craig gordon - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

craig gordon

tartan davie

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, Rich NATA said:

To be honest, I'm in no position to comment on Clark or Kelly (I'm a bit out of it down here in Southampton) but Gunn is nothing special IMO.

Got to say despite the obvious loyalties issue I hadn't heard ANYONE talking about him at all!? I don't watch much English football right enough, is he getting a lot of coverage doon there? he's hardly had a mention up here.. 

3 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Got to say despite the obvious loyalties issue I hadn't heard ANYONE talking about him at all!? I don't watch much English football right enough, is he getting a lot of coverage doon there? he's hardly had a mention up here.. 

He's keeping Tim Krul and Michael McGovern out of the Norwich team at present. Whilst both are 'getting on a bit' both are international keepers and he is clearly no 1 at Carrow Road so must be doing okay. If it wasn't for Gunn's past I'm sure all on the board would be saying we should be looking at him. It could be argued that he's the Scotland eligible keeper playing at the highest level. 

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

He's keeping Tim Krul and Michael McGovern out of the Norwich team at present. Whilst both are 'getting on a bit' both are international keepers and he is clearly no 1 at Carrow Road so must be doing okay. If it wasn't for Gunn's past I'm sure all on the board would be saying we should be looking at him. It could be argued that he's the Scotland eligible keeper playing at the highest level. 

The point has been made alreafy that, pre-Gordon's injury nobody was saying get Gunn in as back-up. So all of a sudden he has become brilliant? I don't think so it is more because people have become desperate.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The point has been made alreafy that, pre-Gordon's injury nobody was saying get Gunn in as back-up. So all of a sudden he has become brilliant? I don't think so it is more because people have become desperate.

Or he wasn’t thought to be available pre Gordon injury?

On paper he’s probably good enough to be called up, remains to be seen if he wants that though. 

I have sympathy with the he’s English opinion but it is what it is, if he’s good enough and wants to play for us now and more importantly is committed going forward then Clarke will pick him. 

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nobody is saying he’s brilliant. The fact that our 3 goalies for the next squad could be; Rab C Nesbitts wife, Tam from still game & my mate Dave who works in the bookies down the road are the main reason why it is likely if Gunn is available & committed he will be straight in now. 

21 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

So has he been on the bench recently as back up to our keepers? I don't recall seeing his name mentioned at all... 

I hate this eligibility pish, we should have more dignity than to bend over to anyone who is "eligible" when it suits them, ie when they realise they're not good enough for their "chosen" country. 

Edited by Bzzzz

On 1/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, Bzzzz said:

I saw him play a few times at Southampton, but we have since sold him to Norwich City.

For me, he did the basics, but little more than that. 

Southampton signed him for £13m; a fee which surprised me at the time because he hadn't really done much up until that point, but also because we had Fraser Forster and I wondered why we're paying £13m for someone to sit on the bench (we already had Alex McCarthy to do that).

According to Wikipedia, Gunn only made 22 appearances for The Saints...

£590'000 per match 😲

40 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I saw him play a few times at Southampton, but we have since sold him to Norwich City.

For me, he did the basics, but little more than that. 

Southampton signed him for £13m; a fee which surprised me at the time because he hadn't really done much up until that point, but also because we had Fraser Forster and I wondered why we're paying £13m for someone to sit on the bench (we already had Alex McCarthy to do that).

According to Wikipedia, Gunn only made 22 appearances for The Saints...

£590'000 per match 😲

And why did he only play 22 matches before being farmed out to an inferior team? Couldn't cut it? Southampton had better options?

As I said in an earlier post he cost that amount of money purely for where he was being signed from.

I cannae believe folk still want this clown. He is English, played for England, said he would rather play for England rather than Scotland.. Fuck off and stay in England. Wish I was in Clarke's shoes, this would have ended as soon as he opened his yammer praising England.. GTF !!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I cannae believe folk still want this clown. He is English, played for England, said he would rather play for England rather than Scotland.. Fuck off and stay in England. Wish I was in Clarke's shoes, this would have ended as soon as he opened his yammer praising England.. GTF !!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Agreed. 👍

16 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

100% correct. 

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

bet yous all still celebrated this goal 

Your point?

I bet you were going ape shit when Davie Marshall saved that penalty V Serbia to send us to the Euros. Now people saying they don't want him back in the side.

Attitudes change.

If Gunn gets selected I'll be supporting Scotland and as he'd be playing I'll wish him the best for our sake. But that does not mean I have to like it at all. And its fanny adams to do with being anti-English. Look at the flak Aiden McGeady got for turning his back on Scotland and he is not English.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Your point?

I bet you were going ape shit when Davie Marshall saved that penalty V Serbia to send us to the Euros. Now people saying they don't want him back in the side.

Attitudes change.

If Gunn gets selected I'll be supporting Scotland and as he'd be playing I'll wish him the best for our sake. But that does not mean I have to like it at all. And its fanny adams to do with being anti-English. Look at the flak Aiden McGeady got for turning his back on Scotland and he is not English.

It’s easy to post overly dramatic things on a message board but they’ll still celebrate when the Englishman scores. 

I’d have Marshall back in the squad if fit and on form so not sure how that’s relevant. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s easy to post overly dramatic things on a message board but they’ll still celebrate when the Englishman scores. 

I’d have Marshall back in the squad if fit and on form so not sure how that’s relevant. 

Odd eh! Guessing there was a certain englishman who didn't celebrate when the englishman scored though. 😄

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Look I'd hazard a guess supporters will celebrate ANY goal scored by anyone. Are you telling me fans did not celebrate when Ched Evans scored after his sex charges? Of course they did? You are cheering your team scoring not celebrating a certain player.

It is relevant as an example of how things and opinions change in football. Marshall was a national hero on the night and then the devil incarnate for his error V the Czech Republic. Hunt around on this forum and people have said they don't want Marshall back and those saying he should not have been in his last few squads either.

Football supporters are so fickle and lots do have strong beliefs on what international football's rules on player qualification are.  Looser regulations are quite possible too becoming like rugby union where residency qualifies players to play for us. Others don't give a crap. Those wanting Gunn in now too will be quick as hell to turn on him if he makes errors. Does that then make them anti-English too?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Look I'd hazard a guess supporters will celebrate ANY goal scored by anyone. Are you telling me fans did not celebrate when Ched Evans scored after his sex charges? Of course they did? You are cheering your team scoring not celebrating a certain player.

It is relevant as an example of how things and opinions change in football. Marshall was a national hero on the night and then the devil incarnate for his error V the Czech Republic. Hunt around on this forum and people have said they don't want Marshall back and those saying he should not have been in his last few squads either.

Football supporters are so fickle and lots do have strong beliefs on what international football's rules on player qualification are.  Looser regulations are quite possible too becoming like rugby union where residency qualifies players to play for us. Others don't give a crap. Those wanting Gunn in now too will be quick as hell to turn on him if he makes errors. Does that then make them anti-English too?

I’m not saying anyone is anti English so no, just fickle, like most of us.