Foreign football - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign football

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Is it just me that just finds the English Premier League boring as fk? 

Same here. Haven't watched it in years. It is telling though when in a boozer and a game is on, a huge percentage of folks are glued to it. It's not for me. 

On 4/29/2023 at 9:36 AM, morrie21 said:

Enjoy. Please provide a full report by Monday. 800 words 😁

Well, it was certainly interesting!

Not a great game but saw some familiar faces. Fatih have none other than the great Andrea Pirlo as their head coach and I was surprised to see Fabio Borini up front for them and Kazim Richards on the bench. I recognised Seb Larsson from the visiting team as well.

The game was played at the Attaturk as Fatih’s stadium seems to be out of commission at the moment for reasons I wasn’t able to determine.  I nearly patched it after finding that out as their normal venue was just a short walk away from my hotel. That led to a rather soulless atmosphere with a crowd of around 7,000 in a 75,000 seater stadium.

Anyway, as far as the game goes, as good a player as Pirlo was I’m not sure he’s going to make the grade as a coach. His team played neat and tidy football, mainly in front of the opposition, who seemed better drilled and organised and always looked a threat on the break. In the event Antalyaspor won the game 1-0 thanks to a breakaway goal midway through the first half and Fatih rarely threatened an equaliser. Both teams remained in their pre-match positions in the league after that result, Fatih in 9th and the visitors in 12th. Mid table obscurity for both!

Edited by slasher

33 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

You just couldn't resist a dig at Morelos could you.  I know your game!! 😉

Haha! Brilliant! 😂

Aaah well, you won’t have to put up with him much longer I guess.

I watched the highlights last night, it looked like pretty poor fayre from both sides.

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Well, it was certainly interesting!

Not a great game but saw some familiar faces. Fatih have none other than the great Andrea Pirlo as their head coach and I was surprised to see Fabio Borini up front for them and Kazim Richards on the bench. I recognised Seb Larsson from the visiting team as well.

The game was played at the Attaturk as Fatih’s stadium seems to be out of commission at the moment for reasons I wasn’t able to determine.  I nearly patched it after finding that out as their normal venue was just a short walk away from my hotel. That led to a rather soulless atmosphere with a crowd of around 7,000 in a 75,000 seater stadium.

Anyway, as far as the game goes, as good a player as Pirlo was I’m not sure he’s going to make the grade as a coach. His team played neat and tidy football, mainly in front of the opposition, who seemed better drilled and organised and always looked a threat on the break. In the event Antalyaspor won the game 1-0 thanks to a breakaway goal midway through the first half and Fatih rarely threatened an equaliser. Both teams remained in their pre-match positions in the league after that result, Fatih in 9th and the visitors in 12th. Mid table obscurity for both!

Quality - I remember reading that Pirlo had moved to coach a club in Turkey, just hadn't remembered which one. Many feel he was harshly treated by Juve when they punted him after only one season.

Sounds like you had a decent time at least. Always good to experience a game on foreign shores.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Sheff Wed 4-0 down in the playoff 1st leg, equalise in the 90th minute and currently 5-1 up after 24 mins of ET. 

Some game. Lot of character shown by Wednesday but if you're a Posh fan how gutted must you feel.