Luxembourg game thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Luxembourg game thread

gkm_vancouver

48 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I hope they have wheeled a running machine and some weights into his hotel room. 

J

They've given him an exercise bike and apparently are communicating with him 'on his balcony' - paints a pretty picture :guitar: :sing:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, robbo cop said:

Not sure if both Tierney and Robertson will be rested for the whole game, hoping Gilmore gets a start to see what he can do. 

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by playing both T. and Rob. McTom and McG need some time but hope they get taken off early. Saw Wales panicking last night when Ampadu and Ramsey went down - you just can't take risks with your key men.

I am going to be a bit controversial does mctominay need to start games for us.

I get he is important member of the squad as he covers a few positions , but he is not outstanding at anything and he is primarily a reactive midfielder and if we want to get away from the backs to the walls stuff, he does not need to start as he isn’t a creative midfielder 

I always feel when he plays there is a harum-sacrum feel to this side, with some of those defensive performances he goes from excellent to awful and everything in between .

I did feel there was a calmness to the side the other day and I liked that , okay it was a friendly , but he is probably guaranteed start because of who he plays for, although he isn’t the only one that comes under that. 

15 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by playing both T. and Rob. McTom and McG need some time but hope they get taken off early. Saw Wales panicking last night when Ampadu and Ramsey went down - you just can't take risks with your key men.

I'd be panicking too if ampadu was a key man

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I get he is important member of the squad as he covers a few positions , but he is not outstanding at anything and he is primarily a reactive midfielder and if we want to get away from the backs to the walls stuff, he does not need to start as he isn’t a creative midfielder 

I always feel when he plays there is a harum-sacrum feel to this side, with some of those defensive performances he goes from excellent to awful and everything in between .

I did feel there was a calmness to the side the other day and I liked that , okay it was a friendly , but he is probably guaranteed start because of who he plays for, although he isn’t the only one that comes under that. 

He is a midfielder and not a defender which explains above 

Thankfully he will be playing midfield for us as he does for Manchester United 

26 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He’s one of our best players and he can create plenty. 

If Clarke leaves McTominay on the bench and we don’t win he loses his job as it would be a stupid decision. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s one of our best players and he can create plenty. 

If Clarke leaves McTominay on the bench and we don’t win he loses his job as it would be a stupid decision. 

Loses his job, really? 

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Loses his job, really? 

Well I’d sack him. 

If we were to lose all three group games narrowly with one of our best players sitting on the bench would you not question Clarke’s ability to do the job?

Thankfully that’s not going to happen (as long as McTominay is fit enough to start) so we don’t need to worry about it. 

38 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I only disagree with one aspect of this post.

The words. 

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

That statement is a bit controversial. It is also a lot of rubbish.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Well I’d sack him. 

If we were to lose all three group games narrowly with one of our best players sitting on the bench would you not question Clarke’s ability to do the job?

Thankfully that’s not going to happen (as long as McTominay is fit enough to start) so we don’t need to worry about it. 

I misunderstood, I thought you meant if he didn't play Scott today.  

28 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Have a look at something like redcafe for a different perspective 

He was okay in the game but the team was poor but that is just one game.

My whole point is we have improved but how much of a part has mctominay played in that , we have options and he should not be a guaranteed starter 

2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I don't find it controversial. 

I get where you're coming from. And I understand what you're talking about Redcafe. But you also have to remember that the people "critiquing" Scott McTominay are the same people who used to give Darren Fletcher untold pelters and labelled him "Fergie's son". They only stopped when Fletcher blossomed in the 07/08 season.

One of the main things the Redcafe haters like to beat McTominay with is that he "hides". No. He doesn't. If you watch him carefully playing for United he often slips into a centerback position, making it a back three, allowing AWB and Shaw to bomb forward.

Another one is that "he can't pass". Is he Paul Scholes or Michael Carrick? No. But he's definitely a better passer than his haters suggest.

Look at the facts. In the big matches. Scored against Manchester City with a belter, scored 2 in about 3 mins against Leeds. He was brilliant in two matches against Barcelona and PSG a couple of years ago. He was MOTM in this year's Europa Final.

His main attribute is driving the ball forward and covering ground. Every player needs a player like Scott McTominay. Liverpool wouldn't be the team they are without Jordan Henderson, and they haven't been.

A midfield needs a certain dynamic. Scott McTominay adds a workhorse dynamic to the United midfield. Does he cut defences open with passes? No. But that's what Rashford, Pogba, Bruno, etc, are there to do.

Billy Gilmour is the deep lying playmaker that Manchester United are crying out for. Home and McTominay in the pivot would be brilliant. 

56 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Have a look at something like redcafe for a different perspective 

man utds expectations are a world away from ours. man utd fans expect the best midfielders in the world, guys like keane, pirlo and scholes etc. Our standards are alot lower. mctominay is excellent midfielder. is he one of the best in the world? probably not but hes performing each week at a high level and hes easily a starter for us imo. there will always be games he will miss due to rotation and suspensions etc but he should start the majority.

Screenshot_20210606-154356_Samsung Internet.jpg

It'll probably be:

Marshall 

Hanley Gallagher Tierney 

O'Donnell                 Robertson 

McTominay  McGregor 

McGinn 

Dykes    Adams 

Edited by Taylor1996

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Screenshot_20210606-154356_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not the team I would have chosen for the final friendly but I can see where he is coming from. Hopefully our 4 best players only play 45mins (McGinn, McTominay, Robbo and Tierney)

A bit too much reliance on McGinn and our defenders to create, but otherwise a decent team.