Indyref 2 (2) - Page 203 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky news portraying it as embassassing for the former FM which is utter pish

I dont watch BBC Scotland but i assume they will be running the same narrative and demanding an apology

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

She should be proud of that message instead of trying to hide it. 🤣

I would probably take a slight interest in politics if stuff like that was more common, same as when Rayner described the tories as scum. 

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

She should be proud of that message instead of trying to hide it. 🤣

Thats what I was thinking.Probably the most truthful thing to come out of the whole debacle. The hypocrisy of folk being critical when the whole fucking country thinks the same. Canny wait to see tomorrow’s Daily Mail 😆 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd love to see what bojo and his pals say about the jocks in their whatsapps

Exactly my thought. Haven't been following all the politics recently, but I was curious to see if any of the WM COVID inquiry stuff would throw up anything of interest in relation to Scotland (or Wales). I didn't notice any (but would be happy to hear anything I missed). I thought this suspicious - as if the cosy media club allowed the UK Govt to look shambolic, rude, heartless, but nothing that would undermine the UK govt relative to any devolved govt.

So on hearing these WhatApps, I can't help wondering, surely those blokes had some personal comments about NS, given the general misogynistic vitriol directed at her - and other women politicians - day in day out. Yet I don't remember hearing a peep from Johnson & co. As I say, happy to hear anything I missed.

1 hour ago, exile said:

Exactly my thought. Haven't been following all the politics recently, but I was curious to see if any of the WM COVID inquiry stuff would throw up anything of interest in relation to Scotland (or Wales). I didn't notice any (but would be happy to hear anything I missed). I thought this suspicious - as if the cosy media club allowed the UK Govt to look shambolic, rude, heartless, but nothing that would undermine the UK govt relative to any devolved govt.

So on hearing these WhatApps, I can't help wondering, surely those blokes had some personal comments about NS, given the general misogynistic vitriol directed at her - and other women politicians - day in day out. Yet I don't remember hearing a peep from Johnson & co. As I say, happy to hear anything I missed.

Sometimes I'm not so sure about that; Scotland, its people and politics are of so little consequence to them that we are more likely to be ignored or dismissed. Not even callously but with an almost unconscious disdain. Our parliament is merely an annoyance that occasionally needs slapped down when they need a distraction or they don't want the jockroaches getting above themselves. This attitude filters through everywhere in terms of awareness, understanding or even acknowledgement of Scottish politics with the UK system. 

6 hours ago, dan cake said:

I would probably take a slight interest in politics if stuff like that was more common, same as when Rayner described the tories as scum. 

Was that before or after she was flashing her gash across the chamber at BoJo?

8 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Sometimes I'm not so sure about that; Scotland, its people and politics are of so little consequence to them that we are more likely to be ignored or dismissed. Not even callously but with an almost unconscious disdain. Our parliament is merely an annoyance that occasionally needs slapped down when they need a distraction or they don't want the jockroaches getting above themselves. This attitude filters through everywhere in terms of awareness, understanding or even acknowledgement of Scottish politics with the UK system. 

All of my colleagues and my team are English.  I spend a lot of time in London and I can guarantee you that they don’t see Scotland like that.  Most are entirely respectful of Scotland and want Scotland to be successful, whether that be economically or in a sporting sense.

nicola Sturgeon is disliked down south as most English like the UK and want the status quo.

I think our best chance of independence comes when we move past the enormous chip on our shoulder and start acting as a collaborative and equal nation.  The politicising of things like covid is not helpful. After all England would be our closest ally and trading partner.

55 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

All of my colleagues and my team are English.  I spend a lot of time in London and I can guarantee you that they don’t see Scotland like that.  Most are entirely respectful of Scotland and want Scotland to be successful, whether that be economically or in a sporting sense.

nicola Sturgeon is disliked down south as most English like the UK and want the status quo.

I think our best chance of independence comes when we move past the enormous chip on our shoulder and start acting as a collaborative and equal nation.  The politicising of things like covid is not helpful. After all England would be our closest ally and trading partner.

I live an hour from London and stirlingegg is spot on with his assessment. There is an ignorance when it comes to Scotland amongst the vast majoriry of english people. There are a few exceptions but most I encounter don't have a clue, they're worse than yanks in some cases.

Scotland works as an equal and collaborative nation, London doesn't want it to be. 

I bet you play the little house jock perfectly.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Do me a favour eh?

When Scotland was an independent country (and England was its nearest trading partner) what did it do? It throttled Scotland's trade deals abroad by blockading its trading ships from getting into ports across the globe to kybosh our trade deals, force us to our knees and make us a prisoner forcing us into an unbreakable union. Mission accomplished.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Do me a favour eh?

When Scotland was an independent country (and England was its nearest trading partner) what did it do? It throttled Scotland's trade deals abroad by blockading its trading ships from getting into ports across the globe to kybosh our trade deals, force us to our knees and make us a prisoner forcing us into an unbreakable union. Mission accomplished.

I was going to add that Scotland has every right to have a chip on its shoulder. If it were treated as an equal partner. Would independence be so popular? 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I was going to add that Scotland has every right to have a chip on its shoulder. If it were treated as an equal partner. Would independence be so popular? 

This 'Union of Equals' is pure BS. Look at the Brexit vote for that. Two nations in the union voted against it and two for it but sod it Brexit it is. A 'Union of Equals' would have needed all four nations to vote in favour of Brexit.

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I live an hour from London and stirlingegg is spot on with his assessment. There is an ignorance when it comes to Scotland amongst the vast majoriry of english people. There are a few exceptions but most I encounter don't have a clue, they're worse than yanks in some cases.

Scotland works as an equal and collaborative nation, London doesn't want it to be. 

I bet you play the little house jock perfectly.

not sure what a little house jock is but you seem to know.  Maybe the English people you meet but the ones I met are well informed. We worked far better with London under Labour than the snp.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Do me a favour eh?

I think we have moved on from a few hundred years ago.  Sadly many Scots haven’t and still harp on about Bannockburn.

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This 'Union of Equals' is pure BS. Look at the Brexit vote for that. Two nations in the union voted against it and two for it but sod it Brexit it is. A 'Union of Equals' would have needed all four nations to vote in favour of Brexit.

we voted as the United Kingdom.

(not that I agree with Brexit). 

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think we have moved on from a few hundred years ago.  Sadly many Scots haven’t and still harp on about Bannockburn.

No Westminster's cabal has not moved on. Look at how they reneged on the Brexit deal over Irish border as little as two years ago. The history of the British Empire has been littered with purely disgusting acts in Zulu Wars, in Sudan War in late 1890s, sending tanks onto the streets of Dublin in the early 1920s because they dared want independence, the starving of the Indian population in the late 1940s because they dared look for independence. Need I go on?

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we voted as the United Kingdom.

(not that I agree with Brexit). 

Yes because that is what was ordained by Westminster. The Scottish Government certainly would not have agreed to that and perhaps neither would the other nations outwith England.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No Westminster's cabal has not moved on. Look at how they reneged on the Brexit deal over Irish border as little as two years ago. The history of the British Empire has been littered with purely disgusting acts in Zulu Wars, in Sudan War in late 1890s, sending tanks onto the streets of Dublin in the early 1920s because they dared want independence, the starving of the Indian population in the late 1940s because they dared look for independence. Need I go on?

again, distant history.  Everyone knows the British empire has gone.   Do you think the same about the Germans for their atrocities or have you moved on?

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

again, distant history.  Everyone knows the British empire has gone.   Do you think the same about the Germans for their atrocities or have you moved on?

Germany different as they have moved on. Britain has not as they still hanker for the British Empire days and still believe they hold big influence in the world. And would not call just a couple of years ago distant history either.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

As recent as last week and last year westminster refuses to let scotland decide its own future. 

33 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

not sure what a little house jock is but you seem to know.  Maybe the English people you meet but the ones I met are well informed. We worked far better with London under Labour than the snp.

Very convenient that every English person you meet is well informed and wants scotland to succeed. 

And in any case it is totally irrelevant if there are well-informed English people you know. They are not in positions of power calling the shots in Westminster where the megalomaniac arseholes reign. Another more recent sign of the dark influence the UK has had was Blair going to war based on pure lies. Also seeing it again with the British Government sitting by watching Israel decimate the Gaza Strip at will.