Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

Would Nathan Patterson be an option at RCB?

Tierney looks great at LCB and can overlap and drive forward, but I do not see an option for that at RCB. Hendry, Gallagher and Hanley do not look comfortable bringing the ball out that far, and makes us slightly lopsided.

Obviously McTominay was originally in Clarke's mind for this role, but has had to move into CM.

I've not seen enough of Patterson, but could this be a solution?

2 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Tierney looks great at LCB and can overlap and drive forward, but I do not see an option for that at RCB. Hendry, Gallagher and Hanley do not look comfortable bringing the ball out that far, and makes us slightly lopsided.

Obviously McTominay was originally in Clarke's mind for this role, but has had to move into CM.

I would think O’Donnell would be more likely given his physique. Patterson still has some filling out to do for centre half consideration. 

Hendry is fine bringing it out, but I do worry about communication in the box. 

5 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

No. Never played there for Rangers and we have plenty of cover there in any case. Where he has played is right wing - did that a couple of times for U21s. Hendry is renowned in Belgium for footballing his way out of trouble.

What I'd like to see:

Gordon

O'Donnell, Hendry, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson

McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour

Christie, Dykes

What I think we'll get:

Marshall

O'Donnell, McTominay, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson

McGregor, Fleck, McGinn

Forrest, Adams

The thought of a McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour midfield has me drooling, but it looks like McGregor is undroppable no matter how often he's MIA.

Guest Scot1

I’d go 4-3-3 against the Czechs and Croatia, then back to 3/5 at the back against England.

Gordon

Patterson Gallagher Cooper Robbo

Mctominay.  Gilmour. Tierney

Fraser.     Dykes.     McGinn

i think that team will give the Czechs and Croatians problems

You could change a couple of players, Hanley for Gallagher, Forrest, Turnbull, Christie for Fraser etc

Guest Scot1

We know we don’t have the best Centre halves, but Cooper is playing for a decent Leeds team, Hanley will be back in the Premiership next season, Gallagher has always played well in a Scotland shirt. I think it’s time we started playing 4 at the back against some teams and allow our strengths in other areas of the pitch to become fully realised. 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

We know we don’t have the best Centre halves, but Cooper is playing for a decent Leeds team, Hanley will be back in the Premiership next season, Gallagher has always played well in a Scotland shirt. I think it’s time we started playing 4 at the back against some teams and allow our strengths in other areas of the pitch to become fully realised. 

Chripper implosion imminent. 

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Against England who have pace everywhere I’d go to a back 3/5. But I think we aren’t going to get the most out of this squad until we switch to a back 4, I’d personally go 4/3/3

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Against England who have pace everywhere I’d go to a back 3/5. But I think we aren’t going to get the most out of this squad until we switch to a back 4, I’d personally go 4/3/3

I don’t disagree but I know a man that will. 

Guest Scot1
4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

But just look at the team I’ve just posted as a 4/3/3 it looks real good doesn’t it. It looks good enough in midfield and upfront to perhaps compensate for our deficiencies at Centre Halve. At least against teams like the Czechs and Croatia. 
And now is not the time to be hesitant and to play safe. We have 2 home games against the Czechs and Croatia. We can win those games, I believe, we have the players, the squad, Go for it, play to our strengths, have a go.

My team

Any of the 3

CBs- Hendry, Cooper, Tierney 

Wing backs - Patterson and Robertson

Midfield  - mctominay mcginn gilmour

Upfront - Dykes Adams

I don't believe there's much between our keepers, it's our weakest spot IMO. Marshal was benched, mcglaughlin is always benched and Gordon played Scottish championship football. Meh 🤦🏻‍♂️

Paterson over Odonnell for me. Patterson is playing at a better team and has European experience. Would odonnell start for Rangers? It's tough on odonnell but I think Patterson should start

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

My team

Any of the 3

Upfront - Dykes Adams

I don't believe there's much between our keepers, it's our weakest spot IMO. Marshal was benched, mcglaughlin is always benched and Gordon played Scottish championship football. Meh 🤦🏻‍♂️

Paterson over Odonnell for me. Patterson is playing at a better team and has European experience. Would odonnell start for Rangers? It's tough on odonnell but I think Patterson should start

This would also be my team with McLaughlin in goals probably. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

This would also be my team with McLaughlin in goals probably. 

A bench warmer should only really be in the squad for back up. If Marshall doesn’t start then I’m pretty sure it will be Gordon. 

7 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I don’t know the time but I have watched pundits on match of the day showing him “turning on the burners” on a box to box run and leaving everyone for dead. He is fast.

I think there's more speed in the squad than they're getting credit for.

Guest Scot1

Guys we’re  good enough to go 4 at the back against the Czechs and Croatia at home if, and it’s with this proviso, he plays Tierney in midfield. Preferably with McTominay and Gilmour

Edited by Scot1

28 minutes ago, daviebee said:

What I'd like to see:

Gordon

O'Donnell, Hendry, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson

McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour

Christie, Dykes

What I think we'll get:

Marshall

O'Donnell, McTominay, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson

McGregor, Fleck, McGinn

Forrest, Adams

The thought of a McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour midfield has me drooling, but it looks like McGregor is undroppable no matter how often he's MIA.

Clarke has already said McTominay will play in midfield during the tournament. 

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My team

Any of the 3

Upfront - Dykes Adams

The only thing that would worry me is Patterson doesn’t play as a wingback for Rangers. He could certainly play there but it takes time to get used to it as it is actually more different than playing as a full back  than some people think.  We’ll find out in our warm up games what Clarke’s plan is. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The only thing that would worry me is Patterson doesn’t play as a wingback for Rangers. He could certainly play there but it takes time to get used to it as it is actually more different than playing as a full back  than some people think.  We’ll find out in our warm up games what Clarke’s plan is. 

The little I have seen of Patterson reminds me of Tierney, he wants to get forward and he's brimming with confidence. We have nothing to lose IMO

11 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm the same.

It'd be like not using a secret weapon. 

Good point, I don't think any of the opposition will expect Clarke to play the youngsters and that's part of the reason I'd play Patterson and Gilmour. Both are very capable and extremely confident, I don't think they will notice any pressure. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Good point, I don't think any of the opposition will expect Clarke to play the youngsters and that's part of the reason I'd play Patterson and Gilmour. Both are very capable and extremely confident, I don't think they will notice any pressure. 

Yep, me too.