The news thread - Page 183 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

That's a very good point, but unfortunately we will pay the consequences either way. 

We really won't.

As horrific as what is happening in Israel/Palestine, it simply won't affect 99% of us in any tangible way.

There might be some terrorist attack in Paris or somewhere, that will be it. 

On 10/14/2023 at 11:45 AM, exile said:

Looks as if the Australian indigenous voice cause is heading for defeat, i.e. a no vote in referendum.

Disappointing but not surprising. For all its affable, easy-going, hail-fellow-well-met image, Australia is actually quite a bigoted country.

Indigenous Australians must rank amongst some of the most oppressed communities in the world (certainly the "western" world), yet there will be people marching in support of Palestine yesterday or for BLM a couple of years ago who'd happily move to Australia in a heartbeat.

38 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Disappointing but not surprising. For all its affable, easy-going, hail-fellow-well-met image, Australia is actually quite a bigoted country.

Indigenous Australians must rank amongst some of the most oppressed communities in the world (certainly the "western" world), yet there will be people marching in support of Palestine yesterday or for BLM a couple of years ago who'd happily move to Australia in a heartbeat.

Bit more complicated than that surely 

On 10/14/2023 at 1:23 PM, RDFH64 said:

The attack by Hamas on Israel was absolutely disgusting but so is the indiscriminate bombing of Gaza, I find it strange/unbelievable that Israel didn’t have any intel prior to the Hamas attack. The attack suits an ultra right wing Israeli government during a time when there are large demonstrations against some of the law changes/policies they are trying to force through, my suspicion is the government knew of the attack but let it happen so they could play the victim and retaliate which would make them look strong to the Israeli public and give them extra reasons to force their policies through into law. Maybe I’m just a suspicious cynical dafty 🤔

The fact that one side can even control access to electricity etc for the other shows it's not exactly a fair fight, for lack of a better phrase. It's hardly a case of one honourable victim and so through centuries of wars across the world we haven't learnt that perhaps trying to understand motives/perspective on both sides could reduce suffering for all. They talk about worrying about this escalating in the same breath as providing weapons/support to one side.

Why do right wing govts have a leaning towards provocation in order to justify them clamping down on some way?? Maybe that's why Priti Patel was over there for those secret meetings - looking for tips. 

Maybe it's time for a Suspicious Cynical Dafty party to lead us! 

Just now, aaid said:

To be fair to Kumnio, he is only going on the basis of the last 80 years of history with regards to the Middle East and it’s impact on the West. 

I don't know how to take him as he is always on the wind up with me. To be fair, I hope he is correct though....  Without the Paris attack..👊

The home of the Murdoch media empire decided that the Abo’s haven’t been hard done by . The 96% non indigenous decided with all the media might that old Rupert has honed for decades that it would be Orwellian to allow the First Nation folk a Voice. 
it would not help them help themselves. 
but some of us don’t understand that these alki , violent types cannot be helped by having rights to their ancestors land and reparations for alleged crimes by some age old colonial types.

next

Piper Laurie passes away aged 91

A total bombshell in her day

From an Alcoholic in The Hustler, Mel Gibson's MILF employer in Tim and Carrie's Mum

piper.jpg

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Piper Laurie passes away aged 91

A total bombshell in her day

From an Alcoholic in The Hustler, Mel Gibson's MILF employer in Tim and Carrie's Mum

piper.jpg

Was also brilliant as Catherine Martel in Twin Peaks. 

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Suzanne Somers also passed away yesterday aged 76 after fighting cancer for some time

image.png.995b09f974d4fb6e7b704ec756a39c56.png

urnpublicidap.org2b97c5362eab6709f594b30280dc79c3Obit-Suzanne_Somers_48505.thumb.webp.d4065483779ecaa495e0c7ad0331e4cc.webp

Her finest moment was clearly starring alongside Ian McShane as a washed up alcoholic football star and Paul Nicholas as pop star cum football chairman in Yesterdays Hero, no prizes for guessing who they were based on.   Sequences of this were filmed at York Road and the old Ivy Leaf Club in Maidenhead. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Steve Bell sacked by the Guardian

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67122609

Got sacked for an alleged anti Semitic cartoon. He's published quite a lot of nasty anti-Scottish stuff over the years so I'm not shedding too many tears.

Indeed he has. And the response has been generally, prickly Jocks, get a sense of humour.

While his cartoons might be skilful, the newspapers themselves choose whether to run them. If the cartoons correspond to the newspaper's prejudice, they get printed. I mean a cartoonist private citrizen can say/draw what he likes; if a London newspaper chooses to insult its Scottish readership it says more about the newspaper really. The irony is they generally have no problems reproducing national stereotypes for other nations, including (for these purposes) Scotland as an 'other' nation, except in their politics they won't recognise Scotland's right as a nation - just the right to be 'othered'.

28 minutes ago, exile said:

Indeed he has. And the response has been generally, prickly Jocks, get a sense of humour.

While his cartoons might be skilful, the newspapers themselves choose whether to run them. If the cartoons correspond to the newspaper's prejudice, they get printed. I mean a cartoonist private citrizen can say/draw what he likes; if a London newspaper chooses to insult its Scottish readership it says more about the newspaper really. The irony is they generally have no problems reproducing national stereotypes for other nations, including (for these purposes) Scotland as an 'other' nation, except in their politics they won't recognise Scotland's right as a nation - just the right to be 'othered'.

You just have to know who cannot be criticised. Most of us know what that is .

just watching a repeat Motorway cop episode. When you see the ones testing for coke then update says no further action you just know they’re one of them . On the pay roll , no laws .

On 10/15/2023 at 12:03 PM, kumnio said:

We really won't.

As horrific as what is happening in Israel/Palestine, it simply won't affect 99% of us in any tangible way.

There might be some terrorist attack in Paris or somewhere, that will be it. 

Brussels was a close second to Paris.

Looks like some brain dead religious cunt has started this shit again. 

47 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Brussels was a close second to Paris.

Looks like some brain dead religious cunt has started this shit again. 

Game abandoned and stadium on lock-down. Lots of videos on social media. The guy is still at large and is apparently heading to the stadium. 

11 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Game abandoned and stadium on lock-down. Lots of videos on social media. The guy is still at large and is apparently heading to the stadium. 

Two of his speeches are available on twitter. He comes across as a typical uneducated idiot, I doubt he can even understand half the words in his daft wee book.

I almost wish his fairytale religion existed, and that after he gets the bullet coming to him, he lives eternity in the most horrid way possible. This shite will never end, its now just a matter of time before the next idiot does something pathetic.

14 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

2 Swedish nationals reported as being shot dead, Belgium v Sweden match tonight, I assuming they were there for the match, I’m going through Charleroi airport tomorrow lunchtime.