Team against ireland - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team against ireland

mccaughey85

18 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Was feeling pretty confident about todays game, thought if we play like we did on Wednesday we should win. 

Still think that’s the case but had a look at Irelands results over the last year or so. I remember going into the game in June, there was a lot of talk about Ireland being on a bad run, coach under pressure, etc., their results don’t look that disastrous. They’ve had draws against Portugal, Belgium, Serbia and Hungary, who are doing brilliantly in the NL. Apart from losing to Armenia and losing 0-1 at home to Luxembourg, their results are fairly respectable, no one has beaten them by more than one goal so today won’t be easy.

Yes pretty much spot on. 

I think a heck of a lot was made of the Luxembourg result (too much in fact) that over-shadowed their really decent results. Ireland are no mugs.

Having said that though we have the better team and squad by some margin and if we perform and play to a plan then a win should be ours.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Was feeling pretty confident about todays game, thought if we play like we did on Wednesday we should win. 

Still think that’s the case but had a look at Irelands results over the last year or so. I remember going into the game in June, there was a lot of talk about Ireland being on a bad run, coach under pressure, etc., their results don’t look that disastrous. They’ve had draws against Portugal, Belgium, Serbia and Hungary, who are doing brilliantly in the NL. Apart from losing to Armenia and losing 0-1 at home to Luxembourg, their results are fairly respectable, no one has beaten them by more than one goal so today won’t be easy.

Not saying back Ireland, but this far from a gimme, even Luxembourg aren't that bad. 

Bookies reckon there is more chance of us not winning than winning. 

35 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Ireland are hard to beat and they always give us a good game. We all know they absolutely humped us in Dublin. And that wasn't all down to us playing badly. I would make Ireland as slight favourites for today. Nothing much in it though. I am going for a 1-1 prediction.

Just reading this is a possibility - Craig Gordons wife going into labour leaving us with an uncapped keeper for tonight would be a bit of a confidence reducer when the teams come out. 

Hopefully that doesn’t happen but there’s been chances of the last couple of years to give caps to other guys for sure so be a bit annoying in such a big game to have an uncapped goalie in tonight. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Ireland are hard to beat and they always give us a good game. We all know they absolutely humped us in Dublin. And that wasn't all down to us playing badly. I would make Ireland as slight favourites for today. Nothing much in it though. I am going for a 1-1 prediction.

I have a feeling we will win and win comfortably tonight. 2-0 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Not wanting to tempt fate here but there’s absolutely no chance Ireland are favourites tonight. 

We haven’t lost a qualifier or Nations League game at Hampden since Belgium pumped us over 3 years ago. 

If we (conveniently) ignore the playoff against Ukraine and the euros matches against the Czechs and Croatia (which came with different pressures than a NL game or qualifier) then we should rightly be favourites tonight as we are with every bookie I have checked. 

Does this mean we’ll definitely win? Absolutely not but we shouldn’t be going into this game with any fear. Ireland are where they are in the group for a reason. Notwithstanding the doing they gave us (when we were burst after going out of the World Cup) they have done nothing in this group.

If we play like we did on Wednesday we’ll win. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not saying back Ireland, but this far from a gimme, even Luxembourg aren't that bad. 

Bookies reckon there is more chance of us not winning than winning. 

We don’t need to win tonight. As long as we avoid defeat we’re still in a good position. Not that I want us to play for the draw but hopefully that will take the pressure off is a bit.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes pretty much spot on. 

I think a heck of a lot was made of the Luxembourg result (too much in fact) that over-shadowed their really decent results. Ireland are no mugs.

Having said that though we have the better team and squad by some margin and if we perform and play to a plan then a win should be ours.

If we had lost at home to Luxembourg most Scotland supporters would be calling for Clarke’s head and rightly so. Luxembourg are not the whipping boys they used to be but they shouldn’t be beating Ireland at home so I’m not surprised a lot was made of it.

If we play well tonight we should win although nothing is guaranteed obviously. If we don’t play well we could easily lose. The players should be on a high after brushing aside a team which, on paper, are better than Ireland so I’ll be disappointed if we don’t play well.

We need to match them in tackling, running and being first to second balls. I suspect the game to be played at a high tempo so that sharpness to get to the 'second ball' will be crucial. They'll certainly be aggressive and we better be up for a physical battle. If we do match them physically, I believe our players are better than theirs technically and once we get on the ball, we can hurt them. 

54 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If we had lost at home to Luxembourg most Scotland supporters would be calling for Clarke’s head and rightly so. Luxembourg are not the whipping boys they used to be but they shouldn’t be beating Ireland at home so I’m not surprised a lot was made of it.

If we play well tonight we should win although nothing is guaranteed obviously. If we don’t play well we could easily lose. The players should be on a high after brushing aside a team which, on paper, are better than Ireland so I’ll be disappointed if we don’t play well.

If the world cup had been played in the summer, there would be at least 2 elite countries looking for a new manager. 

38 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

We need to match them in tackling, running and being first to second balls. I suspect the game to be played at a high tempo so that sharpness to get to the 'second ball' will be crucial. They'll certainly be aggressive and we better be up for a physical battle. If we do match them physically, I believe our players are better than theirs technically and once we get on the ball, we can hurt them. 

One random result though. I prefer more than a one-off. Intermingled with that result they have got noteworthy results against the likes of Portugal, Belgium and one or two others. That suggests the Luxembourg result was a freak.

I don't expect an easy game at all tonight. Ireland will be tough, physical and hard to break down. They have a bit of pace in attack and McClean's deliveries from the left have the potential to hurt us. 

If we play like we did on Wednesday though we should be good enough to win. I think it's important we do, since Ukraine have just thumped Armenia and now have a better GD than us. I'd love to see a convincing win but I'd bite your hand off for a 1-0 or a 2-1 right now.

24 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I don't expect an easy game at all tonight. Ireland will be tough, physical and hard to break down. They have a bit of pace in attack and McClean's deliveries from the left have the potential to hurt us. 

If we play like we did on Wednesday though we should be good enough to win. I think it's important we do, since Ukraine have just thumped Armenia and now have a better GD than us. I'd love to see a convincing win but I'd bite your hand off for a 1-0 or a 2-1 right now.

Its head-to-heads that matter above goal difference I do believe.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We don’t need to win tonight. As long as we avoid defeat we’re still in a good position. Not that I want us to play for the draw but hopefully that will take the pressure off is a bit.

Not in terms of finishing above Ukraine, but three points will really help our chances of pot 2 for the Euros.

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Not in terms of finishing above Ukraine, but three points will really help our chances of pot 2 for the Euros.

We'll be pot 2 if we finish top of our group regardless of our points total will we not?  The extra points would be of benefit if we finish second with regards to a play-off spot.  Or have I got that totally wrong? 🤔

3 minutes ago, todd said:

The commentary team for the game in Dublin was very Irish heavy.  Fair enough given that it was their home game, I just hope the same rule applies tonight and the co-commentator is Scottish and the panel mainly Scottish.  Bet it isn't mind!

Who cares?

If we play good, we deserve praise from Irish or Scottish and likewise if its the other way around.