Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

17 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, I'm fine with not seeing the final 11 before the tournament anyway. You don't want to give too much away.

I'd love to see a midfield duo of McTominay and Gilmour against Luxembourg. It could be a delicious taster of the future.

In fact, stick Patterson and Turnbull in as well from the start. With friendlies being rarer these days, we should take the opportunity to try out new players.

i would rather try out a mctominay gilmour pairing against the netherlands. if its tried against luxembourg and is successful ppl will just put that down to luxembourg being shite whereas a good performance against the netherlands might tempt clarke to start a mctominay gilmour pairing in the euro games.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

i would rather try out a mctominay gilmour pairing against the netherlands. if its tried against luxembourg and is successful ppl will just put that down to luxembourg being shite whereas a good performance against the netherlands might tempt clarke to start a mctominay gilmour pairing in the euro games.

Gilmour and Mctominay won’t feature against the Netherlands. We are a bit light in the middle of the park tonight. Could potentially see Turnbull. 

First XI (Version 184676546784677532...1)

Marshall 

Hendry

Cooper        Tierney 

O'Donnell                         Robertson 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

Hanley had a chance to stake a claim against Luxembourg... what did he do? Almost score an og.

I'm not sold on Patterson. He's behind Fraser, Forrest and O'Donnell for me. He still looks raw but it's good experience for him.

Guest Scot1
15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

Hendry

Cooper        Tierney 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

Hanley had a chance to stake a claim against Luxembourg... what did he do? Almost score an og.

I'm not sold on Patterson. He's behind Fraser, Forrest and O'Donnell for me. He still looks raw but it's good experience for him.

Much the same except Fraser instead of Christie

And I’d go with Gallagher and Hendry alongside Tierney. But whatever combination of centre backs Clarke goes with I’d be happy, they’ve all performed decently 

28 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

Hendry

Cooper        Tierney 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

We now have so many positions with alternatives that we'd be happy with. 

For example, I'd go with Fraser over Christie, but I'm content with both. Dykes over Adams, but there is very little in it. Same goes for CB and RCB. Pick any combination and I'd be hard pushed to disagree.

Patterson's time will come. Playing him over O'Donnell is maybe slightly too risky, though it may pay off. But Gilmour over McGregor is no risk, in my opinion. Though I would also be fine with Armstrong or Turnbull playing in midfield as well.

So many options!

36 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

Hendry

Cooper        Tierney 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

I thought Hanly played well. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I thought Hanly played well. 

In retrospect, at least he didn't give away any fouls, unlike Hendry.

I think we can always expect a certain number of mistakes from our centerbacks. That's pretty much the reason why we play with a three, so that the other two can cover for the one who makes an error.

It's a coin toss between Hendry and Hanley at this point.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

We now have so many positions with alternatives that we'd be happy with. 

For example, I'd go with Fraser over Christie, but I'm content with both. Dykes over Adams, but there is very little in it. Same goes for CB and RCB. Pick any combination and I'd be hard pushed to disagree.

Patterson's time will come. Playing him over O'Donnell is maybe slightly too risky, though it may pay off. But Gilmour over McGregor is no risk, in my opinion. Though I would also be fine with Armstrong or Turnbull playing in midfield as well.

So many options!

Totally. The amount we have now, as opposed to about a year or so ago, is basically night and day. 

We're actually at a stage where we're discussing who to leave out, that to me is impressive progression in such a relatively short space of time.

Steve Clarke deserves a lot of credit. Our problems were in defence (we moved to a three) and up front (we play with a false 9) and he's sorted them and now we genuinely look like a cohesive and structured unit.

I'm buzzing for the start of the Euros! Just a week for our first match. Then it's off to our three points at Wembley. ;)

My team:

Marshall

Hendry      Hanley       Tierney 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

Edited by bigfingers

Marshall

Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson                                 Robertson

Gilmour McTominay McGinn

Dykes   Adams

I'd start with this side:-

Marshall

Hendry    Cooper    Tierney

O'Donnell                                             Robertson

McTominay   McGinn   Gilmour

Dykes    Fraser      

The side Clarke will go for:-

Marshall

Hendry      Hanley       Tierney

O 'Donnell                                                Robertson

McGinn  Mctominay  McGregor

Dykes      Christie

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten Armstrong’s man of the match v the Netherlands. 

I don't think anyone has, it's just that McGinn and McTominay are undroppable. Personally, I'd play Gilmour in centre mid, but I also wouldn't be against Armstrong playing deeper in midfield if Gilmour isn't deemed ready.

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Marshall
Patterson
Hendry
Hanley
Tierney
Robertson
McTominay
Gilmour
Armstrong
Dykes
McGinn

Fraser to come on. 

I'd be more than happy to see that team. It's so bloody hard to choose though.

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten Armstrong’s man of the match v the Netherlands. 

Very fair point.

On these two games evidence you'd start with Armstrong for sure. But then you have to factor in other things like: Will Clarke leave out McGregor, O'Donnell or McTominay? Answer would be no so to fit Armstrong in would mean maybe leaving McGinn out which is a big no no as he is our main goal threat. It is at times like this where you yearn for the old 4-4-2 as it opens up an extra midfield berth.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Very fair point.

On these two games evidence you'd start with Armstrong for sure. But then you have to factor in other things like: Will Clarke leave out McGregor, O'Donnell or McTominay? Answer would be no so to fit Armstrong in would mean maybe leaving McGinn out which is a big no no as he is our main goal threat. It is at times like this where you yearn for the old 4-4-2 as it opens up an extra midfield berth.

It's also why I'm one of the people against playing both Dykes and Adams together i.e 2 strikers. We say midfield is our strongest area, yet we sometimes play with only 3 midfielders. Which means if even 1 of them has an off day, the midfield just gets totally isolated and we become overly reliant on our fullbacks.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

It's also why I'm one of the people against playing both Dykes and Adams together i.e 2 strikers. We say midfield is our strongest area, yet we sometimes play with only 3 midfielders. Which means if even 1 of them has an off day, the midfield just gets totally isolated and we become overly reliant on our fullbacks.

I think maybe McGinn was a bit hindered by having less space in front of him with the two strikers ahead. I favour just Dykes, with McGinn in a kind of wrecking-ball, free role off him and supplementing midfield. This would allow Armstrong to play the same left centre midfield role he played against the Netherlands with McTominay on the other side where he’s probably more comfortable. 

The full backs (and outside centre backs) would then need to do their thing. The extra man in midfield justifies Patterson getting the nod to provide an attacking threat. 

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

No I wouldn't start with Dykes and Adams up front either in the Euros. It is the strike partnership against lesser sides when we can afford to be a bit more attacking and I think Clarke sees it that way too.