Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 278 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

He's not good enough for Scotland

One or two posters get a stiffy for him every so often.

or perhaps they are related to him.

I don't know, however.   .

He's in Canada for a reason

He couldn't make it at Hibs for a reason.

Unfortunately, He's really not good enough.

Gonna Gee us all a break....👍

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I know he only played five games at Hibs but still I know Hibs fans told me they were not impressed. Now considering how we are told ad nauseum how crap the SPL is do you not find it odd that he never shone? I certainly do.

And why is he languishing in Canada now if he is mini-Messi or a player rated highly?

‘Languishing’ with a salary of +£2m a year. How many Scots earning more than that? Less than a handful probably 

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He definitely deserves a place in the next squad imo. He won't be in the mls much longer if he keeps this up. Must be some clubs in europe interested in him.

Those numbers look excellent. If someone in the Premiership here had stats like that people would be banging Steve Clarke's door down to have him included in the next squad, which makes me wonder: is the MLS really any worse than the SPFL?

We've a couple of friendlies coming up soon; maybe Clarke should take a leaf from Craig Brown's book and give him some game-time. If he does well, then great, we've another option. If he fails, then it puts the 'Ryan Gauld for Scotland' thing to bed.

46 minutes ago, stocky said:

Lol i think thats a tad harsh. We are not brazil or Italy. Guys like gauld can earn a place in our squad if they are in good form. His form at the moment is exceptional and the mls is pretty decent these days so I dont see why he shouldn't be considered.

Whos infront of him that isnt a squad regular already?

58 minutes ago, stocky said:

Lauded by folk that have never seen him play, Iv seen some utter dross play in the green of the Hibernians and he’d make my all time shit eleven 

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

2026 if I understand correctly so eligible for next World Cup if they qualify 

Needs to have been resident in Canada for five years, so that would be end of July 2026, which is after the World Cup has finished.  He’ll be 30 going on 31, so if Scotland haven’t capped him by then and he wants to then try Canada, surely that’s fair enough?

I wish he’d test himself in a good European league and give himself a chance of playing for Scotland, but I suppose he dry his tears at not being picked with some of his massive pile of dollar bills. 

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Couple of goals and an assist for Gauld this morning in the states

Really wish he had tried his hand in a top league rather than move to Canada. 

The MLS isn't any worse than the Scottish League. The guys a good player and probably deserves a shot in our squad. He was great in Portugal in a team fighting relegation too.

He went to Canada as he got offered a good contract and the lifestyle is fucking quality tbf

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

The MLS isn't any worse than the Scottish League. The guys a good player and probably deserves a shot in our squad. He was great in Portugal in a team fighting relegation too.

He went to Canada as he got offered a good contract and the lifestyle is fucking quality tbf

Yeah in reality it’s probably a stronger league than ours now 

A few observations

Young keepers impressing with a bit of interest in Mckenna at Queens Park, Smith at Hamilton and Long (on loan at from Lincoln) at Falkirk seem to be doing  very good. 

Would possibly be an interesting comparison Gauld and Holsgrove from what I understand Holsgrove has Been a standout at Estoril since joining. 

Liam Morrison has been on the bench last 2 matches only coming off the bench.

Leonard keeps on impressing at Northampton loan from Brighton, a number of fans saying he is the best midfielder they have ever had and a class above the division. From twitter. 

Andy Irving 3 goals 5 assists in the first 5 games in Austria.

21 minutes ago, syecosse said:

A few observations

Young keepers impressing with a bit of interest in Mckenna at Queens Park, Smith at Hamilton and Long (on loan at from Lincoln) at Falkirk seem to be doing  very good. 

Would possibly be an interesting comparison Gauld and Holsgrove from what I understand Holsgrove has Been a standout at Estoril since joining. 

Liam Morrison has been on the bench last 2 matches only coming off the bench.

Leonard keeps on impressing at Northampton loan from Brighton, a number of fans saying he is the best midfielder they have ever had and a class above the division. From twitter. 

Andy Irving 3 goals 5 assists in the first 5 games in Austria.

Great update as always syecosse. I was just reading on the Brighton forum that football stats people were looking across Europe to see who would be the closest profile to Caicedo, who they just sold for £115m. They were surprised to discover it was actually a Brighton player out on loan, Mark Leonard! Realise he’s a playing at a low level but given how good Brighton’s talent spotters are, it’s maybe an encouraging sign 

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Looks like Campbell's Luton career is over. Not even on the bench against Gillingham. Lot of Luton fans thinking the same, one even hoping he's injured, instead of going. Doing a quick Twitter search, they all love him

He’s a good player with plenty of energy but miles off a squad place given who we’ve got nowadays. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Hayden Hackney has told Gemmill he wants to try and get in the England squad, so we can forget about that one for a year or 2. 

Where is this? As they most credible thing I can see is that he wants to concentrate on Middlesbrough(similar to Hickey not wanting u21 football) at the moment but I am not sure about that even.

Really hope hackney sticks with us as its unlikely he makes it with england. Good chance that mcgregor will retire in 3/4 years and that leaves hackney with an open spot to partner what will probably be gilmour in central midfield. 

Saying that its his choice but hes still only a championship player and until he becomes an epl regular the england senior team won't look twice at him.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really hope hackney sticks with us as its unlikely he makes it with england. Good chance that mcgregor will retire in 3/4 years and that leaves hackney with an open spot to partner what will probably be gilmour in central midfield. 

Saying that its his choice but hes still only a championship player and until he becomes an epl regular the england senior team won't look twice at him.

And realistically he has to be an EPL regular for a team in the top 5 to get a sniff. If you look at the quality and age-profile of their midfield (or any area of their team really) then you are typically looking at guys with 100 career appearances at top teams breaking in at 22ish. Guys like Skipp (60 games for Spurs, 50 for Norwich), Jacob Ramsey (almost 100 games for Villa), Curtis Jones (more than 50 games for Liverpool) and Harvey Elliott (almost 100 games split evenly between Blackburn and Liverpool) are starting in their U21 midfield - I can't even see him getting anywhere near that to be honest.

Hackney is, at this point, kidding himself I think if he thinks he is breaking in to the England (youth) setup in any kind of sustained way. I am pretty doubtful that is the reason though, I expect he just doesn't want to spend a week with the ball getting punted over his head by a Scot Gemmill team.