Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not sure I agree - Patterson, Hendry, Hanley, McKenna Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong, McTominay, Fraser, Forrest and Dykes can all shift, if required. 

It won't matter much because Clarke isn't too bothered about having out and out wingers in his team, but take Fraser and Forrest out (neither of whom will be fully fit) and we have some quick defenders, but not much pace going forward. Fraser and Forrest give us that outlet, but presumably only one will start, if either do at all. Christie is pacey, too, I suppose. I'm not convinced that Dykes, Armstrong and McTominay are particularly speedy, relatively speaking. Quick enough, sure, but not pace merchants. Certainly wouldn't mark that down as being amongst their strengths, of which they have many. 

Certainly, he'll be looking to the fullbacks for width (the speed of our centre halves will be good for defensive reasons, obviously, but fairly moot going forward), but no, we don't have much pace in the attack. Dykes, Adams and Nisbet are not blessed with blistering speed. 

Not a huge issue and not many obvious, lightning fast players who aren't included that should have been, but it's undoubtedly a feature lacking in the attack outwith two players who aren't, y'know, fit. Maybe three, if we count Christie. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Delighted to see that Clarke has made positive selections with the future in mind. Apologies for doubting him.

I wrote down (and posted it here) what I thought and hoped the squad would be and there are only two differences with Taylor and Nisbet in replacing McLean and Griffiths.

Glad to see Clarke has included Gilmour,Patterson and Turnbull.All young guys with real talent and a hunger to prove themselves.On the other hand,can't help but be dissapointed that Griffiths didn't make it.I fully understand the reasons regarding fitness and lack of games,but can't help thinking he has something in the locker that not many of our players have.Thought he might have sneaked in as a kinda wild card.Apart from that and maybe Gauld,a pretty good squad.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Delighted to see that Clarke has made positive selections with the future in mind. Apologies for doubting him.

I wrote down (and posted it here) what I thought and hoped the squad would be and there are only two differences with Taylor and Nisbet in replacing McLean and Griffiths.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Squad details:-

Average Age = 26.84 years per player

Average Caps per player = 17.23

Average Goals per outfield player = 1.43

EPL Clubs = 10 players

Championship Clubs = 4 players

SPL Clubs = 10 player

Scottish Championship = 1 player

Overseas Players = 1

i wonder how our squad will compare with other countries regarding average age.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Be around midway I think. Not the oldest and not the youngest.

clarkes calling up of patterson, gilmour and turnbull will bring it down a fair bit. just goes to show clarke is giving youth a chance instead of older experienced players.

Pleased with the squad. Only gripe would be Taylor - Clarke has gone for Tierney as CB so can understand a backup LB required, but if Robertson gets injured you’re not telling me Taylor is going to start? I would have gambled on taking 9 defenders (plus McTominay) and adding Griffiths. 

Getting excited now.

4 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Cant remember being this happy with a squad in a long long time.

Easily the best squad in the last 23 years. 

This squad has put to bed any doubts I had over Clarke. Turnbull, Gilmour and Patterson being included show that, not only is he willing to give youth a chance, he is also focusing on the best players available over loyalty. Brilliant!!

I really couldn't be happier about this selection. Other than maybe Gordon, almost every player will be playing together for the next 3 or 4 years. So, no matter what happens in this tournament, I think we'll be well placed for future internationals. 

I'm absolutely gutted for Griffiths and Gauld. But I completely understand why neither were chosen. I feel sorry for Palmer and Considine, but their ommission shows Clarke went for quality over loyalty. 

5 hours ago, AndyDD said:

It won't matter much because Clarke isn't too bothered about having out and out wingers in his team, but take Fraser and Forrest out (neither of whom will be fully fit) and we have some quick defenders, but not much pace going forward. Fraser and Forrest give us that outlet, but presumably only one will start, if either do at all. Christie is pacey, too, I suppose. I'm not convinced that Dykes, Armstrong and McTominay are particularly speedy, relatively speaking. Quick enough, sure, but not pace merchants. Certainly wouldn't mark that down as being amongst their strengths, of which they have many. 

Certainly, he'll be looking to the fullbacks for width (the speed of our centre halves will be good for defensive reasons, obviously, but fairly moot going forward), but no, we don't have much pace in the attack. Dykes, Adams and Nisbet are not blessed with blistering speed. 

Not a huge issue and not many obvious, lightning fast players who aren't included that should have been, but it's undoubtedly a feature lacking in the attack outwith two players who aren't, y'know, fit. Maybe three, if we count Christie. 

Scott McTominay can run 5k in under 16 minutes! He’s fast as fuck!

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Take out the goalkeepers and it would drop a fair bit!  We’d struggle without one right enough. 

Oldest outfield player is Declan Gallagher at 30. Must be one of the youngest squads going to the Euros not including keepers. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Oldest outfield player is Declan Gallagher at 30. Must be one of the youngest squads going to the Euros not including keepers. 

Second oldest James Forrest? They both look about 5 years younger as well.