Oli McBurnie - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't get Shankland, is there some sort of mental issue that has stopped from at least trying at a higher level?

While there’s no denying he’s an excellent goal scorer at his current level just now, he’s had his moments where he’s been poor.

Aberdeen were happy to release him and his second loan spell at St Mirren was woeful where he piled on the weight.

He was close to drifting further down the leagues after another unconvincing spell at Morton.

Its only been the last 18 months or so that he’s finally got his act together, thanks mostly to Ian McCall.

I hope he has another prolific season and makes the step up either to another club or with Utd but is there perhaps a reason that English or Scottish Premier clubs never took at chance this summer?

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I have watched the video again as I’m pretty sure McBurnie says ‘I don’t know’ and not ‘I hope not’. 

It’s difficult to tell with his accent though. 

Think you may be right with this, he's got a similar accent to me (both from West Yorkshire) and it sounds a lot more like 'I don't know'

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

Exactly, it doesn't tally with someone who a year ago was prepared to fly to South America to play in an end of season friendly. 

On the other hand, people often do things that don't make sense. Hopefully this gets clarified soon.

Can only think something happened during the Kazhakstan trip to make him allegedly have this attitude.

Very disappointing, guy is still getting to grips with international level but will be a good forward in time as he's proved last few years at club level and could well do in premier league this season.

37 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Don't be ridiculous 

Why? We have Naismith, McBurnie, and Russell, Shankland certainly wouldn't look out of place in the company of these 3 greats...

On a serious note, McGinn was deemed good enough whilst playing in the championship we dont have Fletcher or Griffiths which leaves plenty of space to bring in Shankland and have a look at him. 

37 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't get Shankland, is there some sort of mental issue that has stopped him from at least trying at a higher level?

Shankland thought that was him made when on Aberdeens books. When McCall eventually took him to Ayr he told him a few home truths, that was Shanklands last chance at full time football. Since then hes lost about a stone in weight and his overall fitness has improved massively.

19 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can only think something happened during the Kazhakstan trip to make him allegedly have this attitude.

Very disappointing, guy is still getting to grips with international level but will be a good forward in time as he's proved last few years at club level and could well do in premier league this season.

What attitude?

He is saying ‘I don’t know’. 

42 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Think you may be right with this, he's got a similar accent to me (both from West Yorkshire) and it sounds a lot more like 'I don't know'

I worked in Scarborough a few years back so I’m used to the accent.

I think the inflection makes him sound like how a person with a Scottish accent would say ‘I hope not’ but I’m 99% sure he says ‘I don’t know’. 

It also makes more sense in the context of the conversation. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, Rohan said:

Why? We have Naismith, McBurnie, and Russell, Shankland certainly wouldn't look out of place in the company of these 3 greats...

On a serious note, McGinn was deemed good enough whilst playing in the championship we dont have Fletcher or Griffiths which leaves plenty of space to bring in Shankland and have a look at him. 

Shankland thought that was him made when on Aberdeens books. When McCall eventually took him to Ayr he told him a few home truths, that was Shanklands last chance at full time football. Since then hes lost about a stone in weight and his overall fitness has improved massively.

Players from the Scottish Championship should not be called up for Scotland... The standard is ludicrously low 

19 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Players from the Scottish Championship should not be called up for Scotland... The standard is ludicrously low 

McGinn was called up whilst playing in the Scottish Championship... Sometimes the standard of the player is what matters as apose to the league

6 minutes ago, sandyb said:

Can’t believe there is a discussion on this.......cant make out what he says, don’t know the context and on that ......... get a life

You can’t believe there’s a discussion about a Scotland player on a Scotland discussion board?

Anyone that has seen shankland over past couple of seasons can see he is the real deal and upto him how far he goes really. All he lacks is lightening pace. Can see why not been called up for these games but come San Marino, Kazakhstan and Cyprus would be disappointed if he didn’t get a chance. Better than Brophy, and past it Naismith, fletcher, Russell etc. 

Mcburnie deserves his chance now and griffiths when he’s back will no doubt start but could do a lot worse than getting shankland in the squad now 

7 minutes ago, teale27 said:

Anyone that has seen shankland over past couple of seasons can see he is the real deal and upto him how far he goes really. All he lacks is lightening pace. Can see why not been called up for these games but come San Marino, Kazakhstan and Cyprus would be disappointed if he didn’t get a chance. Better than Brophy, and past it Naismith, fletcher, Russell etc. 

Mcburnie deserves his chance now and griffiths when he’s back will no doubt start but could do a lot worse than getting shankland in the squad now 

Johnny Russell is hardly past it as he’s only 29. 

Shankland needs to get a move to higher level before he is considered for the national team. If he’s that good he won’t be in the Championship for long. 

58 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Johnny Russell is hardly past it as he’s only 29. 

Shankland needs to get a move to higher level before he is considered for the national team. If he’s that good he won’t be in the Championship for long. 

I'd say Russell gets an unfair rep because of where he plays but it was the same when he was at Derby. He puts in a better shift than a lot of lads we've had in recent campaigns.

As for Shankland, I'd be interested to know what was said in his talks with Sunderland & with SPL clubs. He said in the summer he was prioritising game time over money with regards to who he'd sign for. Maybe Dundee Utd have said they won't stand in his way for a move if his goals get them promoted whilst guaranteeing him first team football?

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I worked in Scarborough a few years back so I’m used to the accent.

I think the inflection makes him sound like how a person with a Scottish accent would say ‘I hope not’ but I’m 99% sure he says ‘I don’t know’. 

It also makes more sense in the context of the conversation. 

He clearly says 'do you?' to Fleck which would make sense with 'I don't know' but wouldn't with 'I hope not'