Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It makes sense from a disruption perspective but I think it also gives Wales or Austria an advantage , as well as their home advantage. 

Nah, if we beat Ukraine then go into the final on that high I'd say we would have the upper hand ;)

Although there'd be tiredness, injuries etc but Wales/Austria would have a game a few days before too... 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that the postponement is only being mentioned in news outlets. There's been nothing official from FIFA / UEFA / SFA ?!?

If Ukraine have requested a postponement it absolutely should be granted.

To minimise fixture disruption, the semi-final should be played on the 7th of June and the final about 18th of June, extending the international window by a few days. Our NL home fixture can be played at any point in the future - all other matches to be played as scheduled.

9 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Has anything been confirmed yet?

My brother sent me a text to say he had cancelled his hotel on 24th & rebooked for 7th June.

That seems very premature. Nobody has a clue about the 7th June. As it stands that’s the Nations league game v Ukraine at home (or no game at all).

J

12 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Nah, if we beat Ukraine then go into the final on that high I'd say we would have the upper hand ;)

Although there'd be tiredness, injuries etc but Wales/Austria would have a game a few days before too... 

I just think that Wales or Austria have more chance of being rested as I dont think they will field their first team , or will make loads of substitutions,  in the nations league game.

But you may be right. if we do win the semi perhaps adrenaline will keep the momentum going. Even if we have to witness a meltdown in Dublin a few days later ……🙄😊

The decision, whatever it is, is never going to please  everyone. 

10 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

That seems very premature. Nobody has a clue about the 7th June. As it stands that’s the Nations league game v Ukraine at home (or no game at all).

J

So basically we know the same as this morning, we're not playing Ukraine on 24th March but could play friendlies on 24th/29th & the NL games haven't been moved......yet.

21 minutes ago, min said:

Strange that the postponement is only being mentioned in news outlets. There's been nothing official from FIFA / UEFA / SFA ?!?

If Ukraine have requested a postponement it absolutely should be granted.

To minimise fixture disruption, the semi-final should be played on the 7th of June and the final about 18th of June, extending the international window by a few days. Our NL home fixture can be played at any point in the future - all other matches to be played as scheduled.

Absolutely. Let’s hope they’re capable of thinking outside the box enough to do that

As I said the other day a postponement was inevitable. Ukraine have to be given every chance to fulfil the fixture without massive handicap.

However, if June comes around and the situation remains the same then it is not unreasonable for us to expect Ukraine to forfeit the match sadly. And that being the case, obviously, our Nations League matches against them will also surely be forfeited.

4 hours ago, Bobster said:

No problem - you can all watch it on my telly because I don't actually live in Wales 😅 It's a mad dwarf chum of Tidy's that thinks I do.

You nearly gave it away there. Me, you, Tidier, fringo, exile and giant Greg will make music in the valleys. 

Wales - Austria should definitely be postponed to align with our game.  

The intensity of a WC play-off game will be massive and difficult to recover from - physically and mentally - to go again 4 days later. If we were having to do that but the opposition weren’t, it would be a massive disadvantage. 

See Euro2020 for how we crashed down against Croatia after putting so much into the England game. You also see teams suffer all the time on Sunday games after playing a big European tie the preceding midweek. Also, I know there was an alcohol factor from celebrating vs Serbia, but we ballsed up the next 2 NL games during that international window which blew our chances of finishing top of the group. 

19 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

The intensity of a WC play-off game will be massive and difficult to recover from - physically and mentally - to go again 4 days later. If we were having to do that but the opposition weren’t, it would be a massive disadvantage. 

See Euro2020 for how we crashed down against Croatia after putting so much into the England game. You also see teams suffer all the time on Sunday games after playing a big European tie the preceding midweek. Also, I know there was an alcohol factor from celebrating vs Serbia, but we ballsed up the next 2 NL games during that international window which blew our chances of finishing top of the group. 

👏👏

12 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Disagree. With that scenario, Wales / Austria would be disadvantaged in the not too unlikely event of us ultimately getting a bye to the final. It would also involve potential disruption to their NL opponents - France, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Netherlands and Poland. 

Keep it simple, Wales v Austria to go ahead as planned. There will be people unhappy with whatever decision though. 

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I know, we had planned on driving to Wales regardless. I am no driving to Vienna the Russians might mistake me for Maria Von Trapp belting out Doh a Deer in my escape vehicle. 
I dont have a problem at all with the uncertainty of where we are playing, I am more bothered that we may be disadvantaged by potentially playing 2 major back to back games whereas Wales/Austria may field a weakened side for their nations league game to avoid injury . 

Thplinth will be along in a minute to correct you that it’s the Ukrainians who are the Nazis in this movie. 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

100 per cent agree. Massive advantage to Wales or Austria who can rest up players while Scotland/Ukraine potentially have 120 minutes to play 3/4 days before.

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Good point, or my prediction - we get a bye to the final in June and a 3-0 home win in the Nations League on the same day as the final, then qualify for the WC on the Tuesday before petting in Dublin and Yerevan. 

J

9 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

"We can also confirm that, with the play-off semi-final between Wales v Austria going ahead in March, a friendly match away from home to the losing side will take place on 29 March"

At least we know we have game scheduled for March. A meaningless one, but better than none.