Che Adams - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams

wanderer

8 hours ago, ProudScot said:

McTominay did the same which the anti Adams brigade are choosing to forget. 

Chalk and cheese:

As a youth, Scott McTominay attended training camps with the Scottish youth sides.

McTominay was approached by Malky Mackay in November 2017, but Mackay was told that McTominay was focussing on cementing a first team place (He hadn't started an EPL match by that point.) 

In March 2020 he accepted his first call up, by that point he had started several matches, home and abroad.

Scott McTominay never turned us down. He was waiting to cement a first team place at Manchester United. I don't, for an instant, think he was deliberating between us and England. He was always going to choose us.

Che Adams, however, turned how an initial approach in November (when he was a £10m rated Birmingham striker). He turned down three approaches from 3 different Scotland managers, for four years. 

McTominay waited four months, Adams waited four years.

I doubt Adams had ever watched a Scotland match or even visited Scotland 

So yeah, McTominay DIDN'T do the same thing.

11 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

Just out of interest do any of the posters who are claiming Adams turned us down 3 times have any direct quotes of this actually being the case?

Clarke mentioned McLeish approaching him once and him saying he wasn’t ready to commit.

Come on take your English mercenary specs off eh? Malky Mackay has stated in the press he asked and got turned down. Clarke states McLeish asked and got turned down and Clarke asked once. He never said yes and in my eyes that is a rejection. Now can you give me any evidence he has ever set foot in Scotland before? If not we better make sure the SFA send him down a roadmap so he can find his way.

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

McTominay did the same which the anti Adams brigade are choosing to forget. 

(Double posting as I got McTominay's year wrong. He first played for Scotland in March 2018, not 2020)

Chalk and cheese:

As a youth, Scott McTominay attended training camps with the Scottish youth sides.

McTominay was approached by Malky Mackay in November 2017, but Mackay was told that McTominay was focussing on cementing a first team place (He hadn't started an EPL match by that point.) 

In March 2018 he accepted his first call up, by that point he had started several matches, home and abroad.

Scott McTominay never turned us down. He was waiting to cement a first team place at Manchester United. I don't, for an instant, think he was deliberating between us and England. He was always going to choose us.

Che Adams, however, turned how an initial approach in November (when he was a £10m rated Birmingham striker). He turned down three approaches from 3 different Scotland managers, for four years. 

McTominay waited four months, Adams waited four years.

I doubt Adams had ever watched a Scotland match or even visited Scotland 

So yeah, McTominay DIDN'T do the same thing.

Edited by Taylor1996

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Come on take your English mercenary specs off eh? Malky Mackay has stated in the press he asked and got turned down. Clarke states McLeish asked and got turned down and Clarke asked once. He never said yes and in my eyes that is a rejection. Now can you give me any evidence he has ever set foot in Scotland before? If not we better make sure the SFA send him down a roadmap so he can find his way.

I’m hardly looking at it through English mercenary specs, I just think the guy is perhaps getting a bit of a hard time, happy to be proven wrong if indeed he has turned us down 3 times but the only evidence I’m aware of was McLeish approaching him a few years back. 

I will reserve judgement until I’ve seen him play. If he shows the passion and pride that an international player representing their country should always display on the pitch, that’s what matters to me.

He’s a distinct level up from what we currently have in my opinion.

Edited by SWMM82

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Does he have to score for us to sing it? 

I do like it though 

If so, we won't be singing it often.

In five seasons he's only scored more than seven goals in a season, once. Bearing in mind that he was in the Championship for three seasons.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fairs dos. It suits quite well seeing as its much renowned song for its rubbishness.

lol

It does. 

Or how about David Bowie's "Changes"

Che-che-che-che Adams
(Turns and scores a goal)
Che-che-che-che Adams

Not that I'm warming to the idea of him playing for us, though.

9 hours ago, Archiesdad said:

I see a West ham player has chosen to play for Jamaica after playing for England u20's. 

Wonder if the reggae boys message board is going overboard....

I doubt it, just like I doubt many Australia fans give a wombat's wank about Martin Boyle or Harry Souttar's Scotland youth caps.  Christ, even the mighty England have a player who represented the Republic of Ireland from youth level right up to the senior team, and as far as I am aware no one gives a damn about that.

Some of the mental gymnastics performed on here is something to behold though... :lol: 

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I doubt it, just like I doubt many Australia fans give a wombat's wank about Martin Boyle or Harry Souttar's Scotland youth caps.  Christ, even the mighty England have a player who represented the Republic of Ireland from youth level right up to the senior team, and as far as I am aware no one gives a damn about that.

Some of the mental gymnastics performed on here is something to behold though... :lol: 

I'd hazard a guess though that none of those were asked three times and turned it down three times then accepted with a major tournament on the horizon.

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

Aye but THREE TIMES MIN, Three TIMES 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

You didn't vote in the poll, so, apparently, you have no opinion on the matter.

At least the 27 people that voted have Courage of their convictions.

Aye,voting on a skewed poll shows courage🤣🤣🤣🤣

I saw Chris Wilder talk about him after they played Southampton. He said something along the lines of “He was a bit of a loose cannon when he was with us (at Sheffield Utd) but he’s turned himself round and become a very good player”.

If someone can go from being a loose cannon to a decent player they can go from being someone that didn’t want to commit to playing for Scotland at that time to someone that is happy to commit to the team now.

Some people grow up. I’ll support him if he plays for us then judge him fairly once I’ve seen him play a few games. Am I allowed to say this as I didn’t vote in the poll? :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

. I’ll support him if he plays for us

I stated the same but don't expect me to laud him or proclaim his dedication and Scottishness. Such is the way with international football you can change allegiance, turn a country down multiple times (in this case) and still have no come back.

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

I don’t think it’s mental gymnastics, more it just depends on the particular player and the context of their change / decision. 

Take Rice and Grealish, represented Ireland youth and u21’s as you say but it’s probably fair to say they always wanted to represent England and switched when offered the chance.  

Adams probably never dreamed of playing for Scotland and is only playing for us now because he’s not good enough for England. He might be a committed player and that’s fine, the rules are the rules. 

Call me daft, but I wouldn’t want too many guys like Adam in the team because it changes what international football is all about. 

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t think it’s mental gymnastics, more it just depends on the particular player and the context of their change / decision. 

Take Rice and Grealish, represented Ireland youth and u21’s as you say but it’s probably fair to say they always wanted to represent England and switched when offered the chance.  

Adams probably never dreamed of playing for Scotland and is only playing for us now because he’s not good enough for England. He might be a committed player and that’s fine, the rules are the rules. 

Call me daft, but I wouldn’t want too many guys like Adam in the team because it changes what international football is all about. 

It really is though. If it wasn't this silly "he turned us down three times" excuse it'd be something else.  I mind some people on here were raging when James Morrison first got called up because he apparently said - almost certainly in jest - that he didn't know where in Scotland Aberdeen was! 

You could say that about Grealish and Rice, but you could just as easily say they ditched RoI because the current Irish team is poor and they realised their chances of playing in international tournaments is far greater by opting to play for England, in which case it's England that's being used as the flag of convenience. Both scenarios are just assumptions though.

I love that when McTom was asked originally its described as "he wanted to concentrate on his club career first" but when Adams got asked and replied the same way its been described as him telling is to fuck off.

Ive no doubt in my mind that Adams first choice international team would be England however that then doesnt equate to him not wanting to play for Scotland, not being proud to play for Scotland or not willing to give 100% for Scotland.

I wanted to play for Scotland and Airdrie when I was young. I wasnt good enough so I played for other teams. Still gave 100% for them.