland we go level on points with them and therefore knock them out as we beat them in head to head.

But we’d need to deny them a losing BP. 

Still, not as bad as I thought it was straight after the game.  I thought we were basically out already. 

5 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

But we’d need to deny them a losing BP. 

Still, not as bad as I thought it was straight after the game.  I thought we were basically out already. 

Piece of piss then 😆 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

The draw's killed us, just hope that the players have the mentality to perform well and put in good performances even with the realisation that their best will probably not be good enough.

The draw and scheduling could not have been worse for Scotland

I think south Africa have more than they showed yesterday, if they meet Ireland again I think they will beat them. 

Anyway, Mon scotland. Get those 4 tries today. 

Not a Rugby fan myself but do keep an eye on what Scotland are doing in these kind of things.

Bonus points for a narrow defeat is complete and utter nonsense. If you loose, no matter how narrowly, you’ve lost, get nothing. This is typical of Rugby Union pat on the back for “ jolly well played in defeat today old chap at least you get a losing point for keeping things close” Utter crap.

Scotland are basically out the tournament after one match. Their only hope if they hammer Tonga and Romania getting bonus points to take them to 10 then carve up a high scoring win over Ireland where both sides get a winning and losing bonus point and eliminate South Africa.

The draw is totally lopsided with a strong half and a weak half.

33 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Scotland are basically out the tournament after one match. Their only hope if they hammer Tonga and Romania getting bonus points to take them to 10 then carve up a high scoring win over Ireland where both sides get a winning and losing bonus point and eliminate South Africa.

The draw is totally lopsided with a strong half and a weak half.

If we get our next two bonus points then beating Ireland by more than 7 will be enough.

If the three teams end up on 15 points it goes to points difference in the group. We'll need to scud both Romania and Tonga by around 70 points to finish in the top two in that case.

I agree it is a farce drawing the tournament so far in advance that the most in form teams end up playing each other though.

Edited by Toepoke

We just need to focus on winning today and getting the bonus point. Won't be easy as Tonga are no mugs. You never know, SA might struggle to get the bonus point against Tonga, although I'm not sure that helps us much?

I can see us going into the last game needing to beat Ireland and getting a bonus point, or stopping Ireland getting a losing BP, or possibly both. Let's face it's it's not going to happen. 

If we were to somehow miraculously knock out either Ireland or SA we would go from also rans, to all of a sudden, one of the favourites to win the whole thing. 🤣

Realistically can anybody see us beating this Ireland team? I suppose it could happen but we would need a lots or good breaks and ref decisions in our favour. We don't have a good record of decisions going in our favour over the years. Even last night when we weren't even playing the decisions were going against us. 😉 🤣

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Realistically can anybody see us beating this Ireland team? I suppose it could happen but we would need a lots or good breaks and ref decisions in our favour. We don't have a good record of decisions going in our favour over the years. Even last night when we weren't even playing the decisions were going against us. 😉 

Given that Ireland are going for 9 wins in a row against us and the last time we beat them by more than 7 points was in 2007, I'd say it's not realistic!