craig gordon - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

craig gordon

tartan davie

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/29/2023 at 2:52 PM, csinclair said:

Clark has been lucky today, almost dropped two big clangers. One making a mess of a punch and the other coming out of his goal and getting chipped though a defender cleared it off the lineĀ 

All keepers drop clangers. Look at some of the worst keeper clangers and you will find a lot are by multi-million pound keepers with international experience. Even back to Ray Clemence allowing a dribbling shot from Dalglish through his legs.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the "A nation again" book launch in Glasgow last night, and David Marshall was there.

During the Q&A session, someone at the back of the room shouted out the question on most peoples lips towards Marshall.

Says he already has a holiday booked for March, and then went on to talk up Zander Clark on the back of it.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, wanderer said:

Was at the "A nation again" book launch in Glasgow last night, and David Marshall was there.

During the Q&A session, someone at the back of the room shouted out the question on most peoples lips towards Marshall.

Says he already has a holiday booked for March, and then went on to talk up Zander Clark on the back of it.

Identical to Allan McGregor's response then.

• 4 months later...

Read this morning that he is stepping up his recovery.

With Gunn having settled in so well where does it leave Gordon? I never thought id say this but I think Gunn is the better choice of GK. Ive been very impressed with his reading of the game, sweeper keeper and also his ball distribution with his feet which was one of Gordons big weaknesses.

I had it in my head that Gordon was only a few caps from a milestone (like most caps by a GK) however having looked he is still some distance away.

Assuming he is Hearts number 1 id still have Gordon in Squads bht as the number 2. His experience would be good and he deserves to go to another major championship.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Read this morning that he is stepping up his recovery.

With Gunn having settled in so well where does it leave Gordon? I never thought id say this but I think Gunn is the better choice of GK. Ive been very impressed with his reading of the game, sweeper keeper and also his ball distribution with his feet which was one of Gordons big weaknesses.

I had it in my head that Gordon was only a few caps from a milestone (like most caps by a GK) however having looked he is still some distance away.

Assuming he is Hearts number 1 id still have Gordon in Squads bht as the number 2. His experience would be good and he deserves to go to another major championship.

I'm more than happy with Gunn as our number 1. However, he really hasn't had to pull off any phenomenal saves for us. Gordon's distribution is more than adequate, but we all know he is capable of pulling off world class saves. Gunn is still a bit of a question mark in that regard.

Assuming he can fully recover, Gordon would absolutely still be my first choice for the Euros next year. Beyond that, who knows.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm more than happy with Gunn as our number 1. However, he really hasn't had to pull off any phenomenal saves for us. Gordon's distribution is more than adequate, but we all know he is capable of pulling off world class saves. Gunn is still a bit of a question mark in that regard.

Assuming he can fully recover, Gordon would absolutely still be my first choice for the Euros next year. Beyond that, who knows.

We could just spread the love, Gunn for the group stage and Gordon for the knockout stages šŸ‘Although that would mean Gordon getting one more game than Gunn šŸ¤”

Edited by todd

3 minutes ago, todd said:

We could just spread the love, Gunn for the group stage and Gordon for the knockout stages šŸ‘Although that would mean Gordon getting one more game than Gunn šŸ¤”

Quiz them on Scottish history the winner gets the gloves, would keep a few on here happy šŸ¤”

Gordon will undoubtedly come straight back into the squad if/when he deposes zander Clark as Hearts no.1.Ā 

After that we just need to trust the goalkeeping coach to give the manager right advice.

Id love Gordon to add to his caps, but he has to be the best keeper available. Hopefully he gets back to that level.

Ā 

Ā 

Take nothing away, I really rate Craig Gordon as he is a fantastic GK, particulary when it comes to shot stopping. Saved our bacon a fair few times in the past. However for me Gunn hasn't put a foot wrong since making his debut. Of course he hasn't been properly tested to pull off a world class save or two, that we know Gordon is capable of producing time and time again, which for me has shown how solid defensively we have been to limit those chances for the opposition.

The injury Gordon suffered is a very serious one and there are question marks over when he does come back, will he be as mobile and as good as he was before that nasty injury, especailly at his age? Of course, time will tell but for me Gunn keeps the gloves even when Gordon returns.

Also on another note, apparently Zander Clark left the Hearts pre-season game against Dunfermline earlier today on crutches. If he is out injured long term, then I wonder who Steve Clarke will bring in as his replacement? McCrorie is the most likely shout but for me, he's just going to be wasting away being a 2nd choice at Rangers behind their new GK Jack Butland. The lad needs a move to a club in which he is going to be 1st choice.

On 7/9/2023 at 2:15 PM, Tartan blood said:

As great as keeper as he's been for us, his distribution is far from adequate. Especially in the modern game. He gives Rab Douglas a run for his money with the ball at his feet and his kicking.Ā 

He's well past the age at which most players (even GKs) retire from international football to preserve their club career for some extra seasons. That is probably a massive factor too.

Especially if we have a new hopefully long-term number 1 while the team is flying. No point upsetting the apple cart for a few extra caps.

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

He's well past the age at which most players (even GKs) retire from international football to preserve their club career for some extra seasons. That is probably a massive factor too.

Especially if we have a new hopefully long-term number 1 while the team is flying. No point upsetting the apple cart for a few extra caps.

That was part of my thinking. Its not good management to make Gunn the number 2 GK for 6 months to a year and then reinstall him as number 1. Especially if there isnt much of a difference between the standard of GK.Ā 

This is coming from somebody who thinks that Gordon is Scotlands best ever GK.Ā 

As I said previously, I think Gunns ability to sweep has helped the defence push up and squeeze the game. His distribution with his feet is excellent. Really noticed it in the Norway game.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

That was part of my thinking. Its not good management to make Gunn the number 2 GK for 6 months to a year and then reinstall him as number 1. Especially if there isnt much of a difference between the standard of GK.Ā 

This is coming from somebody who thinks that Gordon is Scotlands best ever GK.Ā 

As I said previously, I think Gunns ability to sweep has helped the defence push up and squeeze the game. His distribution with his feet is excellent. Really noticed it in the Norway game.

Yeh its probably best just to stick with gunn. Clarke drops him for gordon for no real reason then he might take the huff and leave. If gunn continues to do well then we could have our first choice goalkeeper sorted for 10 years of more.

Saying that hes not been tested much so the jurys still out to a certain extent but so far its been good from gunn.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh its probably best just to stick with gunn. Clarke drops him for gordon for no real reason then he might take the huff and leave. If gunn continues to do well then we could have our first choice goalkeeper sorted for 10 years of more.

Saying that hes not been tested much so the jurys still out to a certain extent but so far its been good from gunn.

Agreed although im less worried about him taking the huff. More that it would knock his confidence / the confidence that he thinks Clarke has in him.

Id like Gordon called up to squads though. He seems like the type who would still attend and be a really good back up and voice of experience.

Also, I think part of the reason why he hasnt been tested so much is the sweeper GK thing ive mentioned. Especially in Norway game, be was on top of through balls before tjey became a save to make.

14 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I think Gordon will be desperate to end his career (his international career anyway) at a major championship.Ā 

If he comes back and plays well for Hearts then it will be up to Clarke to pick his best keeper. I doubt he would let sentiment get in the way of making the right decision. I would like to see a Gordon back fit and on top form and get his chance at the Euros if we get there but I have a feeling Gunn will be our number 1 for the foreseeable.Ā 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think Gordon will be desperate to end his career (his international career anyway) at a major championship.Ā 

If he comes back and plays well for Hearts then it will be up to Clarke to pick his best keeper. I doubt he would let sentiment get in the way of making the right decision. I would like to see a Gordon back fit and on top form and get his chance at the Euros if we get there but I have a feeling Gunn will be our number 1 for the foreseeable.Ā 

As the big man's biggest fan I think it'll be VERY difficult for him to get back in the team. Never say never tho, he's a VERY determined fella. And of course a legend.Ā 

Gordon could still feature in our squad; I wonder if his last game on the pitch for us will be the England match.Ā  If he deserves to be in the squad then I don't mind him being there as he certainly is experienced, and I would personally love for him to stick around until next summer. assuming it all goes to plan.Ā 

43 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Gordon could still feature in our squad; I wonder if his last game on the pitch for us will be the England match.Ā  If he deserves to be in the squad then I don't mind him being there as he certainly is experienced, and I would personally love for him to stick around until next summer. assuming it all goes to plan.Ā 

That would be an excellent shout. Keep him in the squad thereafter but with no expectation of playing unless Gunn isnt available.

22 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Agree with all of that.Ā 
Be great for him and us if he gets back to performing anything like heā€™s been able to .Ā 
A couple of capable keepers will be needed for the finals squad.

15 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Last time I spoke to him he said he wouldn't make the England game... I'm not so sure ;)

On 7/10/2023 at 4:27 PM, ghorne67 said:

As great as keeper as he's been for us, his distribution is far from adequate. Especially in the modern game. He gives Rab Douglas a run for his money with the ball at his feet and his kicking.Ā 

First and foremost, a keeper's job is to keep the ball out the net. Having good distribution and sweeper keeper traits are bonuses. And I really don't think Gordon is as bad at that as you're making out. But he is world class at his primary job.

I'm really not seeing what Gunn has done to merit permanently ousting Gordon as number 1. If he's demoted to number 2 for a year, so be it. He'll get over it. And then maybe go on to win another 50 caps. A fit Gordon should absolutely be in the starting 11 for the Euros.