Indyref 2 (2) - Page 208 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

23 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Some of what the Wee Ginger Dug says (in tomorrow's National?):

They have cut off the head TWICE, and are currently destroying the independence movement, and some folk think letting Starmer's Brit Nat Tories take Scottish seats will be a good idea!

Have a wee think about it.

Sunak said today that Scotland needed rid of the SNP to save us from higher taxes...the speaker should have chinned him and Mordaunt for their nonsense. I sincerely hope folk ARE having a wee think @Grim Jim and not just hearing "higher taxes is baad for us" (apart from Mucky Malcolm of course). Rachel Reeves also said they weren't going to recap banker's bonuses. Is that where we are now, both UK parties racing to the bottom? 

Edited by StirlingEgg

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Sunak said today that Scotland needed rid of the SNP to save us from higher taxes...the speaker should have chinned him and Mordaunt for their nonsense. I sincerely hope folk ARE having a wee think @Grim Jim and not just hearing "higher taxes is baad for us" (apart from Mucky Malcolm of course). Rachel Reeves also said they weren't going to recap banker's bonuses. Is that where we are now, both UK parties racing to the bottom? 

Throughout my life time including under Labour the gap between rich and poor has increased. I'm not sure what's so wrong with a bit of economic redistribution because it's only being flowing one way. Politicians need to be honest, cut taxes, what services get cut as well?

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Throughout my life time including under Labour the gap between rich and poor has increased. I'm not sure what's so wrong with a bit of economic redistribution because it's only being flowing one way. Politicians need to be honest, cut taxes, what services get cut as well?

Some folk are just really funny about what they see as their hard earned money going to someone undeserving. The Tories, UK govt, UK media all play on that big time. It's just the most galling when you hear horror stories which relate to the police and social services when the dots join and light up to show where investment is desperately needed. All the outrage directed at folk who just want to do their job properly but can't. 

The battering sturgeon is taking during this fucking enquiry should tell everyone all they need to know. Sunak and that fat piece of shit Johnson got off lightly with the press and the enquiry but sturgeon is getting it from all angles. This enquiry was just another chance for the UK to go after the SNP.

12 hours ago, Freeedom said:

The best thing that can happen to the independence movement is to not vote for the SNP, don't reward bad behaviour it's the only way that the party can reset. 

Send them a message at the ballot box

Unionists must love this kind of talk. Up there with poor people voting Tory, and EU-funded regions voting Brexit.

Maybe the problem is the 'reward bad behaviour analogy'. A general election is not training a dog, or keeping a bunch of schoolkids in line. It's a twice a decade verdict on London rule, where only a mass voice against is even heard as such. 

I think there's a case for using Holyrood elections to express party preferences on independence, but for the GE, any slump in the SNP will be taken as a unionist resurgence in Scotland

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Some of what the Wee Ginger Dug says (in tomorrow's National?):

They have cut off the head TWICE, and are currently destroying the independence movement, and some folk think letting Starmer's Brit Nat Tories take Scottish seats will be a good idea!

Have a wee think about it.

Totally agree.

I would like to know the grand plan of the ‘dont vote for the SNP ‘  independence supporters. 
Do people really think that ‘teaching them a wee lesson’ is in any way going to advance independence? When Labour are back in power in the UK and Scotland and supported by anti independence parties on all sides . 
I would like someone to elaborate on how this is going to work.

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Unionists must love this kind of talk. Up there with poor people voting Tory, and EU-funded regions voting Brexit.

Maybe the problem is the 'reward bad behaviour analogy'. A general election is not training a dog, or keeping a bunch of schoolkids in line. It's a twice a decade verdict on London rule, where only a mass voice against is even heard as such. 

I think there's a case for using Holyrood elections to express party preferences on independence, but for the GE, any slump in the SNP will be taken as a unionist resurgence in Scotland

👍

Did I read somewhere that the final question put to NS yesterday was about the Alex Salmond trial and the timing of it in relation to covid? If it was what was the purpose of it , I didn’t get all the info. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Totally agree.

I would like to know the grand plan of the ‘dont vote for the SNP ‘  independence supporters. 
Do people really think that ‘teaching them a wee lesson’ is in any way going to advance independence? When Labour are back in power in the UK and Scotland and supported by anti independence parties on all sides . 

Labour will spend the first few years treading water by blaming the SNP for their woes. Absolutely anything that was seen as wasting public money will be the tiresome headlines and reasoning for their inability to fix anything. Business as usual for ignoring the short lead round our necks. A clear out of the SNP is not an option, we/they don't have the luxury of being handed a nice big fresh start jotter. This might sound a bit hysterical but the very existence of the Scottish parliament is at risk. Labour's confected outrage would be directed at the SNP rather than the British State. 

Sorry, think I've woken up feeling more crabbit than usual. 

23 minutes ago, exile said:

Rewarding bad behaviour is exactly what people are doing if they continue to vote for the union. Politicians will never be perfect, they are humans beings however its easy to tell which of those politicians has scotlands interests at heart. 

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Did I read somewhere that the final question put to NS yesterday was about the Alex Salmond trial and the timing of it in relation to covid? If it was what was the purpose of it , I didn’t get all the info. 

The covid enquiry has been hijacked and turned into a burn nicola at the stake. Staunch angry unionists will never see through that but others have to stop and think what's going on.

History is littered with brits using these tactics yet some how some Scots think they wouldn't do it.

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The covid enquiry has been hijacked and turned into a burn nicola at the stake. Staunch angry unionists will never see through that but others have to stop and think what's going on.

History is littered with brits using these tactics yet some how some Scots think they wouldn't do it.

End of the day I did not see the SNP Government partying at Bute House. I did not see them still hosting sporting events with full crowds once COVID was spreading. I did not see them dithering on lockdown etc. All this and pretty sure Scotland's stats on COVID was not as high as Westminster-run England.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

End of the day I did not see the SNP Government partying at Bute House. I did not see them still hosting sporting events with full crowds once COVID was spreading. I did not see them dithering on lockdown etc. All this and pretty sure Scotland's stats on COVID was not as high as Westminster-run England.

The clowns running England, Johnson, Rees mogg, Hancock......they got cushy jobs with media outlets and one appeared on a well known reality TV show and got paid a lot for it. 

Sturgeon on the other hand is the wicked witch of the west. 

Some Scots need to take a fuckin good look at themselves 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Perhaps they know this police enquiry isn't turning up anything hugely dramatic so this is the path they're going down instead. 

if it's anything to go by my group of friends who are largely independence supporters but generally scunnered by the SNP and all politicians in recent times, have been more favourable these last few weeks to the SNP than for a long time.  Could be wrong but I think the strength of Labour support is as wafer thin as the snp support just now.  Still think they'll be bruised at the next election but the Yes side of the argument I think largely see through this week's smears.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The more depressing thing is Scots revelling in it posting and believing stories which are friggin' non-stories about an SNP MP having an affair. That is unfathomable in my book and fans the flames that unionists are looking to burn independence with.

This is so bad its almost funny.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/politics/nightmare-covid-inquiry-start-nicola-32008850

I haven't verified this but apparently the car isn't her car and the car was also used in the queen's funeral precession

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Totally agree.

I've  said this for months but I just don't think I'll vote. Absolutely scunnered with SNP, not voting Alba and never voting for any of the rest.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The clowns running England, Johnson, Rees mogg, Hancock......they got cushy jobs with media outlets and one appeared on a well known reality TV show and got paid a lot for it. 

Sturgeon on the other hand is the wicked witch of the west. 

Some Scots need to take a fuckin good look at themselves 

Even some of the most ardent SNP haters that I know, are telling me that they think this blatant bias of the UK Covid enquiry is getting embarrassing. These KCs are trying to make out that Nicola was using covid to push her political agenda when these KCs are doing exactly the same. 

This enquiry has been hijacked. From the questioning that I have seen (and this applies to the Westminster, as well as the Holyrood decision making), it doesn't seem to be getting to what the point of what the enquiry should be trying to achieve. Who gives a fuk about whatsapps, whether they were Boris's or Nicola's. They don't matter. That's all a diversion. What matters is the decisions that were taken. What do we need to do now, and in the future, to be better prepared for the next health crisis. 

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've  said this for months but I just don't think I'll vote. Absolutely scunnered with SNP, not voting Alba and never voting for any of the rest.

I would never be able to do that. I just think that folk in the past have sacrificed too much, to allow me to have the privilege of being allowed to vote. Even today loads of folk across the globe still don't have that right. But, I can understand why folk are feeling like you do. I can understand why people think it probably doesn't matter that much anyway. Because it doesn't really matter what party people in Scotland vote for in a GE. But, I do think that there is still a slim chance that Labour won't get that landslide at Westminster, that the media are trying to convince us about. There is still a chance that it could be a hung parliament. This could be our one and only chance for SNP MPs to have enough influence at Westminster to force them into a referendum. How ironic would it be if we missed our chance because too many independence supporters decided to stay at home?

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would never be able to do that. I just think that folk in the past have sacrificed too much, to allow me to have the privilege of being allowed to vote. Even today loads of folk across the globe still don't have that right. But, I can understand why folk are feeling like you do. I can understand why people think it probably doesn't matter that much anyway. Because it doesn't really matter what party people in Scotland vote for in a GE. But, I do think that there is still a slim chance that Labour won't get that landslide at Westminster, that the media are trying to convince us about. There is still a chance that it could be a hung parliament. This could be our one and only chance for SNP MPs to have enough influence at Westminster to force them into a referendum. How ironic would it be if we missed our chance because too many independence supporters decided to stay at home?

I get that and i might change my mind. Just totally disillusioned by politics in general. Large part of that is the SNP sleepwalking the past few years and little, if any, talk of how we get independence.  

Alister Jack deleted ALL his Whatsapp messages and had a grand old chummy time at the enquiry

Hardly a peep