Team against ireland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team against ireland

mccaughey85

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Apparently it is legit, as it kept him out the Newcastle squad at the weekend.

He gets one more switch and then he he tied down, so I suspect he will remain in U21's for time being as England have no real need for him any time soon.

Yes, he does seem to be injured but I’m not convinced he’ll turn out for our senior team. He looks to be a bit special and would be great for us. That said, I expect Lowry to be one one of the best in Europe and they would probably be competing for the same spot in the team. 

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, If all 16 League A teams qualify automatically, then we could be in a play off route along with a League D team plus another two from League B. Knowing our luck though, there will probably be a couple of League A teams that do an Italy or a Netherlands and need to use their play off spot.  I'm not sure if they have decided what to do about the group that Russia should have been in, when it comes to deciding the ranking of the 2nd place team in that group. Lots of complications and permutations. 

Russia will finish in 32nd place. 

Results against the bottom teams are discounted when deciding on final places on the overall standings for League B. 

We could do with Armenia finishing 3rd if we do end up in second. Would be unlikely though. 

34 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Russia will finish in 32nd place. 

Results against the bottom teams are discounted when deciding on final places on the overall standings for League B. 

We could do with Armenia finishing 3rd if we do end up in second. Would be unlikely though. 

Have they announced that? 

Dont see the problem with elliot anderson switching to england. Hes born and bred there and probably feels english. I think its best not to call him to the senior squad and give him a bit more time in the u21s so that he can mull over what is a big decision for him.

Before the bravehearts start crucifying him try and remember he is actually english and its maybe a tough decision for him. 

Just now, Rab The Crab said:

Declan Gallagher and Josh Doig called up as replacements for Patterson and Turnbull. Gallagher well deserved, never let Scotland down in the past and has been immense this season. 

Always felt gallagher got a raw deal. He played well in the games he got and ended up not playing a single minute at the euros and then got dumped out the squad. Josh doigs a strange one, surely we have plenty of left back cover in taylor, hickey and tierney.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Always felt gallagher got a raw deal. He played well in the games he got and ended up not playing a single minute at the euros and then got dumped out the squad. Josh doigs a strange one, surely we have plenty of left back cover in taylor, hickey and tierney.

Unless he's going for a back three then that would just leave taylor

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Totally agree re Gallagher, suffered due to Hanley rebirth and an awful spell at Aberdeen.

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dont see the problem with elliot anderson switching to england. Hes born and bred there and probably feels english. I think its best not to call him to the senior squad and give him a bit more time in the u21s so that he can mull over what is a big decision for him.

Before the bravehearts start crucifying him try and remember he is actually english and its maybe a tough decision for him. 

I don’t see people having a go at him (apart from maybe one or two) but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be disappointing if a cracking player chooses not to play for us. It’s up to him, I hope he wants to play for us, if he doesn’t, fair enough.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t see people having a go at him (apart from maybe one or two) but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be disappointing if a cracking player chooses not to play for us. It’s up to him, I hope he wants to play for us, if he doesn’t, fair enough.

Give it time lol

59 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Declan Gallagher and Josh Doig called up as replacements for Patterson and Turnbull. Gallagher well deserved, never let Scotland down in the past and has been immense this season. 

Good to see Doig called up. We’re not short of talent at full back that’s for sure. 

59 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Seems weird - a LB for a RB and a centre half for a midfielder?  Don't really get that.

20 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Seems weird - a LB for a RB and a centre half for a midfielder?  Don't really get that.

I’d agree, don’t think we need another midfielder called up since we have McLean Jack and Gilmour but I’d like to have seen a wide player or striker added. 

47 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I guess with Doig it gives Clarke a serious opportunity to check him out. I don't think we'd need another right back in the squad, given Hickey and Ralston are there and Ryan Jack can play there is absolutely required. I can't see him starting a game ahead of Taylor if Tierney is unavailable for a game, unless there's a minor injury we don't know about or we've already won the group come the second Ukraine game.

Gallagher coming in is maybe a result of not replacing Hanley in the original squad, leaving us with only three out and out centre-backs.

An attacker might've been worthwhile, given Adams and Christie are on yellow cards (as are McGregor and McTominay, but we have plenty of central midfielders to cover).

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Have they announced that? 

I’m only going by the overall standings on Wikipedia as the UEFA website is a shambles. On Wikipedia we are currently ranked 20th on the overall standings and we only have 3 points so our results against  Armenia don’t count. 

I haven’t seen any official announcement from UEFA apart from them confirming Russia have been disqualified and will be 4th in their group but how else could they do it to be fair to Israel, Iceland and Albania? 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m only going by the overall standings on Wikipedia as the UEFA website is a shambles. On Wikipedia we are currently ranked 20th on the overall standings and we only have 3 points so our results against  Armenia don’t count. 

I haven’t seen any official announcement from UEFA apart from them confirming Russia have been disqualified and will be 4th in their group but how else could they do it to be fair to Israel, Iceland and Albania? 

That would be the sensible option, or they could just award each team two 3-0 wins over Russia. I just wanted to know for sure.

Just now, Orraloon said:

That would be the sensible option, or they could just award each team two 3-0 wins over Russia. I just wanted to know for sure.

That wouldn’t be fair to the rest of us though. When results impact other groups I think the fairest thing to do is to discount results against the bottom club. UEFA always do this when there are groups of 5 and 6 in qualifiers so I would imagine they will do the same this time. 

The geezer that updates the Nations League Wikipedia page seems to think so anyway. 😂

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That wouldn’t be fair to the rest of us though. When results impact other groups I think the fairest thing to do is to discount results against the bottom club. UEFA always do this when there are groups of 5 and 6 in qualifiers so I would imagine they will do the same this time. 

The geezer that updates the Nations League Wikipedia page seems to think so anyway. 😂

It wouldn't make much difference to us. If Armenia finish bottom we drop off 6 points and +5 GD. The other way Iceland/Israel/Albania would gain 6 points and +6 GD.

33 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I think Gallagher being called up signifies that he doesn't consider McTominay a candidate for CB anymore.

Doig probably indicates that KT is carrying a knock.

That's what I was going to say, think he maybe realises the value of Mctominey playing his proper position now. Gallagher has never let us down either, probably unlucky not to be in the squad anyway.

Think you may be right with KT and I dont think it's worth risking him if there is any doubt. Taylor has been a much improved player with Celtic over the last 2 years and will be more than capable against Ireland.