Luxembourg game thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Luxembourg game thread

gkm_vancouver

May as well start this now. Interested to see how folk think this will go. Will be a different game to Wednesday obviously and will be good to get a decent victory as the final warm up but how will we react if we struggle to break them down. Apart from a 3-0 to Austria they've not been gubbed recently and only tend to lose by the odd goal. They are 10 places below Israel in the rankings and have won games against ROI, Cyprus & Montenegro. Can see Tierney and Robertson being saved for the Czech game, so back line will be something like O'Donnell, Hanley, Gallagher, Cooper, Taylor. With Adams up front, can see midfield being McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong and Fraser with Gilmour and Patterson getting a run out. 2-0 or 3-0 will do nicely.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marshall 

Hanley Gallagher McKenna

O'Donnell                                 Taylor

McTominay  Gilmour

McGinn

Nisbet      Fraser

7 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

Hanley Gallagher McKenna

O'Donnell                                 Taylor

McTominay  Gilmour

McGinn

Nisbet      Fraser

This team but with Patterson for O’Donnell for me. 

Just now, noctonjock said:

The guy Rodrigues who scored against Ireland looks decent . They're no whipping boys but we should have enough to beat them . I'm going for 2-0 Scotland 

I’m pretty sure they drew with France fairly recently. They are certainly no mugs but there would be very little value in playing San Marino or Gibraltar tomorrow. We need a good workout for the team while still being able to score a couple of goals and hopefully keep a clean sheet to get some confidence in the players.

I was initially surprised that we were playing Luxembourg rather than a team on the same standing as the Czech Republic but the more I think about it I think it could be a decent decision. 

Indeed Luxembourtg are no pushovers. We saw that the other night where they lost 1-0 away to Norway. The same Norway that Scotland fans were panicking about having to face in the play-off. They do not roll over for sides now and will give us a good test. I would take any win just now to give us that winning mentality going into the Euros.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

This team but with Patterson for O’Donnell for me. 

Whoever starts at RWB tomorrow will likely start against the Czech Republic so I have a feeling O’Donnell will start both games. I doubt Clarke will throw Patterson in at the deep end a week tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Whoever starts at RWB tomorrow will likely start against the Czech Republic so I have a feeling O’Donnell will start both games. I doubt Clarke will throw Patterson in at the deep end a week tomorrow. 

Agreed. O'Donnell will start in my opinion and Patterson coming on for the last half an hour or twenty minutes.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed. O'Donnell will start in my opinion and Patterson coming on for the last half an hour or twenty minutes.

Yes as long as Patterson gets a run out in case he needs to play at some point in the group games. 

Of course Clarke could surprise me and go with Patterson in the group games. Just can’t see it though. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Of course Clarke could surprise me and go with Patterson in the group games. Just can’t see it though. 

I'd be highly surprised. O'Donnell is a trusted player of Clarke's who has proven he can deliver at this level. Lets not forget he has offered two or three assists in key games for us too. A shame that fans so often overlook that.

3 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

May as well start this now. Interested to see how folk think this will go. Will be a different game to Wednesday obviously and will be good to get a decent victory as the final warm up but how will we react if we struggle to break them down. Apart from a 3-0 to Austria they've not been gubbed recently and only tend to lose by the odd goal. They are 10 places below Israel in the rankings and have won games against ROI, Cyprus & Montenegro. Can see Tierney and Robertson being saved for the Czech game, so back line will be something like O'Donnell, Hanley, Gallagher, Cooper, Taylor. With Adams up front, can see midfield being McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong and Fraser with Gilmour and Patterson getting a run out. 2-0 or 3-0 will do nicely.

a draw or loss to them would be real downer. i would like to see a 2-0 or 3-1, its a realistic target and would continue the good feeling from wednesday night. with guys like mcginn, fraser and mctominay starting we should be dominating them. hopefully good chance for gilmour to show what he can do as well.

Hoping to see that midfield of McTominay, Gilmour & McGinn, with time on the pitch for all who missed the Netherlands game including maybe a half for McLaughlin.   Is Fleck still quarantined though?   Probably some more time for Fraser too.

13 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Hoping to see that midfield of McTominay, Gilmour & McGinn, with time on the pitch for all who missed the Netherlands game including maybe a half for McLaughlin.   Is Fleck still quarantined though?   Probably some more time for Fraser too.

Fleck not available till midweek.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd be highly surprised. O'Donnell is a trusted player of Clarke's who has proven he can deliver at this level. Lets not forget he has offered two or three assists in key games for us too. A shame that fans so often overlook that.

Patterson and O’Donnell should get 45 min each. The former needs game time anyway. This is a bit like having a Tierney of 3 years ago. I don’t think it’s a huge risk that he plays in the games and there’s much to be gained, but it’s still a risk. Tough one. Be in no doubt we’re talking about someone who will go to the very top in the next few years. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He's undoubtedly a better footballer than odonnell

As gilmour is undoubtedly better than mcgregor

Sadly just too soon for them 

17 minutes ago, Bino's said:

He's undoubtedly a better footballer than odonnell

As gilmour is undoubtedly better than mcgregor

Sadly just too soon for them 

I have no doubt he will go on to be a brilliant player but he still makes too many mistakes for me to be that upset if O’Donnell starts ahead of him. He’s still learning obviously but can’t see him getting much game time next season so even the World Cup qualifiers might be too early for him.  

6 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour could very soon be our central 3 going forward. So, although I want to wrap McGinn and McTominay in cotton wool, I'd like to see how they play with Gilmour. Who will hopefully get a full 90 minutes. 

Give Marshall, O’Donnell, McGinn and McTominay 45mins only, then get them off. The likes of Fraser and Adams need game time, so I'd be tempted to give them the full 90, even though both could be starters against the Czechs.

Robbo and Tierney should be no where near the pitch.

Gordon 

Patterson 

Hanley 

Cooper

Tierney 

Robertson 

Mctominay

Gilmour 

Mcginn

Fraser

Adams

That's our strongest side for me 

Give em first half

Edited by Bino's

25 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Gordon 

Patterson 

Hanley 

Cooper

Tierney 

Robertson 

Mctominay

Gilmour 

Mcginn

Fraser

Adams

That's our strongest side for me 

Give em first half

That's pretty much the team I'd like for the Euros. Gordon and Patterson the only non EPL players for the season coming, although if Patterson has 3/4 great games he'll be moving there. Pretty much my preferred team. I think Clarke will play Marshall as first choice. I'd really like to start with Patterson. My only uncertainty is possibly Armstrong in for Fraser.

19 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I hope he recovers okay but should not have been anywhere near the finals  squad 

Couldn't help thinking during Dutch game that think was being played in gaulds home ground, would have been perfect opportunity for him 

But not to be