The news thread - Page 222 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's if you are willing to believe his "anti war" platform in 2024 will be different from his "anti war" platform in 2016

He talks some amount of shite and could blunder the world into an even worse situation

What war mongering did he do first time around?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

What war mongering did he do first time around?

Wait , did you belive he wasn't almost starting shit? He escalated Afhganistan like mad, got nowhere after a massive increase in military activity and then the pull-out started. Although Biden get's the blame for that mostly as it started during his first term properly. I'm sure they both saw no way forward with military means so just cut and run.

Then he pulled out of all these treaties, assassinated folk in Iran almost causing a huge ruckus, fucked up Yemen and encouraged, by passivity, Russian expansion.

His Foreign Policy was largely favourable to the Saudi's with supplying shit for Yemen and against Iran. Iran a country that actually hasn't invaded anyone , although it is in the grips of a theocratic nightmare government.

6 hours ago, phart said:

Wait , did you belive he wasn't almost starting shit? He escalated Afhganistan like mad, got nowhere after a massive increase in military activity and then the pull-out started. Although Biden get's the blame for that mostly as it started during his first term properly. I'm sure they both saw no way forward with military means so just cut and run.

Then he pulled out of all these treaties, assassinated folk in Iran almost causing a huge ruckus, fucked up Yemen and encouraged, by passivity, Russian expansion.

His Foreign Policy was largely favourable to the Saudi's with supplying shit for Yemen and against Iran. Iran a country that actually hasn't invaded anyone , although it is in the grips of a theocratic nightmare government.

I guess I'm just naively hoping he will be a bit less warmongering than the alternative, I suppose? Probably hoping in vain. Although, I'm not sure how much actual control presidents have over these issues when it comes down to it.

8 hours ago, phart said:

Invading in the historical context is rare nowadays. Russia being the exception.

Much more common is influencing or doing proxy wars. Iran might not have put boots on foreign soil but they will have commited numerous acts of aggression that if we wanted could amount to war. 

Btw most countries do it, not just Iran. The USA and UK amongst the worst.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Invading in the historical context is rare nowadays. Russia being the exception.

Much more common is influencing or doing proxy wars. Iran might not have put boots on foreign soil but they will have commited numerous acts of aggression that if we wanted could amount to war. 

Btw most countries do it, not just Iran. The USA and UK amongst the worst.

A fair point. I was counting back centuries. Most of the current proxy-aggressions are last few decades cause Iran got turned into a theocracy. (by UK and US over oil)

Also looks like 3 US troops killed in Jordan and Iran getting the blame.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

judges have ruled that this is illegal and equivalent to using the term “fenian”. They should in serious trouble for this.

I am shocked to see that the tambs house jock posted this 😆 🤣 😂 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

judges have ruled that this is illegal and equivalent to using the term “fenian”. They should in serious trouble for this.

And tell us how many have been charged for singing derogatory songs about fenians ?

43 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

And tell us how many have been charged for singing derogatory songs about fenians ?

Probably very few but I am sure there have been some.  I am for free speech and whilst it is distasteful on both sides for making commentary like that I don’t believe in prosecution.  The point here is about the law being applied equally - even if I disagree with the law.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Probably very few but I am sure there have been some.  I am for free speech and whilst it is distasteful on both sides for making commentary like that I don’t believe in prosecution.  The point here is about the law being applied equally - even if I disagree with the law.

I am finally beginning to understand some of your bizarre posts Malcolm. 

Things you wont see or hear from BBC Scotland # 456

As of Thursday, the 31st of January, the UK is going to start phasing in border controls on food products coming from the EU, says FT public policy editor,

Have a think on the consequences

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

As of Thursday, the 31st of January, the UK is going to start phasing in border controls on food products coming from the EU, says FT public policy editor,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68135059

22 hours ago, phart said:

Since it is topical

Utterly corrupt! Not helped by the amount of times the Prime Minister has changed recently. Expect similar from Sunak where he gets turfed out this year.

Edited by Toepoke

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Utterly corrupt! Not helped by the amount of times the Prime Minister has changed recently. Expect similar from Sunak where he gets turfed out this year.

Found this online this morning  https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/63063/if-youre-not-upset-by-charlotte-owen-you-should-be

The SNP should be all over this IMO. 

Well played to the UK government, especially the tories. They have created a country where hardly any of the population cares what the government does. The population has just accepted that this is the way things are and thats that. 

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There's already a shortage of some medicines due to Brexit.  And incidentally a massive shortage of dentists due to most of the EU ones who used to work here having gone elsewhere.  I bought my office building when I set up my own business in the 1980s and once the loan was paid off it was meant to be my pension fund - had a firm of dentists leasing it but they moved to bigger premises and it's proving almost impossible to find a new tenant despite the fact that this area is crying out for more dentists.  Similar story for a lot of other things, both goods and businesses. But hey, it's all good because a bunch of rich folk can dodge paying tax.