Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 39 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Being widely reported so I presume it's gospel, sickness bug outbreak. 

I admire this French team's ability to overcome adversity to get to the final. Losing key players (Pogba, Benzema and so on). Having to play in stadiums where 90% of the fans support the other team (vs Morocco and now vs Argentina). Even their own fans seeming reluctant to travel to Qatar to support them in large numbers. And now playing in a final where it seems the whole world is rooting for their opponents. And looking at the English (i.e. UK) mainstream media, there's even a bit of anti-French animosity coming to the surface (example Talksport Podcast title: "Mbappe vs Messi final, despite 'Stench from the French'")  . The bad luck of having key members of their squad stricken with a flu-like virus days before the final is just seems like an inevitable setback. (What's the odds their team bus will get a puncture on the way to the stadium, and that Mbappe forgets his shinpads or something).

After all this, if whatever 11 they put out today can get a win then hats off to them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Dembele hasn't been up to match this WC, Hernandez looks like he's been targeted and has played too many sloppy passes but you do wonder what effect illness has had on this French team.

Aye, they don't look like the same team as they were at the start of the tournament, whereas Argentina have gotten better with each game. So far anyway. I'm not convinced it's over yet.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:30 PM, Ally Bongo said:

France were a hard watch tonight and Croatia looked the better team last night until their defensive lapse led to the penalty and first goal

It's gearing up to be a right pish final unless you believe in the hype that it will be a corker

Both teams are geared up for the counter attack and you know what that means

Told you it would be 3-3 AET ...........