craig gordon - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

craig gordon

tartan davie

37 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

The crowd sure felt flat when McTominay scored that last minute winner against Israel and when Che scored against Denmark. I feel sorry for the punters who accidentally celebrated before realising the goal scorers had been born below an imaginary line on a map. 

Hahahaha excellent.

This thread is zoomer central, great comedy value ATM

Edited by ProudScot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

Don't see the comparison with the gunn case. As far as he is concerned he qualifies through his father but HE MADE the choice to go with england and has played 28 times for them at various age groups since under 16.If that doesn't show a total   commitment to england and absolutely ZERO to us then i don't know what does. He's english which is fair enough but he shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland team which i think is also a fair enough point to make. 

I was only asking the question in responce to Ramys post on who should represent Scotland. 

For what its worth I dont like Gunn and dont think he is much better than what we have available. For that reason I would be hesitant in pushing him to the front of the queue. The situation was different with Adams as I believe he was much better than what was available.

My stance is that it doesnt matter who somebody represents at youth levels. Its far easier to represent the country where u are staying. Also when that countries setup is far superior then it makes more sence. Especially when you were born in that country and have dual nationality.

Gunn has been asked previously to play for us and said no. Again, thats fine in my book. Nothing wrong with seeing how things pan out. England are a better team than us. Waiting to play for them doesnt mean somebody hold bad feelings about playing for us.

What I am concerned with is somebodys commitment from the moment they answer the call. If they want to turn up all the time, sit on the bench if asked and then play with all their heart then thats good enough for me.

As ive said before, if a supermodel wanted to sleep with Brad Pitt but he said no, then turned to me I wouldnt be saying no because I was 2nd choice!!!

18 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I was only asking the question in responce to Ramys post on who should represent Scotland. 

For what its worth I dont like Gunn and dont think he is much better than what we have available. For that reason I would be hesitant in pushing him to the front of the queue. The situation was different with Adams as I believe he was much better than what was available.

My stance is that it doesnt matter who somebody represents at youth levels. Its far easier to represent the country where u are staying. Also when that countries setup is far superior then it makes more sence. Especially when you were born in that country and have dual nationality.

Gunn has been asked previously to play for us and said no. Again, thats fine in my book. Nothing wrong with seeing how things pan out. England are a better team than us. Waiting to play for them doesnt mean somebody hold bad feelings about playing for us.

What I am concerned with is somebodys commitment from the moment they answer the call. If they want to turn up all the time, sit on the bench if asked and then play with all their heart then thats good enough for me.

As ive said before, if a supermodel wanted to sleep with Brad Pitt but he said no, then turned to me I wouldnt be saying no because I was 2nd choice!!!

Bit of a strange analogy. 

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Just for clarification is it the supermodel or Brad Pitt that you’re willing to sleep with 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Appreciate the question DS, but I think you are not understanding my point. I am not a fan of the Granny rule, but it is what it is. In saying that, if a player knows they qualify for Scotland, but decides to play for another country, then finds out at Senior level they are not good enough, then decide they will play for Scotland, they can Fuck Off ! You commit to Scotland from day 1, or fuck off. We are not a charity or second choice country to anyone !!

As far as me??? I am 100% eligible to play for Scotland... I was born and bred in Glasgow, play the Bagpipes, have Scottish Tattoos, drank in The Shed, Iron Horse, Renfrew Ferry, with the Tartan Army. I have woken up drunk on Sauchihal Street, not knowing how I got there. Dip my shortbread in my tea, and have had a couple square go's, I think that qualifies me mate !! I would never, ever, ever, ever play for anyone but Scotland !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Did you cheer Stuart McCalls goal at Italia '90?

You're as Scottish as Tim Hortons

48 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Regardless if he is better than Clark or Kelly, to have another keeper that is of a decent level given the absolute dearth of options, means that we should be happy to take him into the fold...after Kelly (who's confidence must be through the floor) and Clark (who has only started playing because of Gordon's injury), we literally have no one, keepers either playing at really poor levels or sitting watching from the bench. Get the boy in...

10 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Regardless if he is better than Clark or Kelly, to have another keeper that is of a decent level given the absolute dearth of options, means that we should be happy to take him into the fold...after Kelly (who's confidence must be through the floor) and Clark (who has only started playing because of Gordon's injury), we literally have no one, keepers either playing at really poor levels or sitting watching from the bench. Get the boy in...

I dont think its as simple as that. Squad dynamics are important aswell.

GK is a very unique position in that a GK is almost never subbed off without injury and rarely rotated. So more often than not 2nd and 3rd choice GKs travel knowing that they most likely wont get game time. 

I think the likes of Clarke and Kelly would know and accept that Gordon is better than them and they would need to wait their turn. Their turn is now. If a significantly better GK was identified I think they would again probably accept it but Gunn isnt significantly better. 

So if he was to be brought in and put straight into the team then id totally understand noses being put out of joint.

Not saying that Clarke therefore shouldnt bring him in but its something that he will be weighing up given the efforts to build a strong club like feel to the group.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

GK is a very unique position in that a GK is almost never subbed off without injury and rarely rotated. So more often than not 2nd and 3rd choice GKs travel knowing that they most likely wont get game time. 

I think the likes of Clarke and Kelly would know and accept that Gordon is better than them and they would need to wait their turn. Their turn is now. If a significantly better GK was identified I think they would again probably accept it but Gunn isnt significantly better. 

So if he was to be brought in and put straight into the team then id totally understand noses being put out of joint.

Not saying that Clarke therefore shouldnt bring him in but its something that he will be weighing up given the efforts to build a strong club like feel to the group.

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean...Kelly's confidence is shot to pieces playing for that absolutely honking team he is currently playing for, I'm not convinced on Clarks abilities either...BUT you are right, Clarke more than often goes with what he knows. My concern is should either or both of those guys get injured...who is next? We have no one, if we bring Gunn into the fold, he at least gives us a bit of depth to the position 

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yup. What i said in a past post. Bringing in that guy ahead of guys who have been in squads or worked their way through the age groups would be a real kick in the balls. Imagine waiting for a chance behind craig gordon and when he finally isn't available the first thing that happens is this character comes in ahead of you after having played 28 times for another country. Clarke couldn't be thst stupid... Surely. 

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Whatever we think, or however we feel, that's the only question that Steve Clarke will be asking.

Of course. If I was in Steve Clarke's shoes, under pressure to deliver results, I'd be looking to pick the very best players I possibly could, regardless of who they played youth international football for.

27 minutes ago, stocky said:

McGinty, ( goalie) playing against arsenal tonight was born on Glasgow.

Has he been any good..🤔

Dare I mention that he's played for  Ireland u21. I feel if I do we might keep the thread/arguments going for another dozen pages.

Edited by Hertsscot