Update on eligible players? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Update on eligible players?

ICT fan Shaun

56 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A bit like us when we went loopy when Don Hutchison (born in Gateshead) scored against England in the play-off match.

And James Morrison. A player who admittedly got off to an awkward start with us and it took a while for people to warm to him. Yet in time he became a very committed and proud Scotland player who gave his all for us.

He was going mad with joy when he scored against England. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 8:05 PM, csinclair said:

I've seen murmurings of Jack Elliott at Philadelphia Union being recommended to Clarke.
6ft4 ball playing CB plying his trade in MLS, born in London to a Scottish family. 

Philadelphia Union are playing Inter Miami at half 12 tomorrow morning. So a chance to check out Jack Elliot and Lewis Morgan.

There was talk of Harvey Barnes of Leicester, a while back. I would take him in a heartbeat, if he was interested. It's been a while since we had a real creative spark. Forrest and Christie try, but they lack any real quality. And Fraser, well, he doesn't try and he lack any real quality.

32 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Philadelphia Union are playing Inter Miami at half 12 tomorrow morning. So a chance to check out Jack Elliot and Lewis Morgan.

There was talk of Harvey Barnes of Leicester, a while back. I would take him in a heartbeat, if he was interested. It's been a while since we had a real creative spark. Forrest and Christie try, but they lack any real quality. And Fraser, well, he doesn't try and he lack any real quality.

Jack Elliot is the very definition of mediocrity according to Who Scored so I wouldn't get too excited 

54 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Harvey Barnes is called up for England's upcoming games. He never had any interest in playing for us. Move on.

Aww come on what does trivial stuff like that matter. Let people like him blow us out and wait for England then when they come with their tail between their legs claiming eligibility and some gullible nay desperate fans will welcome them. Not me.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, wanderer said:

who exactly is the "deadwood".... based on our recent squad, only players I look at and think "there is no real need for you" is Taylor and O'Donnell (but can understand why out of those two SoD is there)

Fleck and McLean had poor games last night, but they are playing at a top level in England (will not count Patterson as he was not in the original squad)

Everyone else really is there on some merit to a degree.

I wouldn't have Taylor in the "deadwood" category. In fact I would have him in the starting line up for the play off.

36 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Aww come on what does trivial stuff like that matter. Let people like him blow us out and wait for England then when they come with their tail between their legs claiming eligibility and some gullible nay desperate fans will welcome them. Not me.

That's usually the kind of wanker that plays far too much Football Manager for their own good and gets all excited when they find a player who's "Secondary Nationality" is listed as Scotland. 

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's usually the kind of wanker that plays far too much Football Manager for their own good and gets all excited when they find a player who's "Secondary Nationality" is listed as Scotland. 

Whats gullible is thinking we were the first choice for English born players like morrison and quashie. 

When did "You play Football Manager" become the go-to insult?

Managers, coaches and even footballers play it, so I don't know why it's become a reactionary joke to some people.

Personally, I haven't played it since 2013.

As for dual nationality:

Players like Graham Alexander, Don Hutchinson, if they had a choice, would've picked Scotland over England, Scott McTominay did.

Edited by Taylor1996

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

When did "You play Football Manager" become the go-to insult?

Managers, coaches and even footballers play it, so I don't know why it's become a reactionary joke to some people.

Personally, I haven't played it since 2013.

As for dual nationality:

Players like Graham Alexander, Don Hutchinson, if they had a choice, would've picked Scotland over England, Scott McTominay did.

Go on name the managers who play Football Manager then.

Actually, it's well known that Graham Alexander has identified as being Scottish since childhood. When he played for Scunthorpe and Luton he sometimes found time to attend Scotland games. He was among the Scotland support at France 98 too.

20 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Go on name the managers who play Football Manager then.

The current Manchest United manager: "It's a fantastic game, I have learned a lot about football from it," Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said back in 2013."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4084425/from-solskjaer-to-griezmann-how-football-manager-keeps-virtual-fans-engaged%3fplatform=amp

Cue the obvious jokes about him not being a good manager/he'll be out of a job in a couple months, etc. He's a manager and he clearly plays it/has played it. Point made.

Tons of players play it. Scouts use it. In 2018, Everton bought the rights to the Football Manager database. 

It's the easiest thing in the world to be snooty and tear things down. It takes little effort.

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Southampton looking to cash in on Angus Gunn today, with Stoke favourites to sign him in a swap deal, so looks like he is even further out the picture with regards to a England call up.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer lad although always liked and respected his dad. Always turned up as number 3 goalie behind Leighton and Goram. Son, not so and hopefully McCrorie makes that position his own in years to come.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Southampton looking to cash in on Angus Gunn today, with Stoke favourites to sign him in a swap deal, so looks like he is even further out the picture with regards to a England call up.

Hopefully that’s the last time Angus Gunn is mentioned in this forum