Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 265 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Elliot Anderson getting rave reviews. Two goals in friendly win against Brighton. Will that make England come calling? 

He's had a great pre-season: three goals and an assist in that wee tournament in the US.

He'd need to do more for the England senior team to come calling, but worryingly I think he's still young enough to play for their U21s. 😕

On 7/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, GHfaeGTA said:

Elliot Anderson getting rave reviews. Two goals in friendly win against Brighton. Will that make England come calling? 

He would need to start for Newcastle every week for a long period of time to be considered for the England squad. 

I’ve noticed Anderson was asked about his international future before the Allan McGregor testimonial match.

"I am unsure at the minute to be honest with you. It is a tough decision in my career because it's for the rest of your career. As of now, I want to work on being a player at Newcastle."

4 minutes ago, csinclair said:

I’ve noticed Anderson was asked about his international future before the Allan McGregor testimonial match.

"I am unsure at the minute to be honest with you. It is a tough decision in my career because it's for the rest of your career. As of now, I want to work on being a player at Newcastle."

That effectively reads that he wants to wait to see if hes good enough for england first. If hes not then scotland will be his choice.

Thats fair enough imo, lads born and brought up in england. His first choice should be england.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

That effectively reads that he wants to wait to see if hes good enough for england first. If hes not then scotland will be his choice.

Thats fair enough imo, lads born and brought up in england. His first choice should be england.

Whilst that maybe true, its also your assumptions. It doesnt read like anything really.

For example, almost everybody said the same about McTomminay when McLeish and Southgate were trying to call him up at the same time.

Maybe he just wants to concentrate on establishing himself in the Newcastle side before thinking about international football. In the same way Hickey got slaughtered on here for doing the same and that turned out ok.

Im always relaxed about these things. If he ends up playing for England then so be it, if its us then I wont be holding anything against him. We are doing well enough to be a viable option for players now.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It reads to me like someone who's genuinely torn and just wants to concentrate on his club career at this point in time, which seems sensible. Hopefully he ultimately decides to play for us.

13 hours ago, syecosse said:

Any Hamilton fans here or anyone know much about Lucas De Bolle came off the bench for Newcastle against Atheltico Bilbao.

Andy Irving scored a double and assist in the Austrian prem opener. 

That Bilbao game was last year I believe. Think another loan move is likely for De Bolle this season since he's not been involved in any of the first team friendlies as far as I can tell.

Eddie Howe said he was impressed by him last summer and then the start of his loan spell at Hamilton was hampered by injury but looks like he did alright the second half of the season.

Edited by csinclair

Not only is Anderson competing with all the abundance of wingers/attacking midfielders England already have in and about the squad, he'll also have to beat out his teammates Harvey Barnes and Anthony Gordon for place for club and country. The chances of him winning more than 3 or 4 caps for England are pretty low. 

I suspect he might play for England U/21s this year and then in a few years play for Scotland Angus Gunn style. 

7 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

Not only is Anderson competing with all the abundance of wingers/attacking midfielders England already have in and about the squad, he'll also have to beat out his teammates Harvey Barnes and Anthony Gordon for place for club and country. The chances of him winning more than 3 or 4 caps for England are pretty low. 

I suspect he might play for England U/21s this year and then in a few years play for Scotland Angus Gunn style. 

Ironically 2 players who were eligible for Scotland too though the chances with either of those has always been slim to none

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Players with options (England or Scotland) now have a slightly (very slightly) more difficult decision now since we look like becoming perhaps a regular qualifying nation again that was not the case three or four years ago.

Kind of surprised harvey barnes hasnt decided to play for us. The prospect of a major tournament must be tempting and he might never get a chance with england.

On 7/30/2023 at 12:13 PM, mccaughey85 said:

18 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Whilst that maybe true, its also your assumptions. It doesnt read like anything really.

For example, almost everybody said the same about McTomminay when McLeish and Southgate were trying to call him up at the same time.

Maybe he just wants to concentrate on establishing himself in the Newcastle side before thinking about international football. In the same way Hickey got slaughtered on here for doing the same and that turned out ok.

Im always relaxed about these things. If he ends up playing for England then so be it, if its us then I wont be holding anything against him. We are doing well enough to be a viable option for players now.

18 hours ago, scotlad said:

It reads to me like someone who's genuinely torn and just wants to concentrate on his club career at this point in time, which seems sensible. Hopefully he ultimately decides to play for us.

Dunno i think you guys are being optimistic and are giving the lad the benefit of the doubt. If england want him and hes guaranteed a squad place he will play for them. 

It was different with mctominay, his dad is scottish and he was quoted as saying hes probably more scottish than english. Anderson has also switched allegiances before at youth level and i think hes eligible on the grandparent rule. 

The lad probably feels english and wants to play for them which is fair enough. Hes obviously just waiting to see what options he has and wether hes good enough for england. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dunno i think you guys are being optimistic and are giving the lad the benefit of the doubt. If england want him and hes guaranteed a squad place he will play for them. 

It was different with mctominay, his dad is scottish and he was quoted as saying hes probably more scottish than english. Anderson has also switched allegiances before at youth level and i think hes eligible on the grandparent rule. 

The lad probably feels english and wants to play for them which is fair enough. Hes obviously just waiting to see what options he has and wether hes good enough for england. 

I actually agree and if I was betting id guess thats whats in his mind however my point is that, thats all we are all doing at the moment. Guessing.

All im saying is lets not put words in the boys mouth by interpreting statements and passing the interpretation off as facts.

Would he improve us yes. Will we be a good team without him. Yes.

5 years or so ago we were scrambling about looking for anybody to be a saviour. We are long past that now. 

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Kind of surprised harvey barnes hasnt decided to play for us. The prospect of a major tournament must be tempting and he might never get a chance with england.

I'm sure I read an interview with his dad a while back where he said he wouldn't consider it and only had eyes on playing for England or noone.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I'm sure I read an interview with his dad a while back where he said he wouldn't consider it and only had eyes on playing for England or noone.

Fair play to the lad if thats how he feels. Saying that i find a bit of a strange one as surely the chance of a major tournament would be a massive incentive. The lad would be guaranteed to be heading to germany next summer with us asuming we dont fuck up big time.

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Time folk forgot about him, he has no intention of playing for us. 

He's played 7 times for us already at age-group level (compared to only once for England) so it isn't that outlandish.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well, we'll see.  England's U21 squad that recently won the U21 Euros is aging and not many will be eligible for their next campaign.  If he is called up to their U21 squad and accepts it we'll know for certain he's just been holding out for an England call-up.

Personally, I think he'd be better off staying with us.  He's likely to win far more caps and we're starting to look like a team capable of qualifying for tournaments again (England win the occasional age-group tournaments but they're not exactly renowned for winning major tournaments, so it's unlikely he'd be missing out potential glory there). 

Then again, I am biased.