Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

They do tend to have some strange results during qualification. I seem to remember they got humped home and away by some minnows who had already been knocked out of the competition a few years back. :lol:

Their peak was certainly 2018 considering how many of their players were in their 30s in that competition.

Haven't checked but I have a memory of them already qualifed before final game of either 2016 or 18 group and they put out a largely second string team so would certainly rather play them 3rd than 1st in the group matches.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Yeah, I don't understand that mentality about Israel. It's not like Scotland fans haven't seen them play recently. But for some reason folk just can't seem to accept that Israel can be a reasonable side. We've lost to them by one goal, beat them by one goal and drew with them twice. They are pretty much on a par with us based on recent results. 

Correct. The last time we played them it took extra time and penalties before we beat them. The last time we played them in Israel they ran us ragged; the final 2-1 scoreline flattered us. And last month they went to Slovakia and put 3 goals past then. We couldn't even score once there on Sunday.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Correct. The last time we played them it took extra time and penalties before we beat them. The last time we played them in Israel they ran us ragged; the final 2-1 scoreline flattered us. And last month they went to Slovakia and put 3 goals past then. We couldn't even score once there on Sunday.

If we could have borrowed one of their strikers for the day we might have won 6 - 1.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You seem to have managed to erase it OK. Have you forgotten that he got us to the playoff in the first place?

A shaved monkey could have taken charge at that time and won that group.

I know we have made heavy weather of Israel in what seems like the 47 times we’ve played them in the last couple of years and but they were ranked 95th in the world (or whatever it was at the time) for a reason. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I know we have made heavy weather of Israel in what seems like the 47 times we’ve played them in the last couple of years and but they were ranked 95th in the world (or whatever it was at the time) for a reason. 

Like I said on another thread it is perfectly understandable why/how we struggle against Israel. They are well-organised and play to a settled defensive system where they pack their defence and they counter-attack occasionally with pace. We are not a prolific goalscoring side so its no surprise we struggle to break them down.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said on another thread it is perfectly understandable why/how we struggle against Israel. They are well-organised and play to a settled defensive system where they pack their defence and they counter-attack occasionally with pace. We are not a prolific goalscoring side so its no surprise we struggle to break them down.

Absolutely but that doesn’t make them a good team. They’ve got a couple of good players and to be fair to them they have had some decent results recently but they are very inconsistent. They beat Austria in their last qualifying group but also lost to North Macedonia and finished second bottom of their group. 

We used to struggle against the Faroes and generally struggle against Georgia and teams of that standard as well but they aren’t very good either. 

We should have beaten Israel in September but the playoff semi was awful. Hopefully tomorrow night will be a good performance. I would be happy if we got promoted and Israel were relegated. At least we wouldn’t get them in our Nations League group again for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely but that doesn’t make them a good team. They’ve got a couple of good players and to be fair to them they have had some decent results recently but they are very inconsistent. They beat Austria in their last qualifying group but also lost to North Macedonia and finished second bottom of their group. 

We used to struggle against the Faroes and generally struggle against Georgia and teams of that standard as well but they aren’t very good either. 

We should have beaten Israel in September but the playoff semi was awful. Hopefully tomorrow night will be a good performance. I would be happy if we got promoted and Israel were relegated. At least we wouldn’t get them in our Nations League group again for a while. 

No my point is they are an awkward team and awkward teams come sometimes be harder to beat than the better teams.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No my point is they are an awkward team and awkward teams come sometimes be harder to beat than the better teams.

Yeah, sorry I wasn’t disagreeing with you it was more the posts I’ve seen that are stating that Israel are a good team. They aren’t. Not that I think we have a divine right to beat them but if we play at our best then we should win tomorrow.

I am always more confident going into games against team that are similar to our level (Ireland, Serbia, Slovakia etc.) than teams we are expected to beat (apart from the proper minnows). We have never been good at breaking teams down and we are always likely to lose a goal even against the likes of Gibraltar and Malta. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

" We should have beaten Israel in September".

I think you are a lone voice . My recollection and that of many others was that we were extremely lucky to get a point.

On upside I see Dabbur is out tomorrow.

1 hour ago, marinello said:

" We should have beaten Israel in September".

I think you are a lone voice . My recollection and that of many others was that we were extremely lucky to get a point.

On upside I see Dabbur is out tomorrow.

I’m hardly a lone voice but yeah there are plenty of doom merchants that think we should have lost 1-3 or something but if you’re 1-0 up at home with less than 20 minutes to go and you’re fairly comfortable then you should be winning that game. 

We certainly could also have lost it but we should have seen it out especially since we were the architects of our own downfall with sloppy defending for their goal. 

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

In order to win that group McLeish had to beat Israel. That's something Clarke has tried, and failed, to do twice. He hasn't had a shave for a wee while, right enough. ;)

If we don't beat Israel tonight then Clarke still hasn't achieved any more than McLeish did.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

In order to win that group McLeish had to beat Israel. That's something Clarke has tried, and failed, to do twice. He hasn't had a shave for a wee while, right enough. ;)

If we don't beat Israel tonight then Clarke still hasn't achieved any more than McLeish did.

And you said my comment the other day was daft. 🤦‍♂️

You realise we qualified for for a major tournament last week don’t you? Which manager was in charge for that again?

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

And you said my comment the other day was daft. 🤦‍♂️

You realise we qualified for for a major tournament last week don’t you? Which manager was in charge for that again?

The only reason he got that chance was because McLeish got us to the playoff in the first place. We will never know whether a McLeish led team would also have qualified or not. 

I really hope we win tonight then I can start to believe that we are progressing. This game tonight is so important in so many ways. Tonight's game is more important that last weeks playoff.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The only reason he got that chance was because McLeish got us to the playoff in the first place. We will never know whether a McLeish led team would also have qualified or not. 

I really hope we win tonight then I can start to believe that we are progressing. This game tonight is so important in so many ways. Tonight's game is more important that last weeks playoff.

I have to disagree with your last point there. 

Last week was much more important, 

However tonights game is much more important than Sundays game. ( losing it, made it even more so) 

Staying in B League would not be the end of the world, NOT qualifying for a Hampden based Euros would have been