Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 336 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Imagine taking 3 non-scoring strikers. Plus Christie, who doesn't even play in an attacking position anymore.

I would say having a free scoring, confident striker in the squad should be an absolute must. Brown should not be ahead of Shankland simply because he plays in the EPL.

100% correct. If Shankland keeps scoring he must be in. We desperately need a guy whose first instinct is scoring goals. If we go with three guys who just aren't natural finishers then that would be a shocking mistake. Shankland provides a different option to the other three in that he is a goalscorer. 

3 minutes ago, thesaint said:

100% correct. If Shankland keeps scoring he must be in. We desperately need a guy whose first instinct is scoring goals. If we go with three guys who just aren't natural finishers then that would be a shocking mistake. Shankland provides a different option to the other three in that he is a goalscorer. 

I fully agree.

Just checking the stats and between Dykes, Adams and Brown the total goals scored so far this season is 11.To be going to a major tournament with all 3 players hardly scoring would be ridiculous if Shankland is still scoring freely. 

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

My constant gripe with Adams is his lack of finishing. I know it's not the role of our strikers primarily to score goals, but I can think of quite a few guilt-edged chances missed where he should have found the back of the net.

If we look at the teams he has scored against (Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Moldova, Armenia) - fair enough he scored v Denmark but even that was a 1 on 1 with the keeper, you could easily argue he won't be able to make the difference for us against top teams (who are more clinical that us), when against better defences, goalkeepers and with fewer chances.

I do think Adams on form has a better all round game than Dykes, and allows us to play more expansively using his pace and mobility to get the ball into his feet in good areas rather than route one which seems like the Plan A Dykes solution.

At the end of the day we know our limitations in this position.

If you take the top 10 teams that Adams and Shankland have scored against in the career then Adams record is levels above Shankland

Its not fair or accurate to not look at the whole picture. Adams has scored goals against the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc so he has the ability to score against top teams. If anything using this criteria goes against Shankland as I imagine the best he has scored against will be Rangers or Celtic.

In terms of starts Shankland is probably 4th choice. In terms of coming on a sub when we need a goal he is 1st choice. For that reason if we only take 3 strikers, he will be one of them and Brown will miss out.

I'm just off to Southampton-Walsall in the FA Cup.

Team news...

I assumed Adams would get a starting place - against Walsall - but he doesn't.

Fraser gets a start.

Adams is on the bench. Armstrong is also on the bench, but he starts most league games, so that's just case of being rested.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

If you take the top 10 teams that Adams and Shankland have scored against in the career then Adams record is levels above Shankland

Its not fair or accurate to not look at the whole picture. Adams has scored goals against the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc so he has the ability to score against top teams. If anything using this criteria goes against Shankland as I imagine the best he has scored against will be Rangers or Celtic.

In terms of starts Shankland is probably 4th choice. In terms of coming on a sub when we need a goal he is 1st choice. For that reason if we only take 3 strikers, he will be one of them and Brown will miss out.

It is pretty irrelevant in the grand sheme of things though. Turn the clock back a few years and we had EPL striker Oli McBurnie whilst Wales had Keifor Moore who had largely bummed around in lower leagues. McBurnie no international goals whilst Moore has 12. David Healy of Northern Ireland was a lower leagye journeyman but in international football he was deadly scoring even more international goals than Law and Dalglish.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is pretty irrelevant in the grand sheme of things though. Turn the clock back a few years and we had EPL striker Oli McBurnie whilst Wales had Keifor Moore who had largely bummed around in lower leagues. McBurnie no international goals whilst Moore has 12. David Healy of Northern Ireland was a lower leagye journeyman but in international football he was deadly scoring even more international goals than Law and Dalglish.

Anybody can choose random players to suit their agenda though. It is a fact more EPL players have scored international goals than Championship or league 1. I could say Harry Kane scored more than David Healy but that doesnt really move along the debate does it.

Better players play in better leagues. Thats common sense. Now of course that doesnt always translate to performing well at international level and isnt the be all and end all. However its a good starting point for judging a players general ability.

Adams is a low end EPL / top end Championship level player. Dykes and Shankland are probably mid level Championship players. They all have different strengths and weaknesses though and Clarke will play them in the games / moments that play to their stengths.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

I'm just off to Southampton-Walsall in the FA Cup.

Team news...

I assumed Adams would get a starting place - against Walsall - but he doesn't.

Fraser gets a start.

Adams is on the bench. Armstrong is also on the bench, but he starts most league games, so that's just case of being rested.

Another cracking goal from Fraser 👍

Edited by dan cake

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Anybody can choose random players to suit their agenda though. It is a fact more EPL players have scored international goals than Championship or league 1. I could say Harry Kane scored more than David Healy but that doesnt really move along the debate does it.

Better players play in better leagues. Thats common sense. Now of course that doesnt always translate to performing well at international level and isnt the be all and end all. However its a good starting point for judging a players general ability.

Adams is a low end EPL / top end Championship level player. Dykes and Shankland are probably mid level Championship players. They all have different strengths and weaknesses though and Clarke will play them in the games / moments that play to their stengths.

The most important thing is that they show they can do it at international level. Shankland could be a Healy-type in the making but we won't know until he gets a chance for us - a proper chance. It is not rocket science that we do not have a real top notch striker but Clarke can only work with what he has got. He has done really well to fashion out such a run.of results when short of real quality in depth in goal and up front.

Watching Stoke v Brighton.

Gilmour’s much acclaimed high pass success rate is definitely not in evidence today. 

Having a very poor game and given the ball away several times.

Ooft - Ryan Fraser on fire today, 2 goals and an assist 🔥 

Sky Sports Soccer Saturday waxing lyrical about him 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I wonder if S.Clarke taking this game in today?? 

3 minutes ago, broraboy said:

His form has been excellent since moving to saints. Some of his finishing has been top notch. Gotta be a contender for a place in the euros squad.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its not fair or

accurate to not look at the whole picture. Adams has scored goals against the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc so he has the ability to score against top teams. If anything using this criteria goes against Shankland as I imagine the best he has scored against will be Rangers or Celtic.

🤣🤣🤣

It's pretty difficult for any player to score against teams he has never played against. 🤣

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

His form has been excellent since moving to saints. Some of his finishing has been top notch. Gotta be a contender for a place in the euros squad.

He’d surely be in the squad if it was being picked tomorrow, I don’t give a fuck which fan base he’s pissed off. Could definitely be a game changer off the bench or an important squad player for tournament football 

Edited by dan cake

13 minutes ago, dan cake said:

He’d surely be in the squad if it was being picked tomorrow, I don’t give a fuck which fan base he’s pissed off. Could definitely be a game changer off the bench or an important squad player for tournament football 

Agreed. He looks like an EPL player playing in the championship. Which is exactly what he is. Difficult to see how he would fit neatly into our system ,though.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Gilmour’s much acclaimed high pass success rate is definitely not in evidence today. 

Just saw your message after looking at bbc sport giving Gilmour man of the match with 8 out of 10.

Just back from the Southampton match.

Two goals and an assist for Fraser. He might have had two more goals had a couple of passes to him been slicker.

Adams came on and scored too.

EVERYTHING I have seen and heard about Fraser since he arrived at Saints has oozed positivity; whether that be his performances, his interviews or Russel Martin's interviews talking about him.

I see a lot of behind the scenes snippets and interviews on the club app and he looks incredibly happy. A couple of weeks ago, I saw an interview with Fraser and he was absolutely beaming. He was all smiles today too. He's seems a happy bunny and not the least bit problematic.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

91% successful pass rate according to opta. Guess if you make a 100 passes in a game you will make more mistakes than someone making 30

2 hours ago, broraboy said:

Didn't Clarke have a bit of a spat with Fraser a couple of years ago?

2 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Didn't Clarke have a bit of a spat with Fraser a couple of years ago?

Na the tartan army board armchair management committee decided he wasn’t good enough because he made a cunt of Aberdeen and Bournemouth 

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Ryan Fraser with 2 goals and an assist. 

still a cunt

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

dont see clarke choosing him