Coronavirus - Page 284 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

17 hours ago, tartandon said:

This type of story should be all over the mainstream media in this country but there is zero mention of it. It's maddening

Especially if they contextualise it and show that the vaccine (less effective one than the ones we're using) is still working effectively there. 

Then we can all fully understand rather than just posting links when we know very little about what's being reported. 

21 hours ago, Lamia said:

Of course we think we are different to the rest of the world and have done from the very start.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/05/05/world/seychelles-lockdown/

That article doesn't mention how many cases they had.

I think Perth Australia went into lockdown last month after they found about three cases. We need some numbers to make it meaningful.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Especially if they contextualise it and show that the vaccine (less effective one than the ones we're using) is still working effectively there. 

Then we can all fully understand rather than just posting links when we know very little about what's being reported. 

The trials for Sinopharm are a bit dubious as well according to the WHO so even better news.

We should still open up cautiously though, we certainly should be ramping up more doses.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I made absolutely no comment on the efficacy of the vaccine. I was simply pointing out that they had gone back into lockdown so the vaccine isn't the be all and end all that many here seem to think it is

Ooooft 1 in 60,000 risk of blood clots for for 30-40 yos. Hate to think what these rates would have been had we progressed with plans to vaccinate 18-30yos. Would have certainly been unnecessary excess deaths in young people. An obvious outcome given the maths involved, which everybody on this thread were enthusiastic to ignore/ridicule/embrace even!

Under 40s to be offered alternative to AZ vaccine - BBC News

On 5/6/2021 at 6:52 PM, Lamia said:

I made absolutely no comment on the efficacy of the vaccine. I was simply pointing out that they had gone back into lockdown so the vaccine isn't the be all and end all that many here seem to think it is

The vaccine they've used is less effective than our ones and is still working effectively. 

The article you posted failed entirely to tell the full story. It was scaremongering. 

I did wonder if there are cultural reasons for the spread with closer living arrangements in certain groups that led to high levels of infection in certain areas earlier on in the pandemic.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Things starting to move up again a bit, however might just be noise since everything really low so a wee outbreak skews data.

I would say there is an increase. 

Why anyone thinks foreign holidays and hugging is a good idea is beyond me. 

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

I did wonder if there are cultural reasons for the spread with closer living arrangements in certain groups that led to high levels of infection in certain areas earlier on in the pandemic.

The worst effected area in Ontario is Brampton.

(Affectionately referred to as 'Bramladesh' because of the high East Indian population.)

The positivity rate was recently as high as 22.4%.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Looks like we have gone all out 4 nations approach and thrown in the towel.

It's just what happens when you're in bed with an elephant (England).

For perspective, political debate (including the covid response) here in Ireland is also heavily influenced by what's going on across the water.

44 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

It's just what happens when you're in bed with an elephant (England).

For perspective, political debate (including the covid response) here in Ireland is also heavily influenced by what's going on across the water.

From what I have seen Ireland (the Republic) has taken a significantly more cautious approach.

18 minutes ago, Lamia said:

From what I have seen Ireland (the Republic) has taken a significantly more cautious approach.

Certainly in the early days, and last summer.

But we've had the longest lockdown in Europe, and the Irish look across the water and see Britain opening up, so pressure is intense on the government. The pace of Ireland's reopening is now faster than Scotland's, relative to the percentage of population vaccinated - which i put down to people seeing what's happening in Britain (and up north in NI of course).

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

What I really want to know is how Wales seem to be doing so  much better than everyone else.

I think Wales have been more aggressive in their vaccination strategy.

I think we have been slightly more cautious and have been keeping some of our vaccine supply in reserve in case of further supply issues.

Wales look as if they are trying to keep a very short lead time between vaccine supply arriving in the country, and then getting it out to cover vaccinations. If there were an unexpected issue with supply they could potentially be faced with having to cancel some appointments due to lack of supply.

We appear to have taken a very prudent approach to supply allocation so that we aren't faced with potentially having to cancel appointments.