Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Groan. Does anyone want me to go through this, again?!?! I sure as f#@$ don't!!

Fine. Once more with feeling.

People bitch and whine about Andrew Robertson not being as effective for Scotland as he is for Liverpool. And they're correct. He isn't as effective for Scotland. Why? Because for Liverpool they usually dominate the ball and if you look at the heat map for Liverpool, he spends 75% of his time on the left wing. Whereas, for Scotland, he's either being pinned back in a left back position, because our ball retention is embarrassing, or he simply doesn't see the ball, as our ball retention is embarrassing.

Why do Austria play David Alaba as an anchorman? He plays center back or left back with Bayern Munich. They play him there because he's their best player and he can get the ball more often when he's in the middle and influence play.

As for McGregor, he reminds me of Lingard of Manchester United. He looks proactive and lively, without actually doing anything. As for Jack. No.

Our best football players are Tierney, McTominay, Robertson and McGinn. If they play in the middle, they'll see more of the ball. It's not everything, but at least it's a foundation.

Tend to agree about why Robertson looks impressive for Scotland but trying to convert him in to a midfielder (already our only strong part of the team) isn't the answer. Alaba can adapt to midfield as he has spent a significant amount of time playing there at club level for Bayern.  That doesn't mean any left back can automatically adapt to being equally competent in midfield. Robertson has no familiarity with the role(nor TIerney) , he might be a disaster there and it could end up undermining our midfield, where we already have several proficient players, as well as nullifying out best player and turning him in to our worst. 

Being blessed with two international class left backs could turn in to a curse if we get too imaginative in trying to find a way to accommodate the both of them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye.. Forrest has been shit hot, time after time right enough 

They used to say Kenny Dalglish never replicated his club form at Liverpool when he played for Scotland. In reality, he was too good for the Scottish diddies he had to play alongside who did not have

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Calling him up to the senior squad doesn't mean we have to play him at all. And, personally, I probably wouldn't give him more than a few minutes to dip

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I don't. The fact that I have to justify a perfectly logical reasoning (over and over again) is... Urgh.

Austria's midfield is relatively weak? They have several midfielders in the Bundesliga, including Leverkusen and Wolfsburg. Not to mention that Austria are 26th in the ratings, as opposed to our 50th. So, whichever way you want to slice it, Austria are better than us. Much better.

Bayern Munich's defense hasn't been brilliant? Dude, they've just won the Bundesliga for the eighth year in a row. This season they won the treble, including the European Cup. In 2020 they won 25 out of 26 matches.

Robertson and TAA get the ball so much because Liverpool dominate possession. And TAA has been touted as a future midfielder by some in the English media.

They're different players? Both are midfielders. Both are worry in stature and like to drift forward. Neither actually contribute anything. The Man United fans hate Lingard and think of him as a waste of space... I'm guessing they'd think the same of McGregor, if he (somehow) joined Man United.

Anyway. I'm done explaining this (as well as the 3-5-2 thing). If you want answers to questions, they're here, just search for them.

He’d need to search through about 15 different profiles though. 😂😂😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Groan. Does anyone want me to go through this, again?!?! I sure as f#@$ don't!!

Fine. Once more with feeling.

People bitch and whine about Andrew Robertson not being as effective for Scotland as he is for Liverpool. And they're correct. He isn't as effective for Scotland. Why? Because for Liverpool they usually dominate the ball and if you look at the heat map for Liverpool, he spends 75% of his time on the left wing. Whereas, for Scotland, he's either being pinned back in a left back position, because our ball retention is embarrassing, or he simply doesn't see the ball, as our ball retention is embarrassing.

Why do Austria play David Alaba as an anchorman? He plays center back or left back with Bayern Munich. They play him there because he's their best player and he can get the ball more often when he's in the middle and influence play.

As for McGregor, he reminds me of Lingard of Manchester United. He looks proactive and lively, without actually doing anything. As for Jack. No.

Our best football players are Tierney, McTominay, Robertson and McGinn. If they play in the middle, they'll see more of the ball. It's not everything, but at least it's a foundation.

Robertson or Tierney need to play at LB assuming Clarke plays with a back 4. Tierney is very rarely in the squad so Robertson has been playing there. 

It wouldn’t make much sense to have Robertson playing in midfield if we need to play a far inferior player at LB. especially when we already have decent midfielders. 

If - and it’s a big if - Clarke starts playing 3 at the back then he would probably go with Tierney as one of the back 3 and Robertson as left wing back. 

Serious question, I’m not trying to be an arse - do you have any coaching experience? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Robertson or Tierney need to play at LB assuming Clarke plays with a back 4. Tierney is very rarely in the squad so Robertson has been playing there. 

It wouldn’t make much sense to have Robertson playing in midfield if we need to play a far inferior player at LB. especially when we already have decent midfielders. 

If - and it’s a big if - Clarke starts playing 3 at the back then he would probably go with Tierney as one of the back 3 and Robertson as left wing back. 

Serious question, I’m not trying to be an arse - do you have any coaching experience? 

To be honest, mate, I'm sick of talking about it. 

Clarke will not play 3 at the back. If he's anything like Levein or Strachan, he'll play with a three as a last resort, at the end of his tenure, and for one or two matches, and then revert to form.

Formally? No. My nephew used to be in the Hamilton youths (a few years below McArthur and McCarthy), so I take credit for that. He gave up when his kneecap ended up on the wrong side of his leg.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Serious question, I’m not trying to be an arse - do you have any coaching experience? 

 

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Formally? No. My nephew used to be in the Hamilton youths, so I take credit for that.

Great answer and logic, explains so much.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcnish said:

Tend to agree about why Robertson looks impressive for Scotland but trying to convert him in to a midfielder (already our only strong part of the team) isn't the answer. Alaba can adapt to midfield as he has spent a significant amount of time playing there at club level for Bayern.  That doesn't mean any left back can automatically adapt to being equally competent in midfield. Robertson has no familiarity with the role(nor TIerney) , he might be a disaster there and it could end up undermining our midfield, where we already have several proficient players, as well as nullifying out best player and turning him in to our worst. 

Being blessed with two international class left backs could turn in to a curse if we get too imaginative in trying to find a way to accommodate the both of them.

Yeah. He might be a disaster in midfield. "Might" is the word.

We already know that McGregor, et al, offers us bugger all. How many times do we need to fail before we decide to change things up?

Regardless, Clarke, in my opinion, is not progressive enough to do anything radical, so it's not even worth talking about.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Christie just scored for Celtic against Ferencvaros. McGregor, Forrest, and Taylor started too.

Christie playing up front, Lennon is a fucking dafty. Was a big deflection too.

Forrest his usual shite, created a couple of chances but mostly played bad crosses and ran about without making much impact.

Others all solid 4/10 celtic pish in general

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Christie playing up front, Lennon is a fucking dafty. Was a big deflection too.

Forrest his usual shite, created a couple of chances but mostly played bad crosses and ran about without making much impact.

Others all solid 4/10 celtic pish in general

Well, looks like they are heading out of the Champs League. Disappointing, as the more Scots the better in the competition of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Well, looks like they are heading out of the Champs League. Disappointing, as the more Scots the better in the competition of course. 

Aye dont disagree with you, Lennon is just clueless

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Personally I would go with Anglos next week with exception of McKenna maybe McLaughlin.  Maybe Christie/mcgregor on the bench.

Funny I was thinking the other way as the SPL players are closer to match fit.  Not so sure now.

Think these games are going to come down to attitude and management for all teams.

Pre- Season international friendlies otherwise 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Do Celtic still get a stab at he Europa League if they go out tonight?

Awful night for Scottish football by the looks of it.

 

30 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Yep, drop into the next qualifying round.

I think they go into the 3rd qualifying round which is the one after the next round. 

Not 100% sure though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another masterclass from McGregor tonight, displaying his full range of passing (0-5 yards, backwards and sideways)

If a midfielder, who is 27 and supposed to be at his peak, can't stamp his authority and dominate a Hungarian midfield, I think it's time to re-asses the universal opinion that we have a strong midfield.

He reminds me of Man United's Lingard, who is a figure of fun amongst United fans.

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...