Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

I'm quite pleased with this squad. A good mixture of experience and exciting young talents. Taylor is a bit of a 'meh' call-up but I suspect he's only in there for cover.

Disappointed Gauld didn't make it, especially as it doesn't sound like Fraser is fully fit, going by Steve Bruce's comments.

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I'm quite pleased with this squad. A good mixture of experience and exciting young talents. Taylor is a bit of a 'meh' call-up but I suspect he's only in there for cover.

Disappointed Gauld didn't make it, especially as it doesn't sound like Fraser is fully fit, going by Steve Bruce's comments.

I think Fraser will be assessed by the Scotland medics. It would be madness to believe a club manager. Since he’s already training now post-op there’s no reason why he can’t do a mini pre-season in time for the games. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’d have taken Gauld over Taylor. Tierney is only centre half because Robertson is at LWB. McKenna could play centre half if Tierney has to move if Robertson injured. 

I think that is the whole point of Taylor being there, that you effectively have to fill two positions if Robertson was to miss a game, its basically to avoid disrupting the back three, which Tierney is now part of.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

We've got some great players. Tierney, mcginn and Mctominay are brilliant. Gilour has the potential to pass them all. Turnbull and Patterson called up

Considine as much as I want to see him.there isn't going because we've got much better CBs now. 

We've got better options upfront with Dykes and Adams

All positives

I'm encouraged by this squad, there are players I'd like to see in and out but there will never be a squad to make everyone happy. 

Superb positive post & agree 100%

Clarke confirms Gauld just unlucky that he plays in a area where we are not short in players, and with the addition of Turnbull, you have McGinn and Armstrong there already.... just simply down to the area of the squad he would fit in to not being short of players.

Also felt like there was a subtle dig at Steve Bruce over the fitness of Fraser.

23 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think that is the whole point of Taylor being there, that you effectively have to fill two positions if Robertson was to miss a game, its basically to avoid disrupting the back three, which Tierney is now part of.

My point is if Robertson is out Tierney plays wing back. McKenna would play in the LCB role.

Clarke has hinted at the press conference the squad it is also picked to allow training (a general comment not about LWB). I guess he picks Taylor in the B team for that. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

My point is if Robertson is out Tierney plays wing back. McKenna would play in the LCB role.

Clarke has hinted at the press conference the squad it is also picked to allow training (a general comment not about LWB). I guess he picks Taylor in the B team for that. 

I think that role goes to Cooper being Leeds captain and an EPL player. Otherwise agree with you.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I think Gauld can only be down to not having  many/any injury concerns with the attacking options.

Problem has been defensive midfielders with Jack and McLean out, meaning that McTominay will move forwarded, so any cover we need to bring in must be like for like, not filling up another position (hence Fleck getting in to provide cover for that position, and Cooper in to allow for possibility of moving McT out of defence).

From the looks of the promo video for the squad, feels like Taylor and Fleck have been pretty much "on the fringes" of a call up or not, as there was a lot less pomp about their inclusion compared to everyone else.

Do you really see him as a DM? I always think he is more of an attacking midfielder. 

Really good squad and, the players missing through injury aside, our strongest players are all there. 

Yes, we could maybe have added a 4th striker, I'd have liked Gauld to be in there and we don't have much in the way of pace in the squad, but there are some quality players in there under a very good coach. 

Cannae fucking wait for this. Incredibly exciting. Going to hand out some right good hidings.

13 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Delighted with the squad. With Paterson and Forrest coming in we can tweak the formation a little if required.  Ryan Jack the only big loss IMO. 

Totally agree, we have options to change formation and different tools on the bench.  This is a great squad, maybe the best in over ten years....maybe I'm getting carried away.  :) 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

If god forbid Robertson sustains an injury, I'd be beyond amazed if Taylor comes in and Tierney stays at LCB. 

Tierney is one of the best LBs around, there is no chance we'd leave him at LCB and play a lesser LB, if Robertson got injured. 

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If god forbid Robertson sustains an injury, I'd be beyond amazed if Taylor comes in and Tierney stays at LCB. 

Tierney is one of the best LBs around, there is no chance we'd leave him at LCB and play a lesser LB, if Robertson got injured. 

I think we have to stop thinking along the lines of Tierney being a LB these days.

Clarke plays him at LCB, and Clarke has been saying for a while that he wants stability at the back, so if Robertson gets injured he has to think is it worth changing the back three to move KT to LB or can Taylor slot in at LB in cover for Robertson.

Sure will be other factors to consider, but ultimately Taylor is there for cover for Robertson, not Tirney (who is not their for covering Robertson either).

I think we would need to be unlucky with injuries for us to get that far though.

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think we have to stop thinking along the lines of Tierney being a LB these days.

Clarke plays him at LCB, and Clarke has been saying for a while that he wants stability at the back, so if Robertson gets injured he has to think is it worth changing the back three to move KT to LB or can Taylor slot in at LB in cover for Robertson.

Sure will be other factors to consider, but ultimately Taylor is there for cover for Robertson, not Tirney (who is not their for covering Robertson either).

I think we would need to be unlucky with injuries for us to get that far though.

Taylor is there so they can have a left-wing back in each team in training games. If Robertson is injured, there’s only one player replacing him.

16 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Gilmour literally cannot do any more. He should be in ahead of Forrest and Nisbet.

Guald I presume. Clarke seems to think he is competing with Armstrong and mcginn. I would have said Forrest,christie and fraser were his competiine. All three are good players and far more experienced. Guald to be honest has only had one season at a decent level. 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Guald I presume. Clarke seems to think he is competing with Armstrong and mcginn. I would have said Forrest,christie and fraser were his competiine. All three are good players and far more experienced. Guald to be honest has only had one season at a decent level. 

Yeah. I just said as much in the Gauld thread. (With McGinn, Armstrong, McGinn, Christie, Forrest and Fraser)

Half of those players have either been injured and/or off form.

It's a shame. Imagine if Gauld won the Primera Liga player of the year and he wasn't included in our squad. Which is possible.

Happy with that squad, only player that maybe deserves to be in is gauld but apart from that its pretty much spot on. I would like to see us start our strongest team against holland but with gilmour in the centre midfield. it would be a chance to see if gilmour could be something special for us and start games at this tournament.

Marshall 

Hendry

Hanley                     Tierney 

O'Donnell                               Robertson 

Gilmour           McTominay 

McGinn

Christie   Dykes

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian) David Marshall (Derby County) Jon McLaughlin (Rangers).

Defenders: Liam Cooper (Leeds United) Declan Gallagher (Motherwell) Grant Hanley (Norwich City) Jack Hendry (KV Oostende) *on loan from Celtic Scott McKenna (Nottingham Forrest) Stephen O’Donnell (Motherwell) Nathan Patterson (Rangers) Andy Robertson (Liverpool) Greg Taylor (Celtic) Kieran Tierney (Arsenal).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton) Ryan Christie (Celtic) John Fleck (Sheffield United) Billy Gilmour (Chelsea) John McGinn (Aston Villa) Callum McGregor (Celtic) Scott McTominay (Manchester United) David Turnbull (Celtic).

Forwards: Che Adams (Southampton) Lyndon Dykes (Queen’s Park Rangers) James Forrest (Celtic) Ryan Fraser (Newcastle United) Kevin Nisbet (Hibernian).