Scotland v Israel - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Israel

Tartan blood

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

SFA fined £8000 for some Scotland fans booing the Israeli national anthem. 

I don’t remember the SFA being fined for the English anthem being booed previously but I could be wrong. 

I can’t understand why we can be fined for that?

Having said that, it’s an absolute embarrassment booing other national anthems.  Do not agree with it at all.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I can’t understand why we can be fined for that?

Having said that, it’s an absolute embarrassment booing other national anthems.  Do not agree with it at all.

It’s against the rules so UEFA can fine associations for it. The fine was also for having a flag which transmitted a message not appropriate for a football match. Seems petty but then so was the fine. £8000, I mean what’s the point?

Booing National Anthems is stupid. GSTQ is the possible exception as it’s offensive to Scots but I don’t even boo that. There were likely some people at the Israel game who only went for that very reason. 

All “national anthems” at football are fking cringeworthy, embarrassing, unnecessary and absurd. Wish they were done away with. Should just be like club football: line up, shake hands and sprint off ready for the game.

just my 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

All “national anthems” at football are fking cringeworthy, embarrassing, unnecessary and absurd. Wish they were done away with. Should just be like club football: line up, shake hands and sprint off ready for the game.

just my 2 cents.

It’s just tradition now I suppose. I doubt there would be a huge outcry if they done away with it. 

Could be worse. We could sing the National anthem at all major sporting events like they do in the US. 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

just my 2 cents.

Exactly, if they don't want anthems booed at games then stop fukin playing them. Problem solved.

Mind you, that burd in Jacksonville doing the US anthem was classic entertainment. 🤣 It was the best part of the game.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

just my 2 cents.

Why?You are supposed to be representing your country,so what's the problem with your countries national anthem being played.That's what seperates it from club football....which is a good thing.What on earth would be the point of international football,if to all intense purposes it was just the same as club football.?

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Why?You are supposed to be representing your country,so what's the problem with your countries national anthem being played.That's what seperates it from club football....which is a good thing.What on earth would be the point of international football,if to all intense purposes it was just the same as club football.?

ha yes. Without the anthems how on earth would you know whether it was a domestic, European or international game you were watching?

6 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

ha yes. Without the anthems how on earth would you know whether it was a domestic, European or international game you were watching?

6 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

So exactly what is your problem with singing our national anthem?I think it's great when Hampden belts it out as one.It's an international match,so it's different from club football.Thank goodness.It's about supporters from different clubs coming together to support Scotland.What better way to show it,than a great rendition of our anthem.Can't see what the issue is.Oh,and by the way...welcome back.Fair missed your wisdom on the forum.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

And why boo Israel’s anthem?  Silly and embarrassing behaviour from us.

Are you not familiar with he situation in Israel and the surrounding area and international opinion towards it?

Not that I agree with booking an anthem but there is a reason behind it. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you not familiar with he situation in Israel and the surrounding area and international opinion towards it?

One more 'booking' and our anthem will miss the next match anyway 😉

are many countries fined for booing the anthem? Are certain countries more protected? 

Freedom of speech surely comes into it why do UEFA have the right to say your not allowed to express freedom of thought and if you do you get fined, when considering all the "interesting" stuff that goes on that place 

Ive never booed an anthem not massively into that however if someone wants to my thoughts are go for it nothing outrageous in doing so  

42 minutes ago, borojock said:

are many countries fined for booing the anthem? Are certain countries more protected? 

Freedom of speech surely comes into it why do UEFA have the right to say your not allowed to express freedom of thought and if you do you get fined, when considering all the "interesting" stuff that goes on that place 

Ive never booed an anthem not massively into that however if someone wants to my thoughts are go for it nothing outrageous in doing so  

No such thing as freedom of speech anymore I'm afraid 😏

Some of the anthems are brilliant. The Italian, French & German anthems in particular are stirring and passionate. Maybe if Flower of Scotland wasn't such a dirge...... at least its our dirge! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah, I am aware of that, but don’t understand why our fans would boo them.

44 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Yeah, I am aware of that, but don’t understand why our fans would boo them.

You don’t understand why some people would boo the national anthem of a country which is currently (indiscriminately) bombing the shit out of Palestine and has been for over 50 years?

There have been demonstrations outside the ground when we, and other teams, have played them. Lots of people believe Israel shouldn’t be allowed to compete in international sports.

I’m sure similar things would happen if we played Afghanistan or China or another country with suspect human rights/ international relations issues.

Personally I think people should take these things up with FIFA or UEFA rather than booing their national anthem at a football match but I can understand why they did it. 

7 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

The booing is down to ignorance and a simple judgement that because a richer bigger  country is fighting with a smaller poorer country, the bigger country is at fault. Typical crowd mentality.

Edited by borojock

Talking of ignorance  + crowd mentality

Didn't the Scotland fans boo the Liechtenstein national anthem because it's effectively the same as GSTQ?

Could we get off a fine on basis we weren't booing their national anthem, but someone else's? 😅

On 11/7/2021 at 2:07 PM, gkm_vancouver said:

The booing is down to ignorance and a simple judgement that because a richer bigger  country is fighting with a smaller poorer country, the bigger country is at fault. Typical crowd mentality.

A pretty ridiculous take to be honest