Coronavirus - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

Guy in my work went to Northern Italy for a long weekend (just last weekend there!), came back in on Wednesday and was sent home in the afternoon after telling the work where he'd been.

After consulting the Helpline they said as he hadn't been to any of the Category 1 areas and wasn't displaying any symptoms he should be fine.... but wait for it...... has volunteered to work from home for 2 weeks (after potentially smiting everyone in work).

Knob.

13 minutes ago, Coldo said:

Guy in my work went to Northern Italy for a long weekend (just last weekend there!), came back in on Wednesday and was sent home in the afternoon after telling the work where he'd been.

After consulting the Helpline they said as he hadn't been to any of the Category 1 areas and wasn't displaying any symptoms he should be fine.... but wait for it...... has volunteered to work from home for 2 weeks (after potentially smiting everyone in work).

Knob.

Off-the-charts levels of selfishness.

’Knob’ seems fair.

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I think you're right...I'm starting to move past the joking around about it phase (Phase 1 in my version of the Government's strategy) & am getting to the next phase of 'bloody hell this could get nasty'. My wife (generally fit as a fiddle herself) has me with a serious lung problem, her mum & dad are both generally in good health but in their mid/late 80s plus 2 very young grandchildren. She's glued to the news every night now thinking that one bit of bad luck & she could end up wiping out half her family.

It's weird but a few years ago, I used to go to various strategic planning groups for my work & we once had a civil servant present the national risk assessment tool used for various planning activities. It was stamped 'highly confidential' although he said he didn't really think anyone cared too much if it leaked out. It was the usual mix of likelihood & severity. The only thing on it that was marked as both high likelihood & severe impact was a global pandemic. I've pretty much had it in my head ever since that one of these days...& even if we fix this one there's probably another not far down the tracks.

Anyway, that's enough misery for one day. I'm away to look for some places beginning with T.

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

I am very worried now. Not for myself but I have a few elderly relatives including both parents who are right in the danger zone now. One has a history of having a weak chest as well. It is extremely concerning at this point. Just don't see how they can stop this. The worst thing is you could end up infecting them yourself. Fucking nightmare.

I can understand how worrying it must be for people in the ‘ at risk’ categories . My mum died a year ago from COPD and I know I would feel the same if she was still here. I think all people can do is try to adhere to all the advice to try and contain it and have people at risk as isolated as possible. 

My work has cancelled  all business travel  and may be sending 50% of our team to our disaster recovery site. 

Another link to read, might not tell you much more than you already know but its not too long. 
http://www.microbiologynutsandbolts.co.uk/the-bug-blog/covid-19-update-coz-you-havent-had-enough-of-it-already

2 hours ago, Coldo said:

Knob.

People buying up hoards of hand sanitisers etc. Selfish bassas too. 

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I am now also starting to think this might be worse than I had expected. Initially I thought "Ach it's just another virus which will kill a few 100,000 folk then get largely forgotten about". But It's starting to look like it could be a bit more serious than that. 

What's happening in Italy is what has got me worried. They don't seem to have that under control and the mortality rate seems to be much higher there. That could be down to a number of different reasons and hopefully the stats have just been distorted a wee bit by something which hasn't been highlighted yet. 

Time to get the respirators out of the garage and go into lockdown. I'm no answering the door to anyone.

Shaking hands should be banned immediately, and as for all that hugging nonsense, that has always been ridiculously daft behaviour.

Italy has a really old population. Not sure if that's skewed it but average ages are well above mean.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

I still think it’s overblown 😳

I hope you're right.

Let us know if you still feel the same when you are taking those flights back home for the playoff and you are surrounded by all those potentially disease ridden passengers. ;)

To be honest, one of the reasons I'm starting to be more concerned is that I will be taking a few flights over the next few weeks. I know that is totally illogical. But our brains do funny things to us sometimes.:lol:

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nah - i think it's worse than they are letting on 

The objective is to delay the panic and not the infection IMO 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51731422

To me, the reaction from day one has seemed a bit unusual to me, which made me think that there might be something that they are not telling us. But nothing has come out so far, so I'm hoping that it continues that way and it just turns out to be another "new virus situation".

2 hours ago, Coldo said:

Knob.

Is he not just doing what he has been told? 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Didn't know that. That could well be a factor. 

I didn't know till yesterday when i was reading some analysis of the virus. Something like average age of 45 compared to 37 in say the US.

2 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

face mask count at Heathrow’s terminal 3 on Wednesday 15 folk and not one person on the the flight to Perth Australia with a mask on  

I’m going to show some total ignorance here.....

What do face masks do? Are you not still breathing the same air? Do they have some kind of filter system within them? Or is there another obvious way that they work, and I’m being totally stupid? I’ve often wondered that, when I see people wearing them for pollution reasons rather than infection reasons.

10 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m going to show some total ignorance here.....

What do face masks do? Are you not still breathing the same air? Do they have some kind of filter system within them? Or is there another obvious way that they work, and I’m being totally stupid? I’ve often wondered that, when I see people wearing them for pollution reasons rather than infection reasons.

There seems to be a belief that you will be protected which does not appear to have any science to support it. It would appear though that the masks can help you in not spreading germs by catching coughs and sneezes.

31 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I read something that said smoking is a fucking massive factor in the death rates.

The thing I posted the other day said that and gave some stats to back it up. Apparently 51% of all male smokers in the world are in China. 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The thing I posted the other day said that and gave some stats to back it up. Apparently 51% of all male smokers in the world are in China. 

It is a respiratory virus so if you have unhealthy lungs through smoking it wont help

10 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Don’t know if it has been mentioned already, but just saw that a writer called dean koontz wrote a fictional book called eyes of darkness in 1980 about a virus called wuhan 400. 

Nah, its made up, the virus was called Gorki in his book originally.