Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 29 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

5 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Also Forrest and Fraser for the more attacking positions. 

I've been thinking Turnbull and Christie as 2 number 10s behind Dykes. Or Turnbull and Gauld - the recent scoring form of those 2 will help to offset the lack of goals from Dykes or McBurnie. We have to do something to tease more goals from midfield.

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Goal and a good performance by the big striker... Adams for Southampton...miles ahead of McBurnie, sadly. Hate to say it, but we could do with Adams up front. If he keeps this up over the next 3 months it's going to pose a problem for Clarke. My heart says no way, but he appears our best forward option on ability and form.

Eh...this thread is for SCOTTISH players and Adams is not willing to call himself Scottish yet.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol settle down. Turnbull has done well the past couple of games and Gilmour has only started a handful of games for Chelsea. Your already assuming they will be superstars. They look good but theres still mcgregor, christie and Armstrong who will be around for a few years at least. Armstrong has been excellent in the epl and really should be a starter imo. 

It is looking very promising for the future with regards the midfield. 

As a Motherwell fan, I've watched Turnbull for years, ...the boy is a class act and will get better and better...

...Gilmour is going to be playing at the highest level for years, a level,that Christie,  McGregor and Armstrong can only dream of.

19 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

As a Motherwell fan, I've watched Turnbull for years, ...the boy is a class act and will get better and better...

...Gilmour is going to be playing at the highest level for years, a level,that Christie,  McGregor and Armstrong can only dream of.

Doesn't matter if you have watched him for years, some young players don't always make it big. Look at John Fleck, he came through at Rangers at 17 and ppl thought he was the great messiah. Same with Gauld and burke. Young players don't always become the stars we hope they do. As a Scotland fan you must/should know that by now. 

Turnbull will have to do extremely well to replicate Christies form this past couple of years. Armstrong has been excellent in the epl and stood out for celtic before he left so Turnbull has a long way to go before he achieves what those two have. 

As for Gilmour, yes he looks great but you should be more cautious with building him up. He's hardly played for Chelsea. Let's give him some time before we start pinning our hopes on him. The guys you listed have already proved themselves at a decent level and Gilmour and Turnbull have yet til do that so it's premature to suggest we won't need Armstrong, christie and mcgregor etc. It's good to have Gilmour and Turnbull coming through but let's not get carried away until they are consistently playing and performing. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Doesn't matter if you have watched him for years, some young players don't always make it big. Look at John Fleck, he came through at Rangers at 17 and ppl thought he was the great messiah. Same with Gauld and burke. Young players don't always become the stars we hope they do. As a Scotland fan you must/should know that by now. 

Turnbull will have to do extremely well to replicate Christies form this past couple of years. Armstrong has been excellent in the epl and stood out for celtic before he left so Turnbull has a long way to go before he achieves what those two have. 

As for Gilmour, yes he looks great but you should be more cautious with building him up. He's hardly played for Chelsea. Let's give him some time before we start pinning our hopes on him. The guys you listed have already proved themselves at a decent level and Gilmour and Turnbull have yet til do that so it's premature to suggest we won't need Armstrong, christie and mcgregor etc. It's good to have Gilmour and Turnbull coming through but let's not get carried away until they are consistently playing and performing. 

You carry on being cautious, I'm more than happy to hang my hat on these two boys being part of Scotlands midfield for years to come

8 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

You carry on being cautious, I'm more than happy to hang my hat on these two boys being part of Scotlands midfield for years to come

Yeh I believe they will as well but suggesting they will defo be first choice over guys like christie, armstrong and mcgregor is not a given. Both players have done relatively nothing in terms of pro football. I will be very happy if Turnbull and Gilmour get the level of playing regularly for a decent epl side like Armstrong has. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You pretty much nailed it there in a nutshell. 

He rejected us hoping to one day make the England squad. Its looking unlikely he will ever be a first team regular for England so he's been linked with us again now that we are going to the euros. 

Personally I think we should wait til after the euros and then ask him. If he's interested in helping us get to the World Cup then fair enough but it would be unfair on the guys who got us to the euros for him to come in now. 

Would you pick Gilmour and Turnbull for the finals if they have great seasons? 

As much as I don’t agree with Adams qualifying for us, if we’re gonna pick him and he’s good enough, get him in the euro squad. 

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Would you pick Gilmour and Turnbull for the finals if they have great seasons? 

As much as I don’t agree with Adams qualifying for us, if we’re gonna pick him and he’s good enough, get him in the euro squad. 

Yes I would pick Gilmour and Turnbull for the squad if they have excellent seasons. Not sure where the comparison is here. 

Adams should not be allowed until after the euros no matter how good he is. It sends out a message to the guys who turned up and played well that no matter what we will dump you for a guy who doesn't really want to play for us and is only picking us because he can't get a game for his own country and only wants to play for us due to the upcoming tournament. 

If Adams is still interested after the euros then get him in then. He's a good player and would be an excellent addition to the squad. 

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes I would pick Gilmour and Turnbull for the squad if they have excellent seasons. Not sure where the comparison is here. 

Adams should not be allowed until after the euros no matter how good he is. It sends out a message to the guys who turned up and played well that no matter what we will dump you for a guy who doesn't really want to play for us and is only picking us because he can't get a game for his own country and only wants to play for us due to the upcoming tournament. 

If Adams is still interested after the euros then get him in then. He's a good player and would be an excellent addition to the squad. 

Fair enough, I see your point. 

The comparison is Adams or Gilmour/ Turnbull didn’t help us get to the euros. But I understand the difference is Adams rejected us before. 

I would call Adams up for March games.we need guys who can score goals. 

He hasn't played for England. We've had loadsa guys like him playing well and scoring for us. 

Stuart McCall was stripped, in an England strip and on the bench for England, yet he is the guy who scored the winning goal last time we won a game at the world cup 

We might not like it, but the granny rule is there, and we should use it.. we have in the past to our advantage, why stop now. 

9 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Am I the only one who doesn't want this Adams character within a light year of our jersey under any circumstances?

no, i dont think you are.

Would you say the same about Stuart McCall? 

4 minutes ago, stocky said:

no, i dont think you are.

Would you say the same about Stuart McCall? 

No, he's got a Scottish parent and was brought up supporting us.  I don't know how true the story is about him realising he'd made a mistake and deliberately wasting time so he couldn't get on for England U21's and become ineligible for us though.  I've heard it a few times, but he could of course just have been saying that.  I well remember Jock Stein being mad when he turned us down.

This Adams character is different. I doubt he's even been here.  I just don't want my country represented by players with next to no connection who don't give a fck about it.

And no - I didn't want Quashie, Stockdale, Morrison, Elliot or any of the rest of them either.  Hutchison, Alexander - no problem.  I believe international fitba should be our best 11 against theirs, not some glorified extension of the club game.

1 hour ago, Archiesdad said:

He hasn't played for England. We've had loadsa guys like him playing well and scoring for us. 

Stuart McCall was stripped, in an England strip and on the bench for England, yet he is the guy who scored the winning goal last time we won a game at the world cup 

We might not like it, but the granny rule is there, and we should use it.. we have in the past to our advantage, why stop now. 

Can’t be many players who’ve qualified under the granny rule who’ve really made us a better team, in fact James Morrison might be the best? 

8 hours ago, Archiesdad said:

He didn't score the winning goal , Mo Johnston did 

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

No, he's got a Scottish parent and was brought up supporting us.  I don't know how true the story is about him realising he'd made a mistake and deliberately wasting time so he couldn't get on for England U21's and become ineligible for us though.  I've heard it a few times, but he could of course just have been saying that.  I well remember Jock Stein being mad when he turned us down.

This Adams character is different. I doubt he's even been here.  I just don't want my country represented by players with next to no connection who don't give a fck about it.

And no - I didn't want Quashie, Stockdale, Morrison, Elliot or any of the rest of them either.  Hutchison, Alexander - no problem.  I believe international fitba should be our best 11 against theirs, not some glorified extension of the club game.

Why do you doubt he has even been here? How much do you know about his family or personal life?  He is blood connected to Scotland so he is at least part Scottish.

To slate him but be ok with McCall makes zero sence. You dont want Adams because "you believe he he doesnt want to play for Scotland and would only play for England but ignore the fact McCall turned us down, accepted a call upnfor England and was stripped and on the bench waiting to play for them?

People can feel an alligence to more than 1 country. Maybe he has a preference to play for England. Thats hardly a crime, he was born there and they are better than us. That doesnt translate into him never wanting to play for us, not being commited of he did play for us or not being proud if he did the same.

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Why do you doubt he has even been here? How much do you know about his family or personal life?  He is blood connected to Scotland so he is at least part Scottish.

To slate him but be ok with McCall makes zero sence. You dont want Adams because "you believe he he doesnt want to play for Scotland and would only play for England but ignore the fact McCall turned us down, accepted a call upnfor England and was stripped and on the bench waiting to play for them?

People can feel an alligence to more than 1 country. Maybe he has a preference to play for England. Thats hardly a crime, he was born there and they are better than us. That doesnt translate into him never wanting to play for us, not being commited of he did play for us or not being proud if he did the same.

If he has a preference for playing for England then I wish him well and bon voyage.  I don't want us being anyone's second choice.