Scott McTominay - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Sorry, but that line up is radio rental. For wing back you need  a player who can get up and down all game long e.g Robertson) . Fleck has got qualities but he looks like he is blowing out of his arse after half an hour.

McTominey needs to be box to box midfielder not a striker, would rather have Christie as a false nine but very happy to persist with Dykes ( never let us down ). Gilmour has started less than 30 first team matches so no way should be considered, Unfortunate but true.

Agree. Fleck at right wing back is a weird suggestion. 

He’s a pretty static player, he couldn’t offer anywhere near as much energy as we need there and is very left footed. 

If you wanted to play a midfielder there then there’s guys like Armstrong and Jack (or McTominay) that could do a job. 

McTominay as a centre forward could work but we really need him affecting the play from deeper. Whether that’s moving forward from defence or in centre midfield. Ideally you’d want him making late runs into the box like Soucek is doing at West Ham or what Lampard used to do at Chelsea. But you’d think that McGinn is the one that Clarke wants to do that role. 

2 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Sorry, but that line up is radio rental. For wing back you need  a player who can get up and down all game long e.g Robertson) . Fleck has got qualities but he looks like he is blowing out of his arse after half an hour.

McTominey needs to be box to box midfielder not a striker, would rather have Christie as a false nine but very happy to persist with Dykes ( never let us down ). Gilmour has started less than 30 first team matches so no way should be considered, Unfortunate but true.

Fleck is a lot more mobile than people think. Did you watch the Chelsea match? He skinned 4 Chelsea players before crossing it.

Besides, Craig Burley wasnt exactly the Duracell Bunny and he did pretty well.

Damn, just found out that Fleck is left footed. Take out Fleck and replace him with McGregor.

In a perfect world, McTominay would be one of the pivots, with license to get to forward, but the trouble is that we don't have anyone of note in attack. I like Dykes, but McTominay would be an upgrade.

There's no doubting that Gilmour should be in the first XI. If he was Welsh or Irish, he'd probably already have ten caps by now. 

Edited by Taylor1996

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You have no fears over the back 5 positions? We have terrible right backs and we are putting a midfielder at centre back. We could do with a couple of top centre backs to come through who can play at epl level and a couple of quality right backs. 

3 or 4 years, if you recall. I expect us to have two absolutely brilliant right backs by then and we already know their names. Centre backs are not a problem either.

24 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Fleck is a lot more mobile than people think. Did you watch the Chelsea match? He skinned 4 Chelsea players before crossing it.

Besides, Craig Burley wasnt exactly the Duracell Bunny and he did pretty well.

Damn, just found out that Fleck is left footed. Take out Fleck and replace him with McGregor.

You think Callum McGregor is right footed too?

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

3 or 4 years, if you recall. I expect us to have two absolutely brilliant right backs by then and we already know their names. Centre backs are not a problem either.

What right backs are these. Please don't say Nathan Patterson, the guys played 2 games for rangers, we don't even know if he's good enough for the spl let alone international or epl level. 

Centre backs are a massive problem as well, we only have 1 that plays in the epl and we have to resort to playing a left back and a midfielder there as well because of our lack of quality in that position. We have 1 or 2 guys coming through but even they might not make it to a good level. 

Its good to be optimistic but deluding ourselves that we have quality players in every position is just not true. 

34 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Centre backs are a massive problem as well, we only have 1 that plays in the epl and we have to resort to playing a left back and a midfielder there as well because of our lack of quality in that position. We have 1 or 2 guys coming through but even they might not make it to a good level. 

Tierney has played a a center back in the EPL and doesn't seem out of place there in his appearances for us.

Hanley and McIntyre are both above average Championship defenders and Hanley was by no means the worst defender in the EPL last season.

You can chuck in Gallagher, McKenna and Hendry if you want, although personally I don't think any of them will ever be good enough, perhaps McKenna?

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apart from McTominay Armstrong is the best midfield option for right wing back. And as nearly every one says Mctominay has to play central midfield.

A fully fit and firing Forrest might work.

Shame about Forrest’s injury problems this season. 

Converting fully into a right wing back would be ideal for Scotland. He’s got the work ethic for it. 

57 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Definitely left footed. 

Why not Jack? 

Ah.

Honestly, I'd rather play Jack in the middle. Apart from Graeme Shinnie (who should be in contention for the squad), Jack is the only real anchorman we have. 

But if we move Jack to right wingback, a double pivot of Gilmour and McTominay would potentially be incredible.

If Swansea get promoted to the EPL, I can see Jay Fulton being considered. 

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

😂😂😂

Any credibility you had is now gone

Yes, he asked if he saw Fleck wizzing past 4 Chelsea players but he hasn't seen him for the past two seasons creating chances for Sheffield with 90% left foot. 

Couldn't make it up, Think Fleck has great qualities but speed and stamina is definitely not included. May as well suggest Charlie Adam

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tierney has played a a center back in the EPL and doesn't seem out of place there in his appearances for us.

Hanley and McIntyre are both above average Championship defenders and Hanley was by no means the worst defender in the EPL last season.

You can chuck in Gallagher, McKenna and Hendry if you want, although personally I don't think any of them will ever be good enough, perhaps McKenna?

It depends on what your standards and expectations are. If your wanting to get to the latter stages of tournaments or even qualify regularly then we will probably need some better centre backs to come through.

Hanley isnt as bad as he's made out but I would much rather a higher quality player who is competent at epl level. Mcintyre has only just broken through so we will have to see if he can make it at a high level. 

Let's be honest mckenna, hendry and gallagher are not centre backs who could cut it in a top league. As you said maybe mckenna might make the step up but he also might not. 

Its a position that we still struggle with, we only have 1 or 2 guys who could cut it at a top European league. If we did have better centre backs I doubt mctominay would be playing there. 

Its nice that we have qualified for the euros but there is still massive problems in key positions such as right back, centre back and striker. If we want to keep qualifying for tournaments then we will need a stronger squad, especially if we want to qualify for the world Cup. 

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Since you are so keen on stats and in particular WhoScored.com, I thought it would be interesting to do some comparisons.

I see that Hanley's rating for last season in the EPL was 6.77, which looks reasonable until you look at Shane Duffy's which was 6.71.

If being 0.06 better than Shane Duffy is a measure of ability then god help us all.

5 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Yes, he asked if he saw Fleck wizzing past 4 Chelsea players but he hasn't seen him for the past two seasons creating chances for Sheffield with 90% left foot. 

Couldn't make it up, Think Fleck has great qualities but speed and stamina is definitely not included. May as well suggest Charlie Adam

Who says you need speed and stamina to be a wingback?

This is a place where I was literally ganged up on and mocked and ridiculed, for years, when I first suggested that we play with a back three. The abuse (most of it turned personsal, and not even about football anymore) only stopped when we played with a back three and qualified for our first tournament in 21 years.

Suppose people were too busy wiping egg off their face.

So you'll excuse me if I pour scorn on the opinions of certain people in this place, because, apparently, who think Scotland shouldn't play with a back three because "none of our players play in a back three at club level". Oh, also, our players shouldn't play out of position... another suggestion of mind that was scoffed at.

You'd think people would learn from the past.

Edited by Taylor1996

19 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

SofaScore does.

I'd rather play Fleck or McGregor as right wing back, regardless of their footedness. As long as it's not Stuart Armstrong.

Might be an idea if you actually watched some Scottish football instead of some weird website. Then you would know for sure who was right-footed and who was left. Not to know that Christie is a leftie is as unforgiveable as your prejudice against Stuart Armstrong for making a one-off mistake against England.