Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 31 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

18 hours ago, Scot1 said:

We have a lot of talent in most of the midfield roles, a bit sparse in the defensive/holding role. In the not too distant future you could go for a midfield 3 of

Gilmour    McGinn  McTominey

McGinn as the holding mid

Same 3 for me but no way should McGinn be holding. Gilmour should be deepest everything should go through him. McTominay beside him and McGinn advanced

6 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Same 3 for me but no way should McGinn be holding. Gilmour should be deepest everything should go through him. McTominay beside him and McGinn advanced

I disagree, I don’t want Gilmour deepest, I want McGinn holding, winning the ball back, doing most of the physical work. You get Gilmour doing that and he won’t be as effective as McGinn and he’ll pick up a lot of injuries because he’s not so well built. I agree, most of the play should go through him, but higher up the pitch. McTominey would be my box to box midfielder. 

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sheffield United are terrible. They will struggle to win any games this season. 

Yep, sadly for them it looks like the other teams in the league have figured them out.

They remind me a bit of the Thistle side of a few seasons ago - a top six finish in the 16/17 season, exceeding expectations, then relegated the following season with essentially the same team.

They also appear to be sticking with their manager too, which shows commendable loyalty, but other teams would have got someone else in by now.

Just noticed that Portsmouth were playing and about to go top of League 1. Craig MacGillivray has been ever present and they have the second best defensive record in the league. Nearly 28 but still young for a keeper so maybe Clarke will be keeping an eye on him.

Apologies but just can't have Craig Gordon as third choice keeper.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just noticed that Portsmouth were playing and about to go top of League 1. Craig MacGillivray has been ever present and they have the second best defensive record in the league. Nearly 28 but still young for a keeper so maybe Clarke will be keeping an eye on him.

Apologies but just can't have Craig Gordon as third choice keeper.

It’s very very pointless and shortsighted having a 38/39 year old third choice keeper.

Also very Scotland too... 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It’s very very pointless and shortsighted having a 38/39 year old third choice keeper.

Also very Scotland too... 

Would Gordon not be backup GK wtih either McLaughlin or a younger GK as 3rd choice?

16 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I disagree, I don’t want Gilmour deepest, I want McGinn holding, winning the ball back, doing most of the physical work. You get Gilmour doing that and he won’t be as effective as McGinn and he’ll pick up a lot of injuries because he’s not so well built. I agree, most of the play should go through him, but higher up the pitch. McTominey would be my box to box midfielder. 

Gilmours job wouldn't be to win the ball back and do most of the physical work that would be McTominays beside him. Gilmours job is to dictate play in the same mould Xabi Alonso did from a slightly deeper role, the same role he plays for Chelsea. McGinn is a massive threat pushed further forward did he not finish our highest scorer in an advanced position this year

4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Gilmours job wouldn't be to win the ball back and do most of the physical work that would be McTominays beside him. Gilmours job is to dictate play in the same mould Xabi Alonso did from a slightly deeper role, the same role he plays for Chelsea. McGinn is a massive threat pushed further forward did he not finish our highest scorer in an advanced position this year

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I understand your thinking. But in my mind I want McGinn sitting in front of the back 4. Gilmour obviously pulling the strings ahead of him, and McTominey carrying the ball forward deep into the opposition half. 

8 hours ago, bazmidd said:

I agree.

You just need to look at his goals he has scored for us in an advanced position. Moving him deeper totally negates that goal threat and at present we can do with all the goal threats we can get. Besides Gilmour is used more in a deeper role for Chelsea and, at the moment, is yet to show he's a goal machine so playing him in a more advanced position doesn't make much sense.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree.

You just need to look at his goals he has scored for us in an advanced position. Moving him deeper totally negates that goal threat and at present we can do with all the goal threats we can get. Besides Gilmour is used more in a deeper role for Chelsea and, at the moment, is yet to show he's a goal machine so playing him in a more advanced position doesn't make much sense.

Gilmour wants to be too involved to be sitting deep. One of his biggest attributes is his movement, mobility, he’s a dynamo in the middle of the park. If you have him sitting deep, you take that away from him and replace it with the responsibility of having to be disciplined and limit his movement. Let McGinn sit, especially as he gets older. Let Gilmour have the freedom to roam around the midfield and control the game.

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Gilmour wants to be too involved to be sitting deep. One of his biggest attributes is his movement, mobility, he’s a dynamo in the middle of the park. If you have him sitting deep, you take that away from him and replace it with the responsibility of having to be disciplined and limit his movement. Let McGinn sit, especially as he gets older. Let Gilmour have the freedom to roam around the midfield and control the game.

I think we are jumping the gun a bit here. Gilmour has not even broken into the side yet and his career is just getting underway. Like I say Chelsea play him more in a holding role whereas that is not McGinn's game. McGinn has scored 7 goals for us so is our most potent threat in our team at present and has been that by playing a supporting role just behind the strikers. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think we are jumping the gun a bit here. Gilmour has not even broken into the side yet and his career is just getting underway. Like I say Chelsea play him more in a holding role whereas that is not McGinn's game. McGinn has scored 7 goals for us so is our most potent threat in our team at present and has been that by playing a supporting role just behind the strikers. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

McGinn has been playing a holding role at Villa recently and looks good there. He has all the attributes to fill this position for us in the future. Especially as he gets older and more experienced. But yes you’re correct it is early days and speculation on my part. 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

McGinn has been playing a holding role at Villa recently and looks good there. He has all the attributes to fill this position for us in the future. Especially as he gets older and more experienced. But yes you’re correct it is early days and speculation on my part. 

And you are ignoring McGinn's goal threat he gives us. With seven goals he is the top scorer in our squad all coming from playing in an advanced role. We need to nurture every goal threat we have and use them to the maximum effect - that is not achieved dropping him deeper in midfield to make way for a player we don't really know what his attributes are.

I’m saying that in the future if we do change the midfield we will be relying on goals more from other players, especially our attacking midfielders like Turnbull. I don’t expect Clarke to have to think about changing our setup for a while but if some of the younger players like Gilmour, Turnbull, Johnston start producing form that makes them difficult to exclude from the team, it may mean a reconfiguration 

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’m saying that in the future if we do change the midfield we will be relying on goals more from other players, especially our attacking midfielders like Turnbull. I don’t expect Clarke to have to think about changing our setup for a while but if some of the younger players like Gilmour, Turnbull, Johnston start producing form that makes them difficult to exclude from the team, it may mean a reconfiguration 

Of course but that is a matter for discussion some way down the line from now. First the likes of Gilmour and Turnbull need to get more first team football, break into the national side, become regulars at national side and show us what they add to the squad as in what their strengths are but at present that is still some way off coming to fruition. Maybe a year or so down the line.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Gilmour has significantly more positional discipline than McGinn. 

Gilmour is brilliant at passing through the lines. Something that is done best from deep.

McGinn is brilliant at hassling players, anticipating loose balls and rolling players. All things that are done best from further forward.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And you are ignoring McGinn's goal threat he gives us. With seven goals he is the top scorer in our squad all coming from playing in an advanced role. We need to nurture every goal threat we have and use them to the maximum effect - that is not achieved dropping him deeper in midfield to make way for a player we don't really know what his attributes are.

3 of them were in swimming pool against San Matino

Edited by ceudmilefailte

6 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I understand your thinking. But in my mind I want McGinn sitting in front of the back 4. Gilmour obviously pulling the strings ahead of him, and McTominey carrying the ball forward deep into the opposition half. 

No. McGinn in advance midfield role. Deeper he gives the ball away too much. Just no.