Coronavirus - Page 283 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

34 minutes ago, phart said:

Young people have certainly given up a lot, not as much as the health professionals that have died through becoming infected by treating folk.

I agree phart, people who've died have given up more than people who haven't. 

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. Especially when the people who've given up most during the entirety of this (young people), are the ones who the "working from home" middle aged professionals & OAP's are having a pop at. 

Little wonder some young people will give up with all the restrictions then. They're the ones least likely to be impacted health wise yet have been most impacted financially, yet are the ones being blamed? 

The people who have actually lost the most are Care Home residents but no one gives a stuff cos they are old and " have had their lives". But they have been locked up, banned from leaving to home and banned from seeing family or having any visitors for over a year. Some have been allowed very limited visits at periods within that but in some cases not at all and many have died having seen no one in over a year.

No one can actually seem to put themselves in that situation but just give it a go......

Yes young people have lost a lot but they have their whole lives ahead of them to rebuild so I simply don't buy that they have been most affect especially since they have had choices. They could choose to and have broken rules. Care  Home residents have had no choice at all but to remain within their 4 walls and even if they were desperate have been denied seeing their family and friends. They could not afford to lose that time because their time is so limited.

I lost why mum at the start of April. We lost over a year together and now that restrictions are easily it is too late. That isn't how your life should end.

9 hours ago, Lamia said:

The people who have actually lost the most are Care Home residents but no one gives a stuff cos they are old and " have had their lives".

Who doesn't give a stuff? You've just attributed that attitude to everyone. I doesn't actually exist outside your own mind. 

9 hours ago, Lamia said:

But they have been locked up, banned from leaving to home and banned from seeing family or having any visitors for over a year. Some have been allowed very limited visits at periods within that but in some cases not at all and many have died having seen no one in over a year.

Yup. Desperately sad. The whole of society however has been focussed on doing things to protect them. They, unfortunately for them, are the ones who're most at risk to COVID. They're the ones who really needed protecting. 

9 hours ago, Lamia said:

No one can actually seem to put themselves in that situation but just give it a go......

I do that every other day when I help go care for my elderly relatives who live in sheltered housing and have barely left the house in a year. 

I lost why mum at the start of April. We lost over a year together and now that restrictions are easily it is too late. That isn't how your life should end.

I'm sorry for your loss. 

9 hours ago, Lamia said:

The people who have actually lost the most are Care Home residents but no one gives a stuff cos they are old and " have had their lives". But they have been locked up, banned from leaving to home and banned from seeing family or having any visitors for over a year. Some have been allowed very limited visits at periods within that but in some cases not at all and many have died having seen no one in over a year.

Yes young people have lost a lot but they have their whole lives ahead of them to rebuild so I simply don't buy that they have been most affect especially since they have had choices. They could choose to and have broken rules. Care  Home residents have had no choice at all but to remain within their 4 walls and even if they were desperate have been denied seeing their family and friends. They could not afford to lose that time because their time is so limited.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Lamia, I cannot imagine how heartbreaking it must be to lose a loved one in these circumstances. I lost my mum 2 years ago and the one small consolation I have is that she went before Covid struck as that would most certainly have taken her. 

I agree with you, the last year of someones life should not be on their own without family. Whilst I greatly sympathise with the severe restrictions placed on young people, there is no doubt in my mind who has suffered most from this virus. It must be frightening enough for the elderly dealing with poor health and their own mortality  even in the best if times, never mind over the past year.

Parklife is right in that everyone has been focused on trying to protect the elderly , and unfortunately the risk of contracting and spreading the virus has had to take precedence. I know mistakes were made in care homes in the early months but I think the vast majority of people have genuinely put the elderly’s health first and foremost. 

Sadly it is too late for your mum and all the other people who have lost their lives ,  but I would hope  that once this virus is firmly under control any investigation not only looks at the failings of some of the decisions but at how we could have provided the elderly living alone and in care homes with more access to loved ones within a safe environment X

46 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Who doesn't give a stuff? You've just attributed that attitude to everyone. I doesn't actually exist outside your own mind. 

That is the attitude I have encountered so forgive me for sharing my experience.

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Lamia, I cannot imagine how heartbreaking it must be to lose a loved one in these circumstances. I lost my mum 2 years ago and the one small consolation I have is that she went before Covid struck as that would most certainly have taken her. 

I agree with you, the last year of someones life should not be on their own without family. Whilst I greatly sympathise with the severe restrictions placed on young people, there is no doubt in my mind who has suffered most from this virus. It must be frightening enough for the elderly dealing with poor health and their own mortality  even in the best if times, never mind over the past year.

Parklife is right in that everyone has been focused on trying to protect the elderly , and unfortunately the risk of contracting and spreading the virus has had to take precedence. I know mistakes were made in care homes in the early months but I think the vast majority of people have genuinely put the elderly’s health first and foremost. 

Sadly it is too late for your mum and all the other people who have lost their lives ,  but I would hope  that once this virus is firmly under control any investigation not only looks at the failings of some of the decisions but at how we could have provided the elderly living alone and in care homes with more access to loved ones within a safe environment X

❤️ 

When it came to protecting life in Care Homes I believe that became more about protecting votes and reputations than care for the people in the homes. Politicians wanted to avoid more bad press and some Care Homes wanted to protect their own names and reputations. 

When you are close to a situation you are more aware of attitudes of others to that situation and I have seen and heard some awful things that clearly indicate many people simply don't care about those in Care Homes actual wellbeing. These people have no voice. Others have tried to speak for them but have simply been ignored and dismissed with platitudes leaving people to die a lonely death within the 4 walls they have been forced to stay in for over a year. Any other group of people treated like this would be a major human rights issue fought against by many not the very few who have tried to do so here.

55 minutes ago, Lamia said:

❤️

When it came to protecting life in Care Homes I believe that became more about protecting votes and reputations than care for the people in the homes. Politicians wanted to avoid more bad press and some Care Homes wanted to protect their own names and reputations. 

When you are close to a situation you are more aware of attitudes of others to that situation and I have seen and heard some awful things that clearly indicate many people simply don't care about those in Care Homes actual wellbeing. These people have no voice. Others have tried to speak for them but have simply been ignored and dismissed with platitudes leaving people to die a lonely death within the 4 walls they have been forced to stay in for over a year. Any other group of people treated like this would be a major human rights issue fought against by many not the very few who have tried to do so here.

I agree that certain groups of people wanted to hide what was happening for their own personal and political interests. I hope there is enough public interest out there to ensure these are robustly addressed  in any inquiry and not swept under the carpet.

I know there are a lot of good Care Homes  with dedicated staff,  but sadly Care Homes have become a cash cow for capitalists over the past 10-15 years and they will fight tooth and nail to protect their reputation.  Covid has however drawn much more attention to them , hopefully this focus will force all involved, owners and politicians alike,  to shake up the system.
When you are close to a situation like you have been the frustration and feeling of helplessness must be overwhelming . 

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm very sorry to hear of your Mum's passing, Susan.

I hope that all the good thoughts and memories that you have of her will help to bring you comfort at this time.

Keep well and be safe.

❤️

Sorry to hear about your Mum.

For what it's worth I think the care homes decision was a bad decision taken in good faith. At that stage the level of transmission and methods of transmission weren't understood, and the traditional thinking of trying to keep old folk out of hospital, because that's where they pick up infections that kill them, came to the fore. Wrong decision given what we know now, obviously.

9 hours ago, biffer said:

Sorry to hear about your Mum.

For what it's worth I think the care homes decision was a bad decision taken in good faith. At that stage the level of transmission and methods of transmission weren't understood, and the traditional thinking of trying to keep old folk out of hospital, because that's where they pick up infections that kill them, came to the fore. Wrong decision given what we know now, obviously.

Thanks ❤️

We all accepted the decision at the start. The fact that it went on for over a year is unforgivable. In my view it stopped being in good faith long ago.

I see people are still thinking that when you go to the pub or restaurant you only need to stay 1m from households on other tables. If you are on the same table Covid knows not to infect people cos you know each other!

On 5/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, phart said:

lvy88z52fpw61.jpg

What a weird fucking country we live in! Watched the news this morning essentially telling minks to think twice about overseas summer holidays whilst SSN are reporting bringing the IPL boys home like the spirit of Dunkirk II. They took their chances for the loot and it's bitten them on the arse - by all means get them out as quickly as possible but playing the sympathy card seems a bit out of order given the chaos over there.  There was a hospital in Delhi where the family of a patient who died due to lack of oxygen/ bed kicked off and started smashing up wards and battering staff!  

Different perspective and biased admittedly but one of my nieces from the mrs side works in ICU in a hospital in Bangalore and is currently dealing with on average 3 deaths before her lunch working 7 days a week without a day off in over a month and Bangalore isn't even the worst affected!  

On 4/30/2021 at 10:48 PM, Lamia said:

I see people are still thinking that when you go to the pub or restaurant you only need to stay 1m from households on other tables. If you are on the same table Covid knows not to infect people cos you know each other!

Given the test positivity  and the very low number of cases just now, then it appears not to be making much of a difference. 

The world needs to open up at some point. 

If kids (none of whom have been vaccinated) can sit n a class with 30 folk in it for hours on end, then i think it's fine for 2 folk to be sit within one metre at a table in a cafe with test and protect in operation. 

We need to get get back to a semblance of normality at some point. I actually think some folk would be happy to be stuck with these restrictions forever. 

Would be literally no point most places opening if they had to check waht household folk come from and make sure they were 1m apart.

57 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Given the test positivity  and the very low number of cases just now, then it appears not to be making much of a difference. 

The world needs to open up at some point. 

If kids (none of whom have been vaccinated) can sit n a class with 30 folk in it for hours on end, then i think it's fine for 2 folk to be sit within one metre at a table in a cafe with test and protect in operation. 

We need to get get back to a semblance of normality at some point. I actually think some folk would be happy to be stuck with these restrictions forever. 

Would be literally no point most places opening if they had to check waht household folk come from and make sure they were 1m apart.

Whether it is effective or not is a separate argument. The rules exist but no one seems to understand them. It is not about people checking it is about them disregarding. 

Of course we need to get back to some normality but at this point not enough people have been vaccinated. I believe herd immunity only kicks in at around 70-80% 

We had alll these arguments this time last summer as well about normality, now of course the difference is the vaccination system in place! But last year a new variant came along which was more virulent and was about 0.1 R away from collapsing our healthcare system. So some vigilance is needed.

Fortunately the models are predicting an increasingly smaller exist wave as we progress in time. We'll need to see what happens when foreign travel opens up again, things are moving along well though.

WE can open up a bit at time wait the lag period and then see where we are, rinse and repeat.

10 hours ago, Lamia said:

Whether it is effective or not is a separate argument. The rules exist but no one seems to understand them. It is not about people checking it is about them disregarding. 

Of course we need to get back to some normality but at this point not enough people have been vaccinated. I believe herd immunity only kicks in at around 70-80% 

The other thing that most people are disregarding is the actual definition of vaccinated. You only have partial protection after the first jag. You are not deemed to be fully vaccinated until 2-3 weeks after your second jag.

Given the 12-week period between jags in this country, there is the potential for a higher degree of complacency among the population which could result in some people not getting their second jag.

When you also factor in the ongoing vaccine supply delays, we could still be several months away from getting close to  70-80% of the population being fully vaccinated.

Foreign travel and the potential importation of mutant strains which are vaccine-resistant is the main danger. We should be guarding against the possible importation of strains which could jeopardise the current progress. I'm pretty sure most sensible people would forego foreign travel if it meant an earlier return to domestic normality.

14 hours ago, tartandon said:

The other thing that most people are disregarding is the actual definition of vaccinated. You only have partial protection after the first jag. You are not deemed to be fully vaccinated until 2-3 weeks after your second jag.

Given the 12-week period between jags in this country, there is the potential for a higher degree of complacency among the population which could result in some people not getting their second jag.

When you also factor in the ongoing vaccine supply delays, we could still be several months away from getting close to  70-80% of the population being fully vaccinated.

Foreign travel and the potential importation of mutant strains which are vaccine-resistant is the main danger. We should be guarding against the possible importation of strains which could jeopardise the current progress. I'm pretty sure most sensible people would forego foreign travel if it meant an earlier return to domestic normality.

Agreed!