Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 163 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If we had a friendly to "experiment" in - would an Adams and Stewart partnership be something worth trying out ?

Adams is not always the easiest player to make out. In the games I've seen him at Hampden I've been impressed with his link up play with the midfield and wing backs which usually creates a few chances and sometimes a goal. Think he may be a bit of a confidence player as well so getting a scoring run going before the upcoming triple header would be good timing.

2 hours ago, todd said:

There's clearly a very decent player in there somewhere, hopefully it's starting to show itself 🤞

There definitely is. Under Rodgers at Celtic he was looking like the real deal. Then subsequent managers seem to be lost on how to use him.

We all keep thinking about whether a certain player will get in the first 11. That's a bit short sighted. We should be thinking about all 16 of the players that can be used during a game. 

A confidence filled Burke could be an excellent plan B. Especially against the elite teams where counter attacks will be crucial. 

11 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Don’t think tierney is going to be a regular starter for arsenal now , seems to be a regular sub now.

'Zinchenko and Tierney. How do I play them both? ' Arteta should pick up the phone and give Stevie Clarke a ring about how to accommodate two top class left backs into a team.

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

'Zinchenko and Tierney. How do I play them both? ' Arteta should pick up the phone and give Stevie Clarke a ring about how to accommodate two top class left backs into a team.

I wouldn't be too worried, looks like  Arsenal have the makings a good young team,  one that could be a good bet for 4rth place in the Epl.

You can't be a top Epl without a very good squad,  Zinchenko has not been bought to replace KT,  he has been bought due to his ability to challenge/play at a high level in a few positions. 

KT wasn't fit enough for the first game of the season so Zinchenko played left back,  they are playing well & winning so Arteta isn't going to change things just to accommodate KT.  His time will come soon enough I'm sure,  the fact he has came on as sub in every game so far tells me he is very much part of the team. 

Anyway with his injury record it might actually do us a favour if he isn't always a automatic pick. 

I am becoming increasingly keen on a 433. Allows us to play guys like burke and morgan who are maybe not quite suited to playing as wingers in a 442 or 451. A front three made up of stewart adams burke morgan dykes fraser and brown gives us pace and guys who can create chances and score goals. Worth a try against teams that are weaker or of a similar level to us.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, syecosse said:

Have been reading about Ross Stewarts start to the season, apparently he has really raised his game so far, good link up play with Simms who was on loan at Hearts last year,a lot more than fans where expecting in the championship from him, fans want him tied down to a new contract. 5 games 3 goals and 2 assists. 

Hes going to end up in the epl at xmas if he continues scoring. 3 goals and 2 assists shows hes clearly good enough for the championship and we will need to look at giving him a proper first team chance in the september games. 

On 8/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, theabsentee said:

I wouldn't be too worried, looks like  Arsenal have the makings a good young team,  one that could be a good bet for 4rth place in the Epl.

You can't be a top Epl without a very good squad,  Zinchenko has not been bought to replace KT,  he has been bought due to his ability to challenge/play at a high level in a few positions. 

KT wasn't fit enough for the first game of the season so Zinchenko played left back,  they are playing well & winning so Arteta isn't going to change things just to accommodate KT.  His time will come soon enough I'm sure,  the fact he has came on as sub in every game so far tells me he is very much part of the team. 

Anyway with his injury record it might actually do us a favour if he isn't always a automatic pick. 

I'm actually not worried.  Both are very accomplished players who could play in several positions.  You're right that managers nowadays need to think of more than just "What's my best XI?". I suspect if both are played Zinchenko might fill a midfield berth.

Adams again 4 in 4 days, Mcginn is taking some stick from Villa fans apparently been awful the beginning of the season, Patterson again very good. 

Just learnt Kyle Joseph Scots u21/19 striker joined Oxford on loan from Swansea and scored at the weekend.

44 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Adams again 4 in 4 days, Mcginn is taking some stick from Villa fans apparently been awful the beginning of the season, Patterson again very good. 

Just learnt Kyle Joseph Scots u21/19 striker joined Oxford on loan from Swansea and scored at the weekend.

He should get his agent working on a move to another club where they will play him as an attacking midfielder.

McGinn and his teammates are also not helped by the fact that Gerrard (according to Villa fans) has Villa playing a "weird formation" that does not work, his players don't look as though they have received any detailed instructions and several players are being played out of position.

Nonetheless, McGinn is still the main man who makes things work for Scotland.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He should get his agent working on a move to another club where they will play him as an attacking midfielder.

McGinn and his teammates are also not helped by the fact that Gerrard (according to Villa fans) has Villa playing a "weird formation" that does not work, his players don't look as though they have received any detailed instructions and several players are being played out of position.

Nonetheless, McGinn is still the main man who makes things work for Scotland.

Villa play a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield (or they did last night anyway). McGinn plays as one of the two "wide" midfielders in the diamond, which, IMO, isn't his best position.

He had a poor game last night, by his standards, but I think Villa would get more out of him if they played him further forward, closer to the position he plays for us.

Liam Cooper back from injury and starting for Leeds tonight.

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Villa play a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield (or they did last night anyway). McGinn plays as one of the two "wide" midfielders in the diamond, which, IMO, isn't his best position.

He had a poor game last night, by his standards, but I think Villa would get more out of him if they played him further forward, closer to the position he plays for us.

It surprises me that first Smith and now Gerrard rarely play McGinn in an attacking midfield role for Villa despite the clear evidence at international level that he can score goals or create them for other players when played there.

He's never a winger nor a defensive midfielder for that matter.

Still, could be worse, he could be a Norwich player.