Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020/21 squad discussion/general chat.

Tartan Chris

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No that would be an awful misuse of their talents when O'Donnell would and does a far better job there. Forrest has been tried there and looked awful. Fraservhas already shown he links up very well with Dykes.

When was forrest tried at rwb and was this under Clarke?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Scotland 1-1 Israel: Steve Clarke's side held in Nations League opener - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53942242

Ok fair doos. Not sure where forrest fits in then, he will defo be in the squad but wingers are not going to get much chance in this system. I would happy give fraser a chance in the rwb position in a friendly. He might turn out to be excellent there under Clarke then put christie up front with Dykes. Allows us to play both fraser and christie unless christie drops back into midfield at the expense of  Mcginn, Jack or mcgregor. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ok fair doos. Not sure where forrest fits in then, he will defo be in the squad but wingers are not going to get much chance in this system. I would happy give fraser a chance in the rwb position in a friendly. He might turn out to be excellent there under Clarke then put christie up front with Dykes. Allows us to play both fraser and christie unless christie drops back into midfield at the expense of  Mcginn, Jack or mcgregor. 

No Fraser's spot is up top linking up with Clarke. He has already shown that. Forrest can be a potential back up in that role.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So where does christie play?

Unfortunately, sometimes you cannot fit all your best players into the side. No point trying to shoe-horn them in as it ruins the balance/shape of the side but does leave you with a strong bench. Christie or Fraser vying for spot alongside Dykes. Forrest third in pecking order or perhaps used should McGinn be injured.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In fairness I wouldn’t rule anything out. I don’t think many people would have agreed with McTominay as a central defender a few months ago. 

Clarke is the manager and it’s up to him where these guys play. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Unfortunately, sometimes you cannot fit all your best players into the side. No point trying to shoe-horn them in as it ruins the balance/shape of the side but does leave you with a strong bench. Christie or Fraser vying for spot alongside Dykes. Forrest third in pecking order or perhaps used should McGinn be injured.

Not sure tbh, i would like christie to start. I would be happy to play a midfield of Mcginn, mcgregor and christie with fraser up top with Dykes. I would also be happy for Clarke to experiment with fraser at rwb in a friendly. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

In fairness I wouldn’t rule anything out. I don’t think many people would have agreed with McTominay as a central defender a few months ago. 

Clarke is the manager and it’s up to him where these guys play. 

Yeh theres no harm in trying fraser at rwb in a friendly. He's got pace and excellent delivery of crosses that could be useful there. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh theres no harm in trying fraser at rwb in a friendly. He's got pace and excellent delivery of crosses that could be useful there. 

Which friendly are you referring to though?

We don’t play many friendlies these days and I can almost guarantee you Fraser won’t turn up to any that we do play. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Which friendly are you referring to though?

We don’t play many friendlies these days and I can almost guarantee you Fraser won’t turn up to any that we do play. 

Is there not going to be friendlies before the tournament. We are finishing the nations league over the next two games so surely a new nations league isn't starting up before the tournament. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is there not going to be friendlies before the tournament. We are finishing the nations league over the next two games so surely a new nations league isn't starting up before the tournament. 

World Cup qualifiers will be starting in March. There will likely be pre Euros warm ups in May but is that really the time to experiment?

Just now, Texas Pete said:

World Cup qualifiers will be starting in March. There will likely be pre Euros warm ups in May but is that really the time to experiment?

Pre euro warm ups. Is that friendlies. If it is then yes, it's a good chance for Clarke to test any ideas before the big tournament 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Pre euro warm ups. Is that friendlies. If it is then yes, it's a good chance for Clarke to test any ideas before the big tournament 

Maybe but I would guess Clarke would have his squad/formation in mind before then. I would be shocked if he would do something drastic like start Fraser as a wing back 2 weeks before we played Czech Republic. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe but I would guess Clarke would have his squad/formation in mind before then. I would be shocked if he would do something drastic like start Fraser as a wing back 2 weeks before we played Czech Republic. 

Not sure tbh but if he thought he could play well there then it is worth a try. We know o donnell plays OK there but theres always a chance he gets injured or suspended and I don't really rate Palmer. 

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure tbh but if he thought he could play well there then it is worth a try. We know o donnell plays OK there but theres always a chance he gets injured or suspended and I don't really rate Palmer. 

It’s up to Clarke I suppose but if he was going to play Fraser as a wing back he would likely have done it already. 

I was initially critical of Clarke‘s use of McTominay in back 3 believing it was a waste of his talent and he still has a good bit to learn as a defender. However, he brings height and most of all his superb passes get the ball quickly  out of defence and up to Dykes who holds it up really well so I think the back 3 is here to stay. Gallagher has to start and we have Cooper, McKenna and yes, Considine too as options.
tierney has done nothing wrong at back but I worry about his lack of stature when defending high balls. Nevertheless, SC has managed to get KT and Robbo in same team so fair play. 

Clarke has also said he wants us to be able to play more than one way so I think we will perhaps see different formation against different strength of opposition. We have the players to do that with our strength in midfield players. 
Christie has to start for me as he ids such a threat. I really like Fraser and Griff but they both appear to have chronic fitness issues. 
Armstrong is another really good player and Fleck will be in squad too and I also like him. Very healthy to have all these options.

he has shown little but I would persevere with McBurnie as back up toDykes. Remember Griff desperately needing a goal then getting it ? This is just my gut though but I hope the lad gets our support as part of a very decent squad.

very happy. 

1 hour ago, Jacques Hunt said:

he has shown little but I would persevere with McBurnie as back up toDykes. Remember Griff desperately needing a goal then getting it ? This is just my gut though but I hope the lad gets our support as part of a very decent squad

I agree on McBurnie (although I'd certainly have Griff on ahead of him if available).

He's been frustratingly ineffective in his various appearances, but to his credit he showed some guts by stepping up to convert the 4th penalty. Can you imagine the pelters he'd have got if he missed it and that was us done? With the way things had been going for him it would have been easy for him to hide there. It shows to me that he has the self confidence needed to come good yet.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure tbh, i would like christie to start. I would be happy to play a midfield of Mcginn, mcgregor and christie with fraser up top with Dykes. I would also be happy for Clarke to experiment with fraser at rwb in a friendly. 

So no Ryan Jack then?  I don;t think Clarke will agree with you there.  He is steady as a rock and will be one of first ones on team sheet.

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think COVID will still have a pretty big say in that. It would be great if we could get back to full stadiums by then but I have my doubts.

I really doubt it will be 100% capacity next summer. They were talking about a third of capacity before any talk was squashed at start of October.

Have to hope for half full stadiums I think if a vaccine has been rolled out to reasonable amount of U.K population by June but that's far from certain. Would be 25k at Hampden and 45k at Wembley which is better than nothing.

How many tickets was there for the WCQ match at Wembley in 2016, probably looking at similar travelling allocation.

Edited by Tartan Chris

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Good result tomorrow and Israel becomes a dead rubber (can see a few of the big hitters being released back to clubs) so that will be as good a chance as any to give fringe players starts.

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Good result tomorrow and Israel becomes a dead rubber (can see a few of the big hitters being released back to clubs) so that will be as good a chance as any to give fringe players starts.

It won’t be a dead rubber though as we would likely need a win to stand a chance of a World Cup playoff. I do expect Clarke to make a lot of changes though, even for the Slovakia game.