Boxing thread - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Boxing thread

vanderark14

1 hour ago, Dairbee said:

I went to the Leigh Wood v Lara fight last week in Nottingham. 

Far too many lads had clearly been out all day for the Forest City game and carried it over to the boxing. 

The atmosphere was far too edgy to enjoy and there was a massive punch up about 4 rows behind me between Nottinghams finest......

I thought Leigh Wood was ahead and getting on top until Lara landed that left. 

If the proposed Wood Warrington fight at either Elland Road or City ground goes ahead it will be carnage. 

Seems to happen more often than not at the boxing these days.  Unfortunately too many sporting events are being ruined by coked up arseholes who can't handle what they're shovelling up their beaks.

@Fairbairn

Sorry, can't get the quote function to work. 

It was probably my own fault, I went for the cheap seats last week.

The last time I was there was a Carl Froch fight and I paid a bit more for the floor level seats.  It looked a fair bit quieter down there.  

Mind you, the price difference was £100. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Caught the last round of the Fury NgAnoo fight. Fury knocked on his arse in the 3rd round but win by split decision... Never seen the fight mind you.. Was it a fair decision? 

No, Ngannou won that hands down, lots of envelopes flying aboot. I struggle to remember a round I thought Fury won. 

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of @morrie21on this latest "event" 

Both furys in my opinion are making a mockery of the sport. Tommy fury by entertaining this youtuber nonsense but last night was the final straw for me. The build up was laughable and over the top, the pundits and presenter were waxing lyrical about the event but you could tell they weren't genuine, when celebs were interviewed they were the same. Talking about how awesome it all was but you could tell it wasn't sincere. 

There's hyping a fight/sports event and then there was last night. 

I switched off just before the fight as I was almost laughing at how pathetic it was. 

I've read the reports and it now seems like fury arguably lost but the judges gave him the fight. 

If there's any justice in sport, usyk beats him and he retires. Another justice would be never staging a fight in Saudi again. Its nothing more than big celeb bash and each celeb is paid to come and say good things about saudi

Edited by vanderark14

Boxing in general is a farce.

Too many of these 'show bouts'.

Way too many crooked decisions by the judges as we have seen multiple times in the past.

Also the biggest bouts on pay-per-view taking it further away from the fans.

Also so many of the best possible fights we never see as boxers and promoters refuse to make them happen because of fear and money.

On top of that the multitide of world champions there are at the same weights  - another farce.

Need I go on?

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Boxing in general is a farce.

Too many of these 'show bouts'.

Way too many crooked decisions by the judges as we have seen multiple times in the past.

Also the biggest bouts on pay-per-view taking it further away from the fans.

Also so many of the best possible fights we never see as boxers and promoters refuse to make them happen because of fear and money.

On top of that the multitide of world champions there are at the same weights  - another farce.

Need I go on?

It is a farce. In fact so is football if you think about it but that's another debate

However last night felt like a new level of farcical. Anyone who paid for that needs to get themselves checked out because gullible doesn't cover it.

Wasnt planning on watching last night but wasnt much else on so switched over. Build up was a joke. An opening ceremony FFS. Agree with the above about the Saudis, was the 1st time for me when the sportswashing was so obvious.

Fury was very poor and struggled because he couldnt use his weight to lean on and manhandle his opponent.

As a layperson it didnt look like he won the fight however I can actually understand how he did. Even though he didnt do much of substance each round his jab alone was scoring points. His opponent had at best a few scoring shots each round purely because he wasnt a boxer. If he landed the same shots but also used some point scoring jabs then he would have nicked the rounds and won the fight.

That being said, its not a good look. Even though I can understand the scorecard going the way they did, your eyes tell you something different and the vast majority of people watching wont be boxers so most will feel that Fury lost. That alone isnt good for the sport.

It wont happen but having 1 belt per weight class would transform boxing. 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of @morrie21on this latest "event" 

Both furys in my opinion are making a mockery of the sport. Tommy fury by entertaining this youtuber nonsense but last night was the final straw for me. The build up was laughable and over the top, the pundits and presenter were waxing lyrical about the event but you could tell they weren't genuine, when celebs were interviewed they were the same. Talking about how awesome it all was but you could tell it wasn't sincere. 

There's hyping a fight/sports event and then there was last night. 

I switched off just before the fight as I was almost laughing at how pathetic it was. 

I've read the reports and it now seems like fury arguably lost but the judges gave him the fight. 

If there's any justice in sport, usyk beats him and he retires. Another justice would be never staging a fight in Saudi again. Its nothing more than big celeb bash and each celeb is paid to come and say good things about saudi

I had no interest in it mate. Some of my writing colleagues were working on it so I supported their articles, read their work etc but didn't get involved myself. I haven't seen the fight but it sounds like Fury was woefully under prepared and was lucky to win the split decision.

What a shambles.

One curious thing I picked up on was Fury claiming to be rusty after 11 months out the ring. 1)  it's his choice to not box for that long and 2) his opponent was having his first ever boxing match so making that statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Obviously Ngannou has had success in another combat sport and is a strong athlete in phenomenal shape but it seems like he highlighted Fury's slide. The big man's skills are eroding and Usyk is favourite in my book to defeat him. Although this coming week there will probably be an excuse postponing that bout.

As for the paid atendees speaking positively about the event and Saudi - that pish is as transparent as clear water. Even Teddy Atlas was at it so he sold out to them too. Hope they enjoyed their paydays.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wonder if those that still think Fury would beat Joshua might want to reconsider ...

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Wonder if those that still think Fury would beat Joshua might want to reconsider ...

If fury takes the fight seriously he beats joshua. 

I wouldn't measure wither of them on a saudi panto show performance

On another note I struggle to watch these saudi shows. It's one massive celeb bash to massage a rich cunts ego, it has fuck all to do with the sport.  🤢 🤮 

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If fury takes the fight seriously he beats joshua. 

I wouldn't measure wither of them on a saudi panto show performance

On another note I struggle to watch these saudi shows. It's one massive celeb bash to massage a rich cunts ego, it has fuck all to do with the sport.  🤢 🤮 

I note the woman who oversaw the Newcastle takeover says she reckons a Saudi team will be in the Champions League sooner rather than later. Money talks.

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I note the woman who oversaw the Newcastle takeover says she reckons a Saudi team will be in the Champions League sooner rather than later. Money talks.

I reckon she's right. The champions league stopped being sport a long time ago. It's an entertainment show now. 

I wouldn't mind if the boxers and promoters openly said it's about the money but please spare us the shite about it being a great atmosphere and great for the sport. It's not. 

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Were Newcastle not on the "Champions" League this year? 😉

• 1 month later...